why does everyones hair look so straight?

BSweet

like 2 weeks post my hair is a poof..and won't stay down cause of my roots. I don't like to use heat so i don't flat iron or hot comb my roots after a wash. I just don't understand how everyone elses hair is so straight and silky looking all the time unless... some of ya do use heat on your roots after a wash?

Does your hair grow out instead of down?

Maybe you should try combing your roots (while wet and with conditioner or a shampoo) down to eliminate the poor from when it dries. I never use heat on my roots. Even when I flat iron. I'm too scared. lol

BSweet said:
like 2 weeks post my hair is a poof..and won't stay down cause of my roots. I don't like to use heat so i don't flat iron or hot comb my roots after a wash. I just don't understand how everyone elses hair is so straight and silky looking all the time unless... some of ya do use heat on your roots after a wash?

Girl, if you have new growth 2 weeks post, you're lucky. My hair doesn't poof until about the 4th or 5th week.

Some of us get roller stes which helps in straightening/softening the new growth, while others use the baggy technique which allows the hair to set overnight.:)

are you airdrying your hair? My roots tend to stay smooth if I do this:

detangle
use some leave in and oils
use elasta qp mango butter on the egdges
put in ponytail
tie hair down with scarf
Let it try about 80 percent, blow dry on medium heat and maybe flat iron if really needed.

HTH

If my hair is rollerset I flatiron the roots. If it's just going to be in a bun I airdry it partially, bun it, and tie it down with a scarf.

Last edited:
My NG makes my hair poofy too, so during rollersets I have to make sure my hair stays soaked , that way the ng will dry straighter.

My hair doesn't poof, but maybe you're in a climate where there's high humidity. Do you wear a scarf on your hair at night? I would try Sabino's Moisture Block to keep your hair from swelling.

My hair never poofs, ever. People always ask me how do i keep my hair so straight.But I think it is because I use Aveda Brilliant serum ( al ittle bit to seal my leave-in) while wet and dry (a little bit while flat ironing).

^^^..lol MizaniMami..your the reason i started this thread...your hair is always so damn straight..lol

...the only time my hair is flat and straight is after a blow out..im gonna get one this weekend to see my true length..i was gonna wait but i change my mind..rollersets do kinda help butt not really..and yes i do sleep with a scarf..and i use affirm which i'm not a big fan of..i want to switch..but my roots seriously just poof up 2-3 weeks post

BSweet said:

Like someone else said, you are lucky if you have newgrowth 2 weeks post! For me when I'm about 4 weeks post, I use mango butter on my edges and while my hair is wet, I part or comb it back and tie a satin scarf around my head, always comes out flat.

I use heat maybe once a month or once every 2 months when I'm at the salon. I never use heat when styling at home.

GIRL - NOT EVERYONE- MY HAIR IS STILL A POOF THANKS TO THIS TEXLAX THING. EVEN WITH ROLLERSTTING, IT STILL DOESN'T DO IT AND MY HAIR ISN'T LONG ENOUGH AT LEAST TO ME PERSONALLY TO WRAP AROUND THE ROLLER TAUTLY (IS THAT A WORD?) TO MAKE STRAIGHT.

^^^ whateva..stop showin off...lol

and no it is new growth..plus i'm doing the no combing thing so..my newgrowth is just really curly so even if the rest of my hair is straight my new growth just makes my hair poofy...maybe my hair does just grow out and not down..whomp whomp whomp :ohwell:

BSweet said:
^^^ whateva..stop showin off...lol

and no it is new growth..plus i'm doing the no combing thing so..my newgrowth is just really curly so even if the rest of my hair is straight my new growth just makes my hair poofy...maybe my hair does just grow out and not down..whomp whomp whomp :ohwell:

There is a lady from another hair forum that I go to (who is an absolute guru) and she says that the reason why hair frizzes up in humidity is because it needs moisture. She says that if you deep condition and give it the proper moisture it already needs, then when it is hit with moisture from humidity it won't take it, therefore you hair shouldn't frizz. Don't know how true that is...

my hair doesnt frizz up..my new growth when it comes in is just really poofy and curly..and therefore my hair just doesnt lay flat...so what mizanimami..do you think your newgrowth just comes in straight or something?

BSweet said:
my hair doesnt frizz up..my new growth when it comes in is just really poofy and curly..and therefore my hair just doesnt lay flat...so what mizanimami..do you think your newgrowth just comes in straight or something?

Girl have you seen my album?! I am a triple 4b.:lol: But the key (for me anyways) for blocking humidity is applying my serum (Aveda brilliant serum) to wet hair, and to dry while I am flat ironing. Then I wrap it up every night and secure it with my silk scarf.

MizaniMami said:
Girl have you seen my album?! I am a triple 4b.:lol: But the key (for me anyways) for blocking humidity is applying my serum (Aveda brilliant serum) to wet hair, and to dry while I am flat ironing. Then I wrap it up every night and secure it with my silk scarf.

Mizani, Is that all u use for shine the brillant serum...What else are u using?

goldensensation said:
Does your hair grow out instead of down?

Maybe you should try combing your roots (while wet and with conditioner or a shampoo) down to eliminate the poor from when it dries. I never use heat on my roots. Even when I flat iron. I'm too scared. lol

What exactly does that means? Hair growing out instead of down...I always wanted to know and now I got my chance:grin:

MizaniMami said:

HA HA..so you do flat iron..i knew it..i'm gonna have to get up on it then...but how do wrap if you were on the grow like weed challenge...your not suppose to comb..or do you mean u just wrap the night of your wash?

Last edited:
BSweet said:
i gonna have to get up on it then...but how do wrap if you were on the grow like weed challenge...your not suppose to comb..or do you mean u just wrap the night of your wash?

I should of said that I only wrap when my hair is down (which is every 2-3 mos). I never wrap my hair unless it is down. I wear my hair clipped up or in a pony on a regular basis (since I am on the GHLW challenge). I airdry to get it straight. I have a ghetto tutorial in my fotki if you wanna check it out.

When I am doing my protective styling I don't care for it to be straight, just flat.

BSweet said:
HA HA..so you do flat iron..i knew it..i'm gonna have to get up on it then...but how do wrap if you were on the grow like weed challenge...your not suppose to comb..or do you mean u just wrap the night of your wash?

Oh yeah, I am a flat iron master maaaan. I think my Sedu is another big part of the smoothness. I rollerset then flat iron to get the smoothness. I mainly do this after every relaxer.

tsmith said:
What exactly does that means? Hair growing out instead of down...I always wanted to know and now I got my chance:grin:

Ooh okay, now I see what you meant in the other thread. I guess out meaning like an afro (like my hair grows) and down meaning like some hair type 3's and less.

so you do flat iron after every wash?^^^ i'm afraid of using heat tho..so if i just do it after my wash will i be ok?

BSweet said:
so you do flat iron after every wash?^^^ i'm afraid of using heat tho..so if i just do it after my wash will i be ok?

Oh heck no. I only flat irong evey 2-3 mos (which ends up being every relaxer). After washes I just airdry using the scarf method.

When I used to flat iron every week my ends looked like on my progress pic, so that's exactly what I am staying away from.

BSweet said:
^^^so u think using the scarf method keeps your roots flat/straight along with the serum?

Yep, I apply my leave-in and oil, then I style into the ponytail then I rub a layer of serum, and apply the satin scarf. Lays that newgrowth down good and the outside stays flat/straight, but the inside isn't straight but it is flat.

Back