Why Do You Like Butters?

vtoodler

Why do many LHCFers like natural butters? What do they do for your hair that oils and creams don't? How are they even different from oils, creams, and other moisturizers?

How do you usually use butters, and what are your favorite ones?

What sorts of changes have you noticed in your hair since you began using them?

Great thread OP. I really wanna see what people say because butters never seem to work for my hair. In fact they seem to dry out my hair.

I like Shea-Butter because it's great at laying down my edges without creating build-up.
I also like my Shea-butter mix because it keeps my hair moisturized for long periods of time and 1lb of it lasts me ages.

raw shea makes my new growth soft, I put it on my hair every night after I put my twists in and the next day when I undo them, it gives the hair a bit of hold.

I like Shea butter for sealing my ends and using after a moisturizer to create a better defined twist-out. However, I could never use it more than once a week because it would cause build-up on my hair.

A lot of oils sink into the hair and scalp providing healing, soothing or fortifying. Butters coat, thereby protecting hair, and holding hair styles.

Why do many LHCFers like natural butters? What do they do for your hair that oils and creams don't? How are they even different from oils, creams, and other moisturizers?

How do you usually use butters, and what are your favorite ones?

What sorts of changes have you noticed in your hair since you began using them?

I really like raw shea butter because for me it's an inbetween oil and cream. It's like the best of both worlds. I usually use them as a moisturizer. After washing and putting a leave-in on, I can add shea butter and maybe a light oil if totally necessary like jojoba. But most times I don't really need to add an extra oil on top because it really does act as a moisturizer and oil combo. I think shea butter helps keeping the hair soft and pliable.

I love butters!!! I have a lot of them. I'm a relaxed stretcher and after week 9-10, my NG becomes super dry. I experimented and discovered that if I apply my leave in, apply EVCO (one of my staples), then seal that with a butter, I have wonderfully moisturized NG that lets me stretch to 14+ weeks :love:

Back