Why do we have to pay $6.50?

vaqtea

This is just a question that has been running through my head. Why do we have to pay to post here? I am a member of several other boards i.e tivoforums, atkinsforum, supraforums etc. This is the only board that charges me to post :confused: I read in other threads that it was to keep "trolls" away. I understand this reasoning but why do we have to continue to pay yearly?

Re: Why do we have to pay $5?

vaqtea said:
This is just a question that has been running through my head. Why do we have to pay to post here? I am a member of several other boards i.e tivoforums, atkinsforum, supraforums etc. This is the only board that charges me to post :confused: I read in other threads that it was to keep "trolls" away. I understand this reasoning but why do we have to continue to pay yearly?

Since when do
troll.gif
not have $5, I do not think that was the sole reason or if it played any part at all, because if so it didn't work :look: I really understand that there is a cost to running this board and the $5 does not bother me, I mean for a couple mere pennies a day I get all this entertainment
troll.gif
and all, priceless!!!!

Last edited:

Bandwidth, maintanence, and etc I don't mind because unlike some of the boards I frequent...This is not run by a big media corp. Plus IMO $5 isn't much to ask...JMO ;)

I think it started out as a means of keeping down on trolls. Because most trols won't be interested enough to pay to troll a site. The reason we have to continue paying is most likely to support the upkeep and maintenance under control.

So, I don't think it has to do with trolls, although it may have started that way.

Im not complaining about the $5 because its not going to put me in the poor house ;) I'm just wondering what does the fee go towards? Like I stated before I visit many forums of all kinds and not all are sponsored by "big companies". And I get to post free of charge! These boards have the exact same appearance of this board with many (thousands) of more members. So the bandwith explanation goes in one ear and out the other ..... :look: . I'm not trying to start any confusion or drama. I'm just wondering why the fee?

JamericanGurl said:
Bandwidth, maintanence, and etc I don't mind because unlike some of the boards I frequent...This is not run by a big media corp. Plus IMO $5 isn't much to ask...JMO ;)

It agree it only works out be $0.013698630136986301 per day.

$5 does not keep a troll away but, if they pay to start havoc and are banned, never given a refund, how many times do you think that person would want to pay to rejoin just to troll away again?

its a maintenance fee..some boards sell alot of stuff(products, vits etc) online as well so its easy for them to make enough to maintain their boards. this site has too many threads and posts that NEED to be maintained at a small fee of $5 for each posting member.

I suggest sending an e-mail to Bev. My understanding is that this board originally started as a hobby since another black hair care board either shut down or a fee associated with it. I don't think she expected to get the volume on the forum she got. The time, maintence, and other stuff does make it hard to continue the board without paying a fee. I could see if this was a business site for her but it isn't.

vaqtea said:
Im not complaining about the $5 because its not going to put me in the poor house ;) I'm just wondering what does the fee go towards? Like I stated before I visit many forums of all kinds and not all are sponsored by "big companies". And I get to post free of charge! These boards have the exact same appearance of this board with many (thousands) of more members. So the bandwith explanation goes in one ear and out the other ..... :look: . I'm not trying to start any confusion or drama. I'm just wondering why the fee?

I was wondering the same thing too now that the fee time is comming. Of course $5 is not going to send me to the poor house either but I do like to understand what I'm spending my money on, because I'm sure the advertisers are covering all the operation fees.

Here's one reason...

beverly said:
To make people aware, if the majority people dont rejoin, or new members dont come, the site will close, (refunds would be issued) nothing in life is free - its a fact.

Bev has to pay to have the site hosted. She has had to upgrade servers, software and and other things. If I recall correctly, she can tell you for sure, she was faced with the choice of shutting down/limiting the site or charging a fee. A lot of boards go out of business because the owner cannot handle the expense or devote time to it. Many members here were members of other boards that shut down. Some boards also limit the amounts of pictures you can display or the size, many delete posts after a certain time period and have other restrictions. This site is one of the better boards I have been on. It has very little down time and is not sluggish. A lot of other boards with as few as 10 active members will take FOREVER to load. At any given time we have 200-300+ actively viewing and posting. There are other hair boards I would visit more often but I'm not patient enough for the boards to load, and all the errors trying to view pages and posts. I have friends that run internet boards and the time and expense for the upkeep is no small thing. She is providing a service to us. I view it as a subscription. Other sites, such as dating sites etc folx pay 20-100.00 per year for the service.

The women here are amazing, despite the lil arguments and disagreements here and there. Its like a big family, many people meet offline and have become friends and we encourage each other online. There are other hair boards, other choices, but LHCF is IMO the best I've come across. It is VERY active, you dont have to wait 3-days to a week for a reply to a question, the topics and members are entertaining, and its is one of the most drama free boards I have ever been on. I learn something new every day from the women on this board. LHCF IS THE GREATEST!! :)

vaqtea said:

Some people have it like that. Their board is something that they are passionate about and they chose to come out of pocket for it. Others, have enough corporate sponsers/advertisers to cover the entire cost.

teenie said:
I was wondering the same thing too now that the fee time is comming. Of course $5 is not going to send me to the poor house either but I do like to understand what I'm spending my money on, because I'm sure the advertisers are covering all the operation fees.

How do you know that? Though advertisers do pay, there is no way to know they are covering the costs of this board without access to AP/AR records of this board.

I frequent other hair boards but this one is by FAR the BEST! The other board has too many problems with slow loading pages and constant down times. I think the 5$ charge is EXTREMELY fair because I would not have the time or energy to maintain this message board.

Enchantmt said:
I view it as a subscription. Other sites, such as dating sites etc folx pay 20-100.00 per year for the service.

this is a good way to look at...if u r on dating sites subscribing how is it hurtin u..and they r gonna charge u $100 or more to communicate on there a year

How do you know that? Though advertisers do pay, there is no way to know they are covering the costs of this board without access to AP/AR records of this board.[/QUOTE]

Right. But I had a friend who ran a web site and he explained to me that they track the amount of hits a site gets and the ones that get a lot like this one does can charge a lot of money for adds because they have the evidence that they have high traffic

teenie said:
Right. But I had a friend who ran a web site and he explained to me that they track the amount of hits a site gets and the ones that get a lot like this one does can charge a lot of money for adds because they have the evidence that they have high traffic

It is doubtful that one advertiser would cover the cost of an entire board. So again, we have no idea how many advertisers it would take to cover the cost. 3? 10? 20? We can't know unless we know the expenses and the revenues from each advertiser. This is something we will never know since this board is privately owned.

Enchantmt said:
Bev has to pay to have the site hosted. She has had to upgrade servers, software and and other things. If I recall correctly, she can tell you for sure, she was faced with the choice of shutting down/limiting the site or charging a fee. A lot of boards go out of business because the owner cannot handle the expense or devote time to it. Many members here were members of other boards that shut down. Some boards also limit the amounts of pictures you can display or the size, many delete posts after a certain time period and have other restrictions. This site is one of the better boards I have been on. It has very little down time and is not sluggish. A lot of other boards with as few as 10 active members will take FOREVER to load. At any given time we have 200-300+ actively viewing and posting. There are other hair boards I would visit more often but I'm not patient enough for the boards to load, and all the errors trying to view pages and posts. I have friends that run internet boards and the time and expense for the upkeep is no small thing. She is providing a service to us. I view it as a subscription. Other sites, such as dating sites etc folx pay 20-100.00 per year for the service.

The women here are amazing, despite the lil arguments and disagreements here and there. Its like a big family, many people meet offline and have become friends and we encourage each other online. There are other hair boards, other choices, but LHCF is IMO the best I've come across. It is VERY active, you dont have to wait 3-days to a week for a reply to a question, the topics and members are entertaining, and its is one of the most drama free boards I have ever been on. I learn something new every day from the women on this board. LHCF IS THE GREATEST!! :)

I totally agree! Just think about all the other money you spend on other things that don't even give you a year's worth of enjoyment.

The $5 fee keeps some people away who randomly find the forum and want to post garbage and disappear. Who wants to sift through all of that stuff?
I like that not everyone who views this site can see all of the forums making them a little more private. I like to see the same posters on here instead of random people popping in and out. I like the sense of familiarity. I also like that people respond rather quickly to posts. I've been on other forums discussing a serious matter and I had to wait days for a response.

Even if the advertisers are paying for the upkeep someone has to oversee the site to acquire more advertisers and to make that they actually pay. Someone has to make sure that members have paid and that the new ones are set up correctly. Someone has to be there to answer techical questions and suggestions. Someone also has to make sure all the other techinical stuff is taken care of so the site just doesn't explode. :)

Try running a board that runs as smoothly as this year after year. I know I couldn't- wouldn't want to do it. :)

riddler.jpg

Riddle me this?

How can a site that has well over a thousand particpates each day and 3 thousand plus vistors a day survive without a nominal fee. The site is not run by ezboard or other free hosts. This site offers journals and other features as well. Since this is no longer a hobby. It has become a business and there are fees that are incurred...Why not charge? Even if the site was for profit...I wouldn't care, because $5 bucks is a small fees for us to crack on celebs and each other.

The sponsors are charged a fee, but the fees can no way cover the complete cost of the site operation. While I think the site owners are nice people...I never viewed them as a charity organazation.

So, while it may seem like I'm getting snippy....I'm not understanding the qualms? Now if someone is hard pressed for cash...Anybody that I like that is :grin: I have $20 to pay 4 peoples 5 bucks.... PM me and Limit your request to 50 words or less and tell me how broke you are...School etc. Cuz I don't wanna anybody not return because of $5 bucks. I'd much rather have you take care of tuition and etc, than incur any extra costs.

*Please note*
The JG Grant will be issued in the order received and once my $20 is gone it's a wrap! ;)

natalied said:
It is doubtful that one advertiser would cover the cost of an entire board. So again, we have no idea how many advertisers it would take to cover the cost. 3? 10? 20? We can't know unless we know the expenses and the revenues from each advertiser. This is something we will never know since this board is privately owned.

Well this site has at least 2 advertisers....yes! Some things we will never know

JamericanGurl said:
riddler.jpg

Riddle me this?

How can a site that has well over a thousand particpates each day and 3 thousand plus vistors a day survive without a nominal fee. The site is not run by ezboard or other free hosts. This site offers journals and other features as well. Since this is no longer a hobby. It has become a business and there are fees that are incurred...Why not charge? Even if the site was for profit...I wouldn't care, because $5 bucks is a small fees for us to crack on celebs and each other.

The sponsors are charged a fee, but the fees can no way cover the complete cost of the site operation. While I think the site owners are nice people...I never viewed them as a charity organazation.

So, while it may seem like I'm getting snippy....I'm not understanding the qualms? Now if someone is hard pressed for cash...Anybody that I like that is :grin: I have $20 to pay 4 peoples 5 bucks.... PM me and Limit your request to 50 words or less and tell me how broke you are...School etc. Cuz I don't wanna anybody not return because of $5 bucks. I'd much rather have you take care of tuition and etc, than incur any extra costs.

*Please note*
The JG Grant will be issued in the order received and once my $20 is gone it's a wrap! ;)

Ummm I am in school,.....I am on government cheese for breakfast lunch and dinner. I have to break into internet cafes just to log onto this site in order to post...um....I don't even have a house just a cardboard box...I have to got to local farms to steal my MTG supplies....and borrow someone's bathroom every 4 months for a relaxer touch up cause even if we sistahs are homeless we still gotta have our **beep** together :sekret: Do I qualify JG????

That's too funny! Since it looks like everyone has fallen on hard times, you should receive myriad responses.

LondonDiva said:
Ummm I am in school,.....I am on government cheese for breakfast lunch and dinner. I have to break into internet cafes just to log onto this site in order to post...um....I don't even have a house just a cardboard box...I have to got to local farms to steal my MTG supplies....and borrow someone's bathroom every 4 months for a relaxer touch up cause even if we sistahs are homeless we still gotta have our **beep** together :sekret: Do I qualify JG????

Ain't dat da truf, LD! Gotta impress da homeless black men out der!
toothless.gif
:love:

LondonDiva said:

But you'll always have the National Health Program :lachen:

While I'm joking maybe some folx just don't have i right now? I dunno?
If you really do need the $5 PM me and it will be confidential...Except for however we work it out to have your account credited. Other than that I won't devulged your UID.

Last edited:

I don't see the big deal. Five bucks is five bucks. Cmon we all spend more than that on hair products.

chestnutblonde said:
I just joined in June 2005 and paid $5. Would I have to pay again this year????? :look:

No. June 2006 would be your annual renewal date, thats if you wanna renew it.

I guess my question is not clear enough. Let me break it down :lol: ITs NOT ABOUT THE $5 DOLLARS! I love coming to this board. I would pay $5 and maybe a little more if I had to. I was wondering what is the purpose of the $5?
To keep away the trolls? To breed famiiarity? The reason I ask this question is because I visit many other forums NOT OTHER HAIR FORUMS. I kNOW THIS 1 IS THE BEST!
but other forums and I have never been charged to post or anything. This is something all new to me which brings the question to mind whats so different about this one?

I don't mind paying the five dollars. It's worth it because in the month or so that I've been a subscriber, I've learned a lot. And I understand that a site like this is hard work. But I do have to say, this is the first forum I've ever seen ask for money. I am on other VERY ACTIVE forums with thousands of members and I have never paid anything. I am not talking about hair forums, either. But I suppose they have other ways of paying for the site.

I don't think the question is about having a problem paying the money. I think she just wants to know what the money is used for. I still think that it is a part of keeping up maintenance. I mean (and correct me if I am wrong) Beverly is probably paying AT LEAST one salary in order to maintain the professional quality of the site.

Actually there is another board somewhat similar to this one that is asking for 10 bucks instead of 5 and I have not seen any thread there where people were asking why they had to pay. Nothing in this life in free. I personally don't care what the five bucks goes to. I come here and enjoy the threads and leave as I want to go to other sites where I don't have to pay.

Back