Why do some products make hair feel hard and crunchy?

vtoodler

A lot of daily moisturizers that I've used and leave-in conditioners have made my hair feel crunchy and hard.

Many other LHCF ladies have experienced this.

Why does it happen, particularly with daily moisturizers?

can you list a few ones you've used within this effect ?
maybe you can notice what ingredients all this leave ins have in commun ? for knowing what to avoid in future:look: ?

usually we meet this effect with protein. you should always following a protein product with a moisturizing product whatever is a protein mask, protein rinse-out condish or protein leave-in condish.

I, personnaly, also experimented this when a leave in doesn't leave an enough nourishing film for avoiding hair dehydration : i will have dry hair after that.
that's why I luv thick leave ins. the most popular one is qhemet amla and Olive heavy cream.

but before I say anithing , share more with us ^^

This happens wiff me when I either use toooooooooooooooooooooooooo much product everyday in my hair. Extreme product build up.

Or when I use like a leave in or something and it has protein in it. Instant dry hair by this. :(

Infusium always left my hair feeling rock hard. Even herbal essences LTR and silk elements moisturizing leave ins leave a bit of a crunch to my hair. Still looking for one that doesn't!

Sent from my LT15a using LT15a

It can be due to #nt reasons:

1. Damaged hair
2. Product your hair doesn't like
3. Protein/moisture imbalance
4. Buildup

I think its the cones. One or two in a product is fine for me, but a series of cones in a product is a no no. I usually have to add oil to cone-heavy products to remove the crunch, but I pretty much avoid them now.

vtoodler, have this same issue. I hope I can figure out the problem and finally find a leave in that is consistent. I know this is an older thread, but bumping for more responses.

All cheapie conditioners and almost all commercial conditioners leave my hair hard and dry. I think it's the cheap, artificial ingredients. Some of us have hair that rejects artificial softeners. It leaves a hard, crunchy afterfeel, and even glues my hair strands together. It wasn't until I switched to an organic, natural line (Aubrey Organics) and used pure oils to condition (castor/jojoba/virgin coconut) that my hair began to accept moisture.

Im not sure why, but I can relate. Ive never found an oil moisturizer lotion that moisturizes my hair and doesnt leave it hard by the time it evaporates lol...even the ones most people like, for example ORS Olive Oil lotion, BB Oil Moisturizer, etc. My hair also hates curl activator products(S Curl, Hawaiian Silky, etc).

I have found, however that if I mist my hair lightly with water first, moisturize, and seal...my hair does much better. But even plain water sealed with oil would do a better job than an oil moisturizer. What Ive found that works for me is She Moisture Curl and Style Milk, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. And since I started using AG Fast Food leave in, my hair seems to perform even better as far as retaining moisture. I have been wanting to try QHemet Alma and Olive Cream too for the winter bc hardly anybody doesnt like it.

All cheapie conditioners and almost all commercial conditioners leave my hair hard and dry. I think it's the cheap, artificial ingredients. Some of us have hair that rejects artificial softeners. It leaves a hard, crunchy afterfeel, and even glues my hair strands together. It wasn't until I switched to an organic, natural line (Aubrey Organics) and used pure oils to condition (castor/jojoba/virgin coconut) that my hair began to accept moisture.

virtuenow...I think you may be onto something, higher quality products and pure oils have been working very well for me.

@virtuenow...I think you may be onto something, higher quality products and pure oils have been working very well for me.

Yes, most conditioners have artificial ingredients designed to mimic natural oils/natural conditioning agents. My hair just craves the real thing. It seems to reject everything else. Its like, why not just use a real deal. I will attach some of the info from my research! Its pretty interesting.

Here are some of the board's most popular daily moisturizers. Ignore the numbers alongside them.

1. UBH moisturizer 15 14
2. Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream 39
3. Silk Elements Silken Child Moisturizer 12 5
4. Keracare crème hair dress 15 12
5. ORS Carrot Oil 15 8
6. Beemine Moisturizer 14 20
7. HydraTherma Natural Moisturizer 12 15
8. Cantu shea butter 10 7
9. Hairveda Whipped Ends 13 12
10. Oyin Moisturizer 7
11. Carol Daughters Hair Milk 5
12. Darcy’s Botanical Transitioning Cream 6
13. Mizani Rose H2O ten
14. Karen’s body beautiful moisturizer
15. ORS Olive Oil Lotion 14 8

That QB AOHC makes me wanna dance, I looove that stuff:)
But now I want to try some Hairitage Hydration moisturizers and some Darcys.......pj

I revisited my Qhemet AOHC and I have to say that my hair feels very soft at the moment. I am wearing a fro right now. I kept my wash routine simple today, so I'm wondering if that had a lot to do with the softness I am feeling now. (I only used 4 products--a pre-poo with TJ Nourish spa/oil, poo'd with KC Poo, DC with SD Vanilla Silk, and used QAOHC.)

My only problem is refreshing my hair until next wash day. I guess I should just mist my hair with water and apply more Qhemet if I need to re-moisturize.

And Qhemet leaves me with soft, poofy hair rather than curls. I like to see my curls sometimes, so I was looking for something that would give me moisture and define my curls.

ETA: *sigh* Nope, hours later, it is a brittle, oily mess. :nono: SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE!

Last edited:
People are increasingly becoming aware about the limitations of artificial hair oils and conditioners. Though they produce some results in the short term, eventually the ingredients cause damage to the hair resulting in premature graying, hair fall, split ends and scalp problems. Natural oils are the best for keeping hair and scalp healthy. http://bestarganoil.com/moroccan-argan-oil-the-perfect-tonic-for-beautiful-and-healthy-hair/

Synthetic conditioners can wreak havoc on your hair, sometimes doing more harm than good, but conditioning with natural essential oils can help restore moisture balance to your scalp, reduce dandruff and transform your locks from drab to fab. http://www.typef.com/article/essential-oil-conditioning-hair/

The history of hair conditioner

As early as 2000 B.C., Egyptians used animal fats and plant oils to condition their hair—and combed it out with dried fishbone combs. In the 1300s, hair conditioner for some Europeans was made by boiling lizards in olive oil.

Victorian citizens used Macassar oil, often made of coconut or palm oil, which was so greasy, householders regularly covered the seat backs of chairs with a special cloth to keep the oil from ruining the furniture.

At the 1900 Exposition Universelle in Paris, French perfumer Ed Pinaud introduced a new oily product called brilliantine to soften men's hair, including beards and mustaches.

In the 1950s, scientists discovered some of the ingredients used in fabric softener also could help control flyaway hair.

In every era, the goal was the same: to make hair soft, shiny and manageable.

How conditioner works

Contrary to popular belief, hair is not dead. It's a living part of our bodies, and it reacts to conditions around it just as other parts of our bodies do. This includes both internal and external conditions: your body and your environment.

When hair experiences internal or external stresses, it can become unhealthy. In other words, its chemical and physical structure is compromised. It becomes increasingly vulnerable and it shows. Unhealthy hair looks listless, dull, limp and often frizzy and tangled because the scales on unhealthy hair shafts rise up, instead of lying flat against the shaft as they should.

Conditioners offer chemical and physical remedies for unhealthy hair. In particular, many are designed to smooth down the scales and return the hair shaft to its shiny splendor. https://www.detailsformen.com/Articles_Detail.aspx?PCID=35

I've tried:

Shescentit coco creme
Sheamoisture hair milks
Tresseme Naturals
Shescentit Tahitian Vanilla
Qhemet AOHC
Castor oil

All do not react well as leave ins. My hair is usually pretty soft after dcing. Leave ins... *shrug*

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

Ulta has free samples of the Carol's Daughter hair milk (no purchase necessary). I got a couple of samples and i really, really, really want to love it. It has such an amazing smell. but that **** makes my hair crunch like pork rinds. It is unbelievable. I will NOT be using it anymore. I'm very sad.

I have that same problem with Giovanni direct leave in and cantu shea butter leave in. Maybe until I get my other stuff I will try what pp said and follow with moisture.

I just bought the Giovanni Direct Leave-in as well. And my hair was dry. I think the issue with this product is, its just to thin or light-weight for my hair. I am going to try mixing it with something a little heavier to try to salvage it. I think it would be great if I were relaxed but not for my natural hair.

I used the Burt Bees Shiny Hair Conditioner as a leave-in and that worked well. My hair dried nice and soft.

Notice what type of consistency your hair likes with products.

I swore by Giovanni Direct for a while. As well as the SM conditioner. I even used the carrot oil one at some point. There was also Paul Mitchel's and Nexxus's leave-in.

They left my hair perfectly moisturized "feeling" right after. 2 or 3 days later my hair is like a rock. I misted my hair with tea or water last month and never had issues. Then decided to do wash and gos and tried the SM leave in again (and thats mostly all natural!) Horrible! Dry and hard. Giovanni did the same. Again.

I will keep spraying my hair with water or tea. It always stays soft this way.

vtoodler said:
A lot of daily moisturizers that I've used and leave-in conditioners have made my hair feel crunchy and hard.

Many other LHCF ladies have experienced this.

Why does it happen, particularly with daily moisturizers?

Too much Protein will do that to your hair everytime

Back