Why do some avoid conditioner touching their scalps?

BrownSkin2

I've read through several regimines where some people only put the conditioner on the hair and avoid it touching the scalps while doing deep conditioners. I'm wondering why is that? Is it healthier that way?

I usually put my conditioner on from root to tip with it touching my scalp. Is it not good to do that? I just wonder if anyone knows why.

Whenever conditioner gets on my scalp, I have to wash sooner because my scalp starts to itch. I can't have conditioner, grease, or oil on my scalp for that reason. Only shampoo!

i only put conditioner on my scalp only after i shampoo. but when i am doing conditioner washes i don't let it touch my scalp so that i don't get buildup. i think buildup on the scalp leads to clogged pores which disrupts the hair growth. also it causes my scalp to itch after a few days in twists

this is definitely true. shampoo and especially conditioner residue causes my scalp to itch. very annoying when you're wearing a sew-in.

That is good to know, I never paid attetion to that, I just put the conditioner on my hair comb it threw but never notice if it is on my scalp. I do wash out very good.

Wishin4BSL said:
Whenever conditioner gets on my scalp, I have to wash sooner because my scalp starts to itch. I can't have conditioner, grease, or oil on my scalp for that reason. Only shampoo!
Same here.:ohwell:

Im not sure, when I use conditioner I slather it on, I dont put it on my scalp intentionally but I KNOW it gets on my scalp, I think the oil I add to my conditioner is pretty good for the scalp also, and Ive never had a problem with it.

Wishin4BSL said:

I wonder if this is why my scalp is itching LIKE CRAZY tonight! I just shampoo'd my hair today and I really slathered on the conditioner big time so I'm sure just about every inch of my scalp got some conditioner on it. I rinsed thoroughly in the shower but then I put a decent amount of Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner on my hair. Hmmmm...this is interesting information. I'm going to be more careful with my conditioner at next wash and see if I notice a difference. Thanks once again ladies!

i wonder if you're allergic to an ingredient in your conditioner. i've had shampoo that's made my scalp itch due to overwashing/dryness but never conditioner.

i also wonder if some are afraid of having the chemicals in shampoos & conditioners seep into their skin ???

I actually like putting conditioner on my scalp. I slather it on and rub it in cuz it feels goood, lol. I think it moisturizes my scalp. I haven't noticed anything negative from it.

There are certain conditioners that I won't put on my scalp. I get a lot of build-up and since it's so hard to get under this matted mess, It's hard to get to my scalp anyways.

Of course, I let scalp treatments get on my scalp: Essential oil treatments (peppermint, rosemary, garlic, cinnamon, tea tree, etc). Conditioners with these ingredients or extracts are ok for me to put on my scalp.

BrownSkin2 said:
I've read through several regimines where some people only put the conditioner on the hair and avoid it touching the scalps while doing deep conditioners. I'm wondering why is that? Is it healthier that way?

I usually put my conditioner on from root to tip with it touching my scalp. Is it not good to do that? I just wonder if anyone knows why.

I wouldn't call it a bad thing because I just put the conditioner on my hair and call it a day. I know some gets on my scalp. Putting conditioner on the scalp causes build-up which results to an itchy scalp. On some labels it says avoid putting on scalp and that is the only time that I make sure that the conditioner is not on my scalp and that is usually protein treatments as far as I know/read.:)

Last edited:
I don't let it touch my scalp anymore, I read somewhere that shampoo is to clean the scalp and conditioner is to condition the hair, not the scalp.

Pokahontas said:
I actually like putting conditioner on my scalp. I slather it on and rub it in cuz it feels goood, lol. I think it moisturizes my scalp. I haven't noticed anything negative from it.

Cosigning!

BTW, your hair is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

My scalp is oily and build-up prone, so in general I don't put anything on it... particularly heavy conditioners. I just started co-washing regularly though, and if I massage my scalp a bit while there is light conditioner on my hair it doesn't seem to cause problems. I still don't intentionally put it on my scalp though.

ShaniKeys said:
I don't let it touch my scalp anymore, I read somewhere that shampoo is to clean the scalp and conditioner is to condition the hair, not the scalp.

Actually you are right. You are suppose to only shampoo your hair to your ear and condition your hair from your ear on down to the ends. I read that in Carolyn Gray's book. The reason why you do not suppose to put shampoo on your ends is because the shampoo will dry your ends out. I never shampoo my whole head, only the base of my head unless I perm my hair but I do put the conditioner all over my whole head all the time.

Humm...Normally I do conditioner washes and rub my scalp like I'm using shampoos. The conditioners I use are light and dont cause build up. Normally the only time it would be a problem is if I've used some type of heavy styling product the conditioner cant disolve, and since I can feel that right away, I just grab some shampoo. Most of the stuff I use rinses out well tho. I have had issues where if I leave conditioner in over night my hair would start itching, but its no where near as bad as when I was relaxed and using products with more chemicals in them.

I clarify once a month and don't seem to have any scalp buildup issues with conditioner. (the hollywood hair creme was another story though... I'm never using that stuff again:mad: )

I do concentrate the conditioner on the hair rather than the scalp, but I don't fret if it happens to get on there.

-A

I'm confused :confused: :confused: :confused: Do you only avoid it during co washes? How can you avoid getting conditioner on your scalp especailly when you deep condition??

This is an interesting thread. I will pay attention to my ends the next time I am shampooing. I personally co-wash every 3-4 days so I use the conditioner as I would a shampoo so yes it’s on my scalp. Since my hair has grown and retained some length the past few months I am not changing my regimen but I may try a little more to rinse out my scalp with cold water after the co-washing. I have not found that my scalp itches tho, and i dont feel like my scalp is clogged in anyway, although i do ACV wash my hair 1nce a week which really cleans my scalp.

I only find that I get build up or itches after i twist my hair. i have no problem putting conditioner on my scalp if it is a wash n' go or a puff.

Babygurl said:
Im not sure, when I use conditioner I slather it on, I dont put it on my scalp intentionally but I KNOW it gets on my scalp, I think the oil I add to my conditioner is pretty good for the scalp also, and Ive never had a problem with it.

Same here.........

I don't avoid it per se, but conditioner is not made for the scalp, it's made for the hair. Shampoo is made for the scalp, that's why I prefer to rub the shampoo into my scalp and just let it rinse through the lengths of my hair instead of rubbing it there. It just causes unnecessary drying IMO.

On some of the other boards that I used to frequent, the "lighter skinned sisters" there would put conditioner only on the ends because the conditioner would weigh down silkier, finer textured hair, or even make it look greasy (esp if their hair tends to be greasy anyway).

They would put the conditioner only on the ends which are older and more prone to have damage.

Softresses

Back