Why do natural hair conditioners seem to disappear....

Covergirl5906

in the hair to the point that it doesn't even seem as if you put anything in your hair? I've noticed this with some of the conditioners I purchased on black Friday/cyber Monday. So far I've noticed it with darcy's Pumpkin, curl junkie, and shescenit avocado. I'm trying these products for the first time as Im trying to transition to using only natural products. I put shescenit avocado in my hair Friday, went under the steamer and went to bed. When I woke up it was if nothing was on my hair? hmmm I know it's gotta be something with a difference in ingredients used in BSS conditioners VS Natural product. Any body else experience this?

I'm like you OP. I like to feel a little bit of coating. So far, the Bee Mine Luscious had my hair feeling great for almost a week. I keep my hair in twists and buns btw.

For Me, this is the "Appeal" of using Natural/Handmades.

No visible residue of Cones or Propelyne Glycol, Petroleum, Sulfates etc...and the absence of such ingredients is the reason most people use them in the first place.

The ability to totally absorb and penetrate into the hair and the use of quality herbs and natural butters/oils etc...was actually the point.:lol:

They have nutrients the hair can use and absorb. heyfranhey talks about it a lot on her blog and YT channel. Check her out for more info on why all natural products are beneficial.

I feel the same way I end up getting 3 uses out of my 8oz curl Junkie rehab and 5 uses out of my 8oz Aussie Moist!

manter26 said:
They have nutrients the hair can use and absorb. heyfranhey talks about it a lot on her blog and YT channel. Check her out for more info on why all natural products are beneficial.

Thanks. Makes sense

IDareT'sHair said:

No visible residue of Cones or Propelyne Glycol, Petroleum, Sulfates etc...and the absence of such ingredients is the reason most people use them in the first place.

The ability to totally absorb and penetrate into the hair and the use of quality herbs and natural butters/oils etc...was actually the point.:lol:

Umm Im more than aware that natural products are better for the hair. I know what the point of using natural products over BSS products. Thats not what i was asking.

IDareT'sHair said:

Umm Im more than aware that natural products are better for the hair. I know what the point is of using natural products over BSS products. Thats not what i was asking.

The first time I used Darcy's Pumpkin conditioner, it vanished into my hair. It seemed like I had added nothing to it. My hair was what people call needy! My hair profits from
these products. I have a few BSS products...some I have had a while, there is not a whole lot I can go in there and get at this point. I get more accessories; plastic caps, oil, mannequin, aphogee for sure, eyebrow shavers. I get more of my product recommendations and purchases online. My hair is benefiting from natural prodcts and I have less exposure to toxic agents.

exactly :lick:
In fact Im upset if when Im done DCing I still see product on my hair :lol:

and unlike lamaria211, I get more uses from my natural products than regular ones as it takes less product for me to get the same or better result

It's a good thing. I like that my products don't sit on my hair or leave behind a film. I shouldn't be able to feel my conditioner on my hair after rinsing it out. That's what I like about natural products. If I want to lock my product in, I use oil or a heavier product on top. But I like knowing that when I smooth Darcy's or Bee Mine throughout my hair, I'm actually nourishing my strands instead of just wrapping them in chemical byproducts

in the hair to the point that it doesn't even seem as if you put anything in your hair? I've noticed this with some of the conditioners I purchased on black Friday/cyber Monday. So far I've noticed it with darcy's Pumpkin, curl junkie, and shescenit avocado. I'm trying these products for the first time as Im trying to transition to using only natural products. I put shescenit avocado in my hair Friday, went under the steamer and went to bed. When I woke up it was if nothing was on my hair? hmmm I know it's gotta be something with a difference in ingredients used in BSS conditioners VS Natural product. Any body else experience this?

Yep that has totally happened to me. While I do agree natural conditioners do absorb better in your hair.

If I understand you correctly you are saying if feels like nothing happened, is that correct? Personally this means that my porosity is off, normally I have very high porosity which is to say my hair has a hard time holding moisture. The key for me here is henna. When it feels like I have done nothing to my hair this means I need a henna treatment and then bam conditioner works again LOL

The other thing is leaving conditioner on my hair for to long does not seem to have a better or worse effect...when I say long I mean anything more than 20 minutes it is all the same. I use all of the conditioners you mentioned and they are my staples but for me this is step one, step two is my leave in conditioner then I use a little of Qhemet olive oil and honey then seal with a butter or pomade this is what keeps the moisture balance for me it is not the conditioner alone. And without the henna my hair is a hot mess.

Do people actually think products/ingredients absorb into the hair shaft? I have my doubts. I think they adsorb, but I am not convinced most of these ingredients can penetrate the hair shaft

Do people actually think products/ingredients absorb into the hair shaft? I have my doubts. I think they adsorb, but I am not convinced most of these ingredients can penetrate the hair shaft

I think that may have something to do with the ingredients of the product, whether the product will absorb or adsorb to the hair shaft. Water-based products are best for absorption (there is a greater probability they'll be absorbed than not), whereas oil-based products are good for adsorption (as they tend to seal/smooth down the hair shaft), I've read.

Personally, I'm not 100%, but based on science, that seems to be correct :yep:.

What a good question...I have no idea honestly I never really thought about it. If I had to guess I would say yes it does absorb especially when you combine conditioners that have oils like coconut, olive, joboba, or avocado and panthenol (sp?) with direct heat (i.e. dryer or steamer). I say that because I have tried a lot of conditioners with stuff like shea butter and other things which of course I cannot recall but when I rinse it you can see most of it going down the drain. For people like me with highly porous hair I do think a true deep conditioner with certain ingredients are much more likely to penetrate to the center of the hair shaft but for people who have lower porosity probably not as much.
Still a really good question...I think I am also wondering how important is it for a conditioner to penetrate the shaft and how far? I mean if you think about oil and skin care you want it to absorb in the top layer not so much all the way through because water balance will keep the internal layers hydrated but the oil barrier helps keep the balance inside...I wonder if it is the same with hair???

Last edited:
@OceanEyes I agree. I think you are absolutely correct.

There was an Old Thread (Archived) from LHCF 'back in the day' and someone had posted a whole dissertation on the Molecular Structure & Weight of most DC'ing products (and others) and their ability to both absorb and adsorb.

Ogoma

I think that may have something to do with the ingredients of the product, whether the product will absorb or adsorb to the hair shaft. Water-based products are best for absorption (there is a greater probability they'll be absorbed than not), whereas oil-based products are good for adsorption (as they tend to seal/smooth down the hair shaft), I've read.

Personally, I'm not 100%, but based on science, that seems to be correct :yep:.

Makes sense. I only really think water absorbs for the most part. If I remember correctly, the oils that absorb do so after 12 hours or so. Thanks for the great summary.

[......]
Still a really good question...I think I am also wondering how important is it for a conditioner to penetrate the shaft and how far? I mean if you think about oil and skin care you want it to absorb in the top layer not so much all the way through because water balance will keep the internal layers hydrated but the oil barrier helps keep the balance inside...I wonder if it is the same with hair???

I found this on the naturalhaven site:
Deep Conditioning : What Ingredients in Hair Conditioner Penetrate Hair?

Continuing on with the deep conditioning update, here is the comprehensive list of every conditioning ingredient that I could find that penetrates hair.

I have grouped the hair into two groups. Natural hair with no processing and hair that is processed or damaged.

Often penetration tests are done at 35°C which corresponds to surface body temperature or what you would get if you applied a conditioner and covered your head with a shower cap.

The Short Story

Natural Hair - No Processing
-water
-hydrolysed wheat protein
-coconut oil
-cetrimonium bromide
-caffeine
-panthenol

Bleached Hair, Relaxed Hair or Damaged Hair (i.e cuticle damage)
- everything in the unprocessed natural hair list above
-some amino acids enhanced by being in a creamy conditioner (arginine, glycine, glutamic acid, phenylalanine, histidine)
-artificial peptides (similar to hydrolysed protein)
-some silicones or amodimethicones (Trimethylsilylamodimethicone)
-hydrolysed palm oil
-18MEA
@OceanEyes I agree. I think you are absolutely correct.

There was an Old Thread (Archived) from LHCF 'back in the day' and someone had posted a whole dissertation on the Molecular Structure & Weight of most DC'ing products (and others) and their ability to both absorb and adsorb.

@Ogoma

I should look for it.

Last edited:
i love natural products as they seem to have more bang for the buck and a little goes a long way. i also love that i get less exposure to toxins and do less damage to the environment.i also don't have nasty build-up that is hard to wash out or require clariying/chelating. most natural products aren't that expensive if you price them per ounce. i can be heavy-handed as well and for no particular reason,lol.

For me its the way these natural/handmades smell. Its like an orgasm for my nose LMAO

As far as conditioners.. I have alot of hair so I try to buy gallon sizes if I can.

No OP I don't experience that feeling. BeeMine's Avocado, Darcy's Pumpkin Seed, CJ Rehab and Deep Fix all make my hair feel wonderful and I have very dry hair but after using these conditioners my hair feels revived. I would also say that not all natural hair products will work for you since I have tried several others that I would never repurchase.

Back