Why didn't it take??

MrsSmitty77

Hi All,
Well I was so excited today. Today was my first relaxer since joining and I was 10 weeks post and I thought I was going to be popping a new roller set today following my relaxer. Well, the relaxer didn't take:nono:. I don't know why:perplexed? I washed my hair Sunday and since then I had been bunning with Worlds of Curls Activator and JBCO. I relaxed using Silk Elements Lye Regular. Could the actviator or the JBCO could have kept the relaxer from taking. All it did was soften my new growth. My hair is very wavy at the roots. I was able to roller set it, but it's not the roller set I thought I would get. So now I have a few questions,
1. Should I do a corrective and how long should I wait? I was really just considering waiting another 10 or 11 weeks until Thanksgiving if my hair will make it.
2. What did I do wrong!:wallbash:
3. What should I do the week and days leading up to the relaxer?

I really don't want to give up on the Silk Elements since I have heard such good things about it. I have included a photo of my finished product. This was my first roller set.

Attachments

• DSCF3253.jpg
    DSCF3253.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 72
  • roller set.JPG
    roller set.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 53
Maybe you didnt apply enough relaxer or the sections weren't small enough. When I am underprocessed it's either one of those reasons.

I would wait about 6 weeks to do a corrective.

Your first rollerset came out good.

A lot of people usually do a protein treatment folled by a moisturizing DC a week before the relaxer. HTH.

1. Should I do a corrective and how long should I wait? I was really just considering waiting another 10 or 11 weeks until Thanksgiving if my hair will make it. IMO You should wait if you can it's the safest route than running the risk of overlaping or overprocessing.

2. What did I do wrong! Not sure it could have been the activator it's cones that coat the hair. Maybe you didn't leave it in long enough or smooth enough. How long did you leave it in? Did you follow the instructions? and how was smoothing?

3. What should I do the week and days leading up to the relaxer? I would say use less product the week you plan to relax. If it isn't working why would you try it again? remember everything is not for everybody. What type of relaxer used to work for you will you consider going back. I had these types of problems did you go from no-lye to lye by any chance?

I have always used regular relaxers and notice that I was always under processed, this week I decided to use the super strenght, I worked perfectly.

This might be the same for you; you might need a stronger formula?!

I have always used regular relaxers and notice that I was always under processed, this week I decided to use the super strenght, I worked perfectly.

This might be the same for you; you might need a stronger formula?!

I am to scared of super but my hair is course I just gave up on rollersets. I may leave the regular on longer next time.

2. What did I do wrong! Not sure it could have been the activator it's cones that coat the hair. Maybe you didn't leave it in long enough or smooth enough. How long did you leave it in? I worked it for a good 20 minutes and that was per instructions. I knew however at about 10 - 15 minutes in that it was not taking.Did you follow the instructions? and how was smoothing?Yep, I followed the direction to the T. I could feel the relaxer breaking down and softening the new growth but it just wouldn't uncurl it.

3. What should I do the week and days leading up to the relaxer? I would say use less product the week you plan to relax. If it isn't working why would you try it again? remember everything is not for everybody. What type of relaxer used to work for you will you consider going back. I had these types of problems did you go from no-lye to lye by any chance? Years ago when I was taking much better care of myself I used Affirm and it worked out well. Well one life situation lead to another and I started using dark and lovely boxed, it did okay but I have been suffering the drying from the perm for the last few years. So since I am now spending more time tending to mommy again I was to switch to a lye relaxer (that I can afford) the help with the dryness. I will say this much. The hair is underproccessed but it is soft and its not dry.

I have to wash my hair at least 2 days before relaxing. The relaxer doesn't take as well if I have stuff (oils etc) in my hair.

I also use to use Silk Elements Lye Regular but found that I had to leave it on longer than I was suppose to get it straight. Plus it reverted too soon. I had to switch relaxers.

I am to scared of super but my hair is course I just gave up on rollersets. I may leave the regular on longer next time.

Super was fine, to burning or breakage, I didn't have a pprotien conditioner so I used a protien leave in spray and I used a ACV solourtion to neutralise. My hair feels strong and moisturised (used Aubrey Organics HSR).

Don't be afraid to use super if you need it, as long as you are practicing good relaxing techniques anyway; you should be fine.

Could the Relaxer been Old/Expired?:perplexed

Also, they say that Lye doesn't get you as Super-Duper Straight as No-Lye. And it doesn't give you the dryness of No-Lye Either. So that is probably why your hair is So Soft even if it appears underprocessed.

I think you should wait 6-8 Weeks before attempting the Corrective, and just treat your hair with DC's to build it back up preparing it for the "corrective"

And I think you should either switched back to Affirm or if you decide to stay with SE, Leave it on a bit Longer.:look:

2 Weeks Prior, I Clarify, Co-Wash, DC etc...
1 Week Prior, I do my Protein Treatment

I also include a mid-protein step after rinsing and before neutralizing.:yep:

Could the Relaxer been Old/Expired?:perplexed

Also, they say that Lye doesn't get you as Super-Duper Straight as No-Lye. And it doesn't give you the dryness of No-Lye Either. So that is probably why your hair is So Soft even if it appears underprocessed.

I think you should wait 6-8 Weeks before attempting the Corrective, and just treat your hair with DC's to build it back up preparing it for the "corrective"

And I think you should either switched back to Affirm or if you decide to stay with SE, Leave it on a bit Longer.:look:

2 Weeks Prior, I Clarify, Co-Wash, DC etc...
1 Week Prior, I do my Protein Treatment

I also include a mid-protein step after rinsing and before neutralizing.:yep:

I agree with T,except for one point :spinning: If you can make it 8 weeks to wait for a corrective, I would say just go the extra 2-3 weeks, skip the corrective and do your regular touchup.

I agree with T,except for one point :spinning: If you can make it 8 weeks to wait for a corrective, I would say just go the extra 2-3 weeks, skip the corrective and do your regular touchup.

Yep.:yep: Good Point Soulie. Thanks. I forgot she was only going 10 weeks between T.U's.

Thanks ladies, I feel so much better being given this info. I think I may plan it so that I can buy the Affirm. Question: Can I use the SE nutralizing shampoo with the Affirm?

Thanks ladies, I feel so much better being given this info. I think I may plan it so that I can buy the Affirm. Question: Can I use the SE nutralizing shampoo with the Affirm?

Yes, You should be able to use it. Just make sure it contains a Color Code to ensure that you have washed all the Relaxer from your Hair.

I used Mizani Butter Blends but I Neutralized with Isoplus. No Problems. You should be fine.

Let us know how it goes next time.:yep:

It was probably the jbco. Oil significantly slows down the chemicals in relaxers.

1. Should I do a corrective and how long should I wait? I was really just considering waiting another 10 or 11 weeks until Thanksgiving if my hair will make it. IMO You should wait if you can it's the safest route than running the risk of overlaping or overprocessing.

2. What did I do wrong! Not sure it could have been the activator it's cones that coat the hair. Maybe you didn't leave it in long enough or smooth enough. How long did you leave it in? Did you follow the instructions? and how was smoothing?

3. What should I do the week and days leading up to the relaxer? I would say use less product the week you plan to relax. If it isn't working why would you try it again? remember everything is not for everybody. What type of relaxer used to work for you will you consider going back. I had these types of problems did you go from no-lye to lye by any chance?

Yes, You should be able to use it. Just make sure it contains a Color Code to ensure that you have washed all the Relaxer from your Hair.

I used Mizani Butter Blends but I Neutralized with Isoplus. No Problems. You should be fine.

Let us know how it goes next time.:yep:

ITA with these ladies!!:supergrin:

Super was fine, to burning or breakage, I didn't have a pprotien conditioner so I used a protien leave in spray and I used a ACV solourtion to neutralise. My hair feels strong and moisturised (used Aubrey Organics HSR).

Don't be afraid to use super if you need it, as long as you are practicing good relaxing techniques anyway; you should be fine.

Thanks are you using lye or no-lye? I gave up on lye if it wasn't for Sylver 2. I would be texlaxed for life I used regular no-lye and left it in a little longer to get it straight.

Back