Why did this hairdresser tell me oil moisturizes the hair?

• Thread starter Thread starter chica_canella
  • Start date Start date
C

chica_canella

He was using the analogy that if you put some greens and fatback :lachen: in a pot and let it cook and simmer till it's greasy and then let it cool, there's going to be moisture in the hair if you tip the pot over because no oil can escape. Opposed to what i was saying, putting lotion and water-based moisturizer and letting it cool and tipping the pot over then the moisturizer and lotion is going to run out.

I think he was trying to say that the pot was the hair and oil was coating and being infused in the strands, not a good analogy at all.

I was telling him, that what the water-based moisturizer would be in the pot but then sealed with oil to stay inside.

He couldn't get it. then he was talking about how hair was pourous and if you put oil it's going to moisturize better but he couldn't understand that you moisturize with a water-based product and then keep the moisture in by sealing with oil.

What do you all think about this oil moisturizing thing? Doesn't make sense to me.:ohwell:

Girl i was confused too. i think he is saying was the grease cools in the pot the moisture can't escape from the hair but the lotion and moisturizer can. ANd i said, "that's why you seal with an oily substance!" to trap the moisture in , duh.:lachen:

and this was a hair dresser. i wish you could've of been there to hear it.

Yeah that was confusing. I've realized many people don't understand that oil is not a moisturizer. I learned that upon coming to LHCF but I had always belived it was. I was always told when I was younger if my hair was dry it needed oil.

Kari107 said:
Yeah that was confusing. I've realized many people don't understand that oil is not a moisturizer. I learned that upon coming to LHCF but I had always belived it was. I was always told when I was younger if my hair was dry it needed oil.

your hair looks great. but yeah, he was so persuasive he almost had me believing him.:lachen:

but i'm like, i've been using water-based moisturizers and it's working for me sooooo......forget what you are talking about.:lol:

I am confused by that analogy.:confused: Why greens and fatbacks of all things? Let me see, maybe the pot is the shaft and the stuff inside is the medulla. So the greens are the nutrients and the water of course is the moisture, and the lid is the oil which seals everything in? Wait no, then that would be wrong since "oil moisturizes." Who am I to judge. I didn't anything about hair just a year ago. Just grease occasionally, wash and go. :eek: Then again, he is a licensed professional, who obviously had food on the brain.:lol: He just needed a good meal. That's what I call a freudian slip.

Can someneone please give me examples of oil based moisturizer and a water based one. I use Elasta QP oil moisturizer and i'm not sure if it's water based or oil based. It has both in it. Sorry for the stupid question, this just confuses me.

jnicole said:
Can someneone please give me examples of oil based moisturizer and a water based one. I use Elasta QP oil moisturizer and i'm not sure if it's water based or oil based. It has both in it. Sorry for the stupid question, this just confuses me.
I'm confused about this as well. I recently spent about 15 minutes in the aisle of a BSS staring at the shelves perplexed like:confused:. Right now I use Africa's Best Shea Butter Moisturizer. Water is the first ingredient but has oils listed throughout the ingredients. I'm stepping out a limb by saying moisturizer=water. Therefore, water-based and oil-based are misnomers. A water based moisturizer can contain oil and vice-versa but if does not contain water then it's not a moisturizer. To me, all that differs is the consistency. It doesn't matter if it's "water-based" or "oil-based", as long as water is the first ingredient. This means that it has the highest content of all the ingredients. What are the ingredients of the Elasta QP? I hope this makes sense. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I sort of took an educated guess.

Back