Why can't EO oils be used alone on the scalp?

seraphim712

I notice that many people say to dilute the EO oils in a carrier oil. I know EO oils can be harmful if used alone, but what kind of injuries do they cause?

Also, I need a good recipe for the following oils:

Jojoba
Sweet Almond
Pepperment EO
Rosemary EO
Jasmine EO

Thanks

Most essential oils are safe and free of adverse side effects when used properly. However, as with any substance you are introducing into your body, it is important to use them intelligently. We recommend that you never eat or drink essential oils. You should pay attention to the following factors.

* ...Dose is the most important factor in essential oil safety. Some essential oils used in the wrong doses or too high a concentration have been found (in animal and laboratory studies) to contribute to tumor development and other harmful changes in the body. Some essential oils can even be damaging to the skin, liver and other organs if used improperly.

For more info, see Are Essential Oils Safe?

seraphim712 said:
I notice that many people say to dilute the EO oils in a carrier oil. I know EO oils can be harmful if used alone, but what kind of injuries do they cause?

Also, I need a good recipe for the following oils:

Jojoba
Sweet Almond
Pepperment EO
Rosemary EO
Jasmine EO

Thanks
Some essential oils are safe to use directly on the skin, such as lavender oil. It can be used on cuts, burns, as a fragrance, on the scalp, etc. Some can burn the skin so they need to be diluted with a base oil, like jojoba, almond oil, sesame oil.

I don't have a recipe for the oils on your list but here is a recipe with thyme, cedarwood, rosemary and lavender in a base of jojoba or grapeseed oil. The exact recipe is in this article and is scientifically to stimulate hair growth.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ight=essential

:wave: Hi Isis:

That's my all-time favorite recipe; it's the one I used to grow in my bald spots. :D

Isis said:
Some essential oils are safe to use directly on the skin, such as lavender oil. It can be used on cuts, burns, as a fragrance, on the scalp, etc. Some can burn the skin so they need to be diluted with a base oil, like jojoba, almond oil, sesame oil.

I don't have a recipe for the oils on your list but here is a recipe with thyme, cedarwood, rosemary and lavender in a base of jojoba or grapeseed oil. The exact recipe is in this article and is scientifically to stimulate hair growth.

[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ight=essential"]http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ight=essential[/URL]

Wow!!! That was the main recipe I was looking for specifically. Thanks so much:D :D :D

I feel kinda slow right now, can someone explain to me the difference between essential oils and carrier oils? I always thought that oils were just oils. :look:

Thanks

sweetcoco said:
I feel kinda slow right now, can someone explain to me the difference between essential oils and carrier oils? I always thought that oils were just oils. :look:

Thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oils

"Dangers

Because of their concentrated nature, EO's generally should not be applied directly to the skin in their undiluted or "neat" form. Some can cause severe irritation or provoke an allergic reaction. Instead, essential oils should be blended with a vegetable carrier oil (also referred to as a base or "fixed" oil) before being applied. Common carrier oils include olive, almond, hazelnut and grapeseed. Common ratio of essential oil disbursed in a carrier oil is 0.5–3% (most less than 10%) and depends on its purpose. Some EO's including many of the citrus peel oils, are photosensitizers, increasing the skin's reaction to sunlight and making it more likely to burn.
Industrial users of essential oils should consult the material safety data sheets (MSDS) to determine the hazards and handling requirements of particular oils."

OnAHairQuest said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oils

"Dangers

Because of their concentrated nature, EO's generally should not be applied directly to the skin in their undiluted or "neat" form. Some can cause severe irritation or provoke an allergic reaction. Instead, essential oils should be blended with a vegetable carrier oil (also referred to as a base or "fixed" oil) before being applied. Common carrier oils include olive, almond, hazelnut and grapeseed. Common ratio of essential oil disbursed in a carrier oil is 0.5–3% (most less than 10%) and depends on its purpose. Some EO's including many of the citrus peel oils, are photosensitizers, increasing the skin's reaction to sunlight and making it more likely to burn.
Industrial users of essential oils should consult the material safety data sheets (MSDS) to determine the hazards and handling requirements of particular oils."

Thank You ;)

Isis said:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ight=essential

when i click on that link, i get an error message, is there another way that i can get to this article? can anyone tell me the title of the article by any chance?

bellezanegra826 said:
when i click on that link, i get an error message, is there another way that i can get to this article? can anyone tell me the title of the article by any chance?

Hey, I don't remember what article that was but the recipe can be found on several places on the Web, like this page under the heading Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth. (OT, that's the same recipe I used to grow back my bald spots as described in this thread.)

Back