Why are cheap conditioners so good? (Suave Tender Apple: I changed conditioners!)

My hair likes cheap conditioners too. I don't like Suave, but V05 Nourishing Oasis' are a hit :up:

Last edited:
MissDiva said:
I currently use Suave Tender Apple and I LOVE DDTA. I think the Tender Apple is good, but it doesn't detangle my hair as well as DDTA.

thanks MissDiva! Do you mind posting a pic of the STA bottle, or a place online that has a pic of the bottle? I went again today,to a different walmart, and had no luck.:(
thanks in advance

VO5, White Rain and Suave Conditioners work well with my hair. :up:
Some of the more expensive Conditioners are overrated IMO.

Do Sally's carry the PM The Detangler?
Cinnabuns said:
I hear ya Catsuga! :) Cheap conditioners are everywhere in my hair product shelve. I literally buy nothing over $3.00 for my hair and I can't even begin to tell you how fast it is growing, how easy it is to detangle, and the smoothness that my hair has gotten from using, Suave, V05, etc.

From what I have seen comparing labels in the past is the only difference from one expensive product versus the cheap one's is the "Name" ie. Paul Mitchell. I go to Sally's and buy their generic Paul Mitchell conditioners all the time and on the back of there product they compare it to the original Paul Mitchell products and the ingredient listing are exactly the same. :shock:

When I called the company about the DDTA and it's discontinuation a few months ago, the man said that one of the closest products to DDTA was one that their sister company had which were the Dove Conditioners. HTH

*Dee* said:
the only cheap conditioner that my hair likes is dove conditioners (not that cheap though) . and I didn't know that they had generic paul mitchel products :/ .

I wish my hair would respond to Suave, V05, DDTA, etc. :( It would put a lot more money back into my purse. But so far, the cheapies I've tried leave my hair very dry & brittle. The only thing close to a cheapie that my hair will tolerate is MNT.

I'm texturized band I use cheapie products exclusively. I have tried expensive conditioners... redken all soft, nexxus humectress, keracare humecto... all of them fell short. Especially the humectress and humecto... which are full of mineral oil (my hair says yuck to that stuff) I even went for months using humecto because I thought that it would make my hair healthier... I had horrible results. I still have a half full 5lb tub of the stuff that I let my brother and mom use.

I like to deep condition with suave naturals coconut, or any of the "naturals" line. V05 is excellent for leave-ins. My hair also likes lustrasilk/hollywood beauty cholesterol and luster's pink conditioner.

The only thing that I would use that is salon brand are semi-permanent colors (sebastian). Eveything else is drugstore/cheapie bss brand. It's just what my hair responds best to. Even though I'm not natural. Go figure.

czyfaith77 said:
Do Sally's carry the PM The Detangler?

I've definitely seen Sally's carry the generic version of this, but I don't think they have the actual line. I've seen it at Target and also at salons. HTH.

CatSuga, your hair has really grown out since your big chop! Your hair looks great!

So far, I have used Suave Humectant, Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions Hydrating, and V05 Strawberries & Cream. My experience has been as follows: During the co-washing process, my hair feels great, however, upon rinsing out the conditioner and letting my hair airdry, my hair would feel straw-like & look dry. I love how they make my hair feel when wet but all that moisture goes away once my hair dries.

I haven't tried any expensive conditioners yet. I've been eyeing Jason Naturals conditioners and will give it a go once I find time to go to the store.

ETA: Update... Suave Humectant is working for me again! The key for me is to not use a lot of conditioner when doing my co-wash because Suave Humectant has a cone in it. Jason Naturals is a lil too pricey for me right now so I'll stick with Suave for the time being. ;)

Last edited:
Evening ladies.
Suave ;) FOR CON -WASHES
I must say though, when you want to get out of a tangled mess, the best detangler award from me goes to:clap: :clap: :clap: JOHNSONS BABY SHAMPOO:yep: slip/slip/slip/

I prefer V05 moisture milks or silky experiences line for my cw's. They give me more moisture than the Suave. I especially love the Strawberries & Cream Moisture Milks. I've never used them as leave ins though but I may give it a try. Elucence will always be my staple higher end conditioner. I do have some Suave Juicy Green Apple left over, I don't know if it's a clarifying conditioner or not...

Last edited:
angellazette said:
I prefer V05 moisture milks or silky experiences line for my cw's. They give me more moisture than the Suave. I especially love the Strawberries & Cream Moisture Milks. .

ITA. I bought Suave Citrus Smoothie this week since I've been such a VO5 groupie. It's probably fine for a CW, but I can really feel the difference with my hair between this Suave and certainly with the VO5 moisture milks, silks, or tea therapy lines, and even less moisturizing (or at least less slip) than VO5 kiwi lime clarifying condish.

tishee said:
ladies is the juicy green apple a clarifying conditioner?

thanks in advance
tishee

I don't think it's a clarifying conditioner. Suave makes a daily clarifying conditioner. Here is a pic of the bottle and info on it.

79400-76760.jpg
Basics Daily Clarifying Conditioner Replenish the natural beauty of your hair with this 100% oil free formula. This special blend with light conditioners that never build up or weigh hair down. Say yes to beautiful without paying the price.
22.5 fl. oz. (666 ml)
prodTabs.push('79400-76760-about','79400-76760-directions','79400-76760-ingredients','79400-76760-promise'); ABOUT
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
DIRECTIONS
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
INGREDIENTS
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
THE SUAVE PROMISE For normal to oily hair

I love to use Suave Naturals conditioners as leave-in conditioners. They smell so yummy and they make my curls pop. However, I prefer to use VO5 conditioners for cowashing because they are more moisturizing especially after adding some molasses or oils to them.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I don't think it's a clarifying conditioner. Suave makes a daily clarifying conditioner. Here is a pic of the bottle and info on it.

79400-76760.jpg
Basics Daily Clarifying Conditioner Replenish the natural beauty of your hair with this 100% oil free formula. This special blend with light conditioners that never build up or weigh hair down. Say yes to beautiful without paying the price.
22.5 fl. oz. (666 ml)
prodTabs.push('79400-76760-about','79400-76760-directions','79400-76760-ingredients','79400-76760-promise'); ABOUT
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
DIRECTIONS
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
INGREDIENTS
tab_nav_brdr_shrt.gif
THE SUAVE PROMISE For normal to oily hair

I really don't know how I got this home ,because my hair is very dry and not even close to being normal or even oily... but I give it a try and I loved it:eek:

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think it may have something to do with being relaxed verses natural. Not sure but it seems like more naturals can use inexpensive products verses relaxed head, how about doing a poll to see how many naturals verses relaxed heads uses cheapie conditioners/poo's or expensive cond./poo's to see the results.

BeautifulWideEyes,

I think you may be on to something. I'm relaxed and have tried Suave, VO5 etc, and they do nothing but make my hair dry and hard. I wish they would work for me, it would be easier and cheaper than having to order my Elucence.

LadyJ76 said:
BeautifulWideEyes,

I think you may be on to something. I'm relaxed and have tried Suave, VO5 etc, and they do nothing but make my hair dry and hard. I wish they would work for me, it would be easier and cheaper than having to order my Elucence.

I totally agree. I'm relaxed and I HATE cheap products -- even for daily CWs.

I love VO5 and Sunsilk Hydra TLC. I don't know what my hair would do without these! Suave however, dries out and tangles my hair like nothing else!!! I use their shampoo to clarify, but not before a good pre-poo and a good slathering on of my Sunsilk Hydra TLC multi symptom hair masque. Then I still have to wash it the next day with my Sunsilk Hydra shampoo and conditioner. I wish Suave would work for me!!!

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think it may have something to do with being relaxed verses natural. Not sure but it seems like more naturals can use inexpensive products verses relaxed head, how about doing a poll to see how many naturals verses relaxed heads uses cheapie conditioners/poo's or expensive cond./poo's to see the results.

you might have something there, because i find that the cheapie condish are GREAT and i am natural. i honestly think any moisturizing conditioner will work on my hair.

I love Suave vanilla and sugar for detangling and the scent. I also love Suave biobasics for deep con. I put the biobasics on and heat for 15 minutes, great results. This stuff is just as good as the biolage and you get a huge amount for a fraction of the price.

Back