Why am I getting no suds when I shampoo?

HairQueen

Hi Ladies,

I have noticed lately that my hair is taking longer and longer to sud when I shampoo and even then it is hardley much. Am I doing sth wrong? I normally pre-poo by wetting my hair then adding avocado oil (sometimes overnight) or same day for a couple of hours. I then apply my shampoo to my hair (before wetting) then wet and attempt to sud. I am wasting so much shampoo and getting very little suds!

My hair is a LOT more moisturised than it used to be since I started deep con 2x per week, am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Can anybody offer any tips?

Sometimes shampoos will not sud if you have hard water. Also, apply shampoo to wet hair.

But even if the shampoo doesn't sud, it still cleans your hair.

But I know how you feel, I like have suds too! :yep:

I use to get alot of suds when i used shampoo with Sulfates in them, but when i found out that sulfates is what causes my hair to dry out then i switched to a different shampoo. I think that the sulfates help cause the suds to form.

What kind of shampoo are you using? I am thinking maybe it could be the pre-poo with the avocado oil that's making your shampoo not sud up. Whenever I do a pre-poo with oils I notice that I have to shampoo more than once to get rid of the excess oils in my hair. After the oils are removed from my hair I start to get suds after shampooing the second time.

Maybe you have hard water. Since you are from London, I hear London is known for hard water. But in addition to that, when you do a pre-poo, your shampoo tends not to suds up as it would normally does. Just remember that suds aren't that neccessary and only a cosemetic thing to make you believe that you must have suds to feel clean.

Thanks ladies for your responses.

I think you guys are right about the hard water thing the water out here is HAAARD!

The type of shampoos I use are the gentler ones - the ones that don't contain too many sulfates (I can't remember off the top of my head right now the names) but I read that the harsh ones strip your hair too dry so I purposely now choose the ones that are milder like creme of nature for example. Maybe that is the reason.

Pooh, I guess I have been watching too many hair adverts on tv! (or commercials I think you call them) you know the ones where you see the woman in the shower with her hair all full of suds :lol:

Last edited:
i think we've ALL be programmed to love the suds! :lol: but if youre using sulfate free shampoos (which i think cream of nature is) then youre gonna see less suds....and for us, thats a GOOD thing!

You don't need to have suds when shampooing. In fact I've learned that when you do sud it can be because you have too much shampoo in your hair. That adds up to wasting your product.
:)

Product build up can cause no suds when shampooing. I know this has happened to me before. At times, it can take a few tries before my shampoo produces suds (since I have to get through the product build up).

Back