Who's had their hair colored by AVEDA?

shellzfoshizzle

Spring and summer are coming up and I want a new look. Nothing drastic but just a little change. I saw that there is an Aveda Institute (www.avedainstitutes.com) in my city and I want to get my hair colored there. At the institute, they have the students (supervised by licensed professionals) to do your hair. I went in there and their prices are ri-dic-ulously cheap!

As many of you all know, I am transitioning and the two textures are super obvious. Do you think I should wait until I am done with the transition to color? I don't know of anyone who has colored their hair while transitioning. My natural hair is sooo friggin healthy. My relaxed ends are stronger and I've gotten over that 3-4 month breakage/shedding phase.

I know Aveda's products are plant and from natural, etc...but how are they on ethnic hair?

Sorry so long...just got a lot of questions.

shellzfoshizzle said:
Spring and summer are coming up and I want a new look. Nothing drastic but just a little change. I saw that there is an Aveda Institute (www.avedainstitutes.com) in my city and I want to get my hair colored there. At the institute, they have the students (supervised by licensed professionals) to do your hair. I went in there and their prices are ri-dic-ulously cheap!

As many of you all know, I am transitioning and the two textures are super obvious. Do you think I should wait until I am done with the transition to color? I don't know of anyone who has colored their hair while transitioning. My natural hair is sooo friggin healthy. My relaxed ends are stronger and I've gotten over that 3-4 month breakage/shedding phase.

I know Aveda's products are plant and from natural, etc...but how are they on ethnic hair?

Sorry so long...just got a lot of questions.

I have had bad experiences with entrusting students with chemical procedures. supervised by licensed professionals, I have found to mean they come look at your hair for five seconds and then leave...

I would just go to a profession for this one time chemical process to save $, time, and heartache:(

I say go for it! I'm no longer transitioning, but I've been toying with the idea of having a student at the Aveda Institute color my natural hair as well.

balisi said:
I say go for it! I'm no longer transitioning, but I've been toying with the idea of having a student at the Aveda Institute color my natural hair as well.

Ok you wanna come with me and hold my hand then :lol: ...Plenty706 got me scared! So are you 100% natural then?

shellzfoshizzle said:
Ok you wanna come with me and hold my hand then :lol: ...Plenty706 got me scared! So are you 100% natural then?
Girl we could go together to get our color done if we were within close proximity. :lol: I'm not sure what Plenty meant about bad experiences, but I ain't scurred!

balisi said:
Girl we could go together to get our color done if we were within close proximity. :lol: I'm not sure what Plenty meant about bad experiences, but I ain't scurred!

OK I think you got me hyped up alittle bit. What color are you trying to get?! lol

I really want this!

I normally get my color done at an Aveda Concept salon. I like it! I get the most compliments!

I was going to get my color touched up this week, but my $100 budget is going to the vet. So I might have to do it myself...my gray is looking horrible!

shellzfoshizzle said:
OK I think you got me hyped up alittle bit. What color are you trying to get?! lol

I really want this!
I wanted a deep, rich red, but with the warmer temps approaching, I think a copper-red tone would be more appropriate. How 'bout U?

Not to insult anybody, but I get the best color results from non AA salons. My colorist is A guy who is Arabic. He layers and blends 3 to 4 different colors and I must say...it looks great!

I look like an ol gray mare right now...but normally i look good!;)

toosexy1 said:
im looking at the one in atlanta and i might go get some red streaks. im seriously thinking about it. somebody hold my hand!

Me too, nothing too bright though.

Many of the ladies on Nappturality often sings praises of Avedas hair coloring. I'd do it too, if there was a location in either city I'm in.

I had my hair colored by Aveda last year and have not had any problems with breakage. I am going to get it colored again this year and will only go back to them. They use natural products which are much better for the hair.

I plan on getting a different color this year because the color I chose did not look good on me, although it looked just like the color I selected. I put a rinse on it shortly thereafter but I now know which color is right for me.

aquarian1252004 said:
Many of the ladies on Nappturality often sings praises of Avedas hair coloring. I'd do it too, if there was a location in either city I'm in.

That's good to know. Nappturality posters have lots of natural hair expertise. I am glad to hear they like going to some of the salons.

I went to Aveda and I was talking to a student albeit about a facial, her hair looked natural and it was colored a gorgeous color, her make up was really pretty too.

Ask for a senior student!

We have an Adveda on the corner here. A hop, skip, and a jsump for me. I know people who get their hair cut, color and eyebrows shapped. I would say out of the 7 reports I have heard only one person was upset about there cut. The person who got a cut and color was very happy with it but she only did it one time.

Always ask for a senior student!

andreab said:
Ask for a senior student!

We have an Adveda on the corner here. A hop, skip, and a jsump for me. I know people who get their hair cut, color and eyebrows shapped. I would say out of the 7 reports I have heard only one person was upset about there cut. The person who got a cut and color was very happy with it but she only did it one time.

Always ask for a senior student!
thanks! thats what ima do :lachen:

A have heard a lot of good things about their color-mostly, that their colors are less damaging then other colors. Never had one done but I hear that A LOT.

toosexy1 said:
im looking at the one in atlanta and i might go get some red streaks. im seriously thinking about it. somebody hold my hand!

i was looking at that one too. i got my hair cut at nani salon downtown and they did an amazing job. ive been wanting to get a deep auburn color.

I checked out the one in DC. The prices were very reasonable. Some color treatments were $45 which includes the color application, shampoo and styling. Have any naturals gone to the salons on this site? I am considering doing a a lighter color on top, medium color in the middle and a dark color on the bottom.

Country gal said:
I checked out the one in DC. The prices were very reasonable. Some color treatments were $45 which includes the color application, shampoo and styling. Have any naturals gone to the salons on this site? I am considering doing a a lighter color on top, medium color in the middle and a dark color on the bottom.

You're talking about the Aveda Institute, the beauty school right? I have been wanting to go there for color. I might try it in a month or two..

prettyinpurple said:
You're talking about the Aveda Institute, the beauty school right? I have been wanting to go there for color. I might try it in a month or two..

I do plan on getting my hair done soon. We need to hook up. I will show pics once I get it done. I'll share the info with you too. I like your current hair color.

Country gal said:
I do plan on getting my hair done soon. We need to hook up. I will show pics once I get it done. I'll share the info with you too. I like your current hair color.

Thanks! I can't wait to see how your hair turns out. I really want highlights but I'm a little scared. A guy at an Aveda salon in Boston used to cut and color my hair (just all over color), but he didn't recommend getting highlights since he would have to bleach my hair. And he was worried that I would loose some curl pattern from the bleach. So i'm still deciding, I used to love getting my relaxed hair highlighted.

@aminata: The aveda institute in DC is in Gallery Place. Here's their contact info from their website.
713 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
Tel: 800.884.3588, 202-824-1624
Fax: 202.824.1620

I have been in the salon, it looks nice. I just happened to see it when I was @ Galley Place to see a movie. They did tell me that you do need to call for appts, you can't just walk in like other beauty schools. I believe there might be a little wait time to get an appointment b/c it's still new.

Last edited:
Back