Who uses ground flaxseed?

I do because I wanted to get the fiber at the same time. I mix it with my daily smoothie. However I noticed that in the other thread people use the oil instead. I am not experimenting those benefits though YET. I will continue using because I like the taste.

I've been grounding my own flaxseeds for years (it's waaay cheaper than the oil!) and its more versatile to consume as a "powder" IMO. I have a coffee grounder just for flaxseeds and I put it in all kinds of stuff -- smoothies, protein shakes, hot and cold cereals, gravies, homemade baked goods like breads and cookies and sometimes, just stirred up in some water or juice. If I'm really rushing, I just eat the seeds "straight" as a snack!

Neroli said:
I've been grounding my own flaxseeds for years (it's waaay cheaper than the oil!) and its more versatile to consume as a "powder" IMO. I have a coffee grounder just for flaxseeds and I put it in all kinds of stuff -- smoothies, protein shakes, hot and cold cereals, gravies, homemade baked goods like breads and cookies and sometimes, just stirred up in some water or juice. If I'm really rushing, I just eat the seeds "straight" as a snack!
I've done everything you said for years too! I keep my whole flaxseeds in my fridge and grind them as I need it. Same Omega 3 as the oil but with all the fiber and like Neroli said, its so much cheaper. :yep:
I have a bottle of Spectrum flaxseed oil too.

I was just reading something that said you should store the ground seeds in an opaque container. I always store in a see through container. What about you?

alexstin said:
I was just reading something that said you should store the ground seeds in an opaque container. I always store in a see through container. What about you?
That's to keep the ground seeds from going rancid, which they can very quickly. They must be refridgerated also. I eat my ground seeds the same day I grind them.

I need to find a opaque container. I've never ran across that info before.I usually grind enough to last 5-7 days and put in the back of the fridge.

Thanks for the info regarding grinding your whole flaxseeds! I will be getting the whole seeds tomorrow and only planned to use them whole, but now I will buy a coffee grinder for added variety!

I sprinkle flaxeed in either oatmeal or whatever cereal I have in the mornings. On days I don't have cereal, I have the oil I bought at the health food store.

Doll said:
Thanks for the info regarding grinding your whole flaxseeds! I will be getting the whole seeds tomorrow and only planned to use them whole, but now I will buy a coffee grinder for added variety!

Yeah, you have to be careful with them whole. If you don't chew them VERY well they'll pass right through your system and you won't get any of the benefits.:)

I use it and I love it. I sprinkle it on hot or cold cereal, yogurt, banana, shakes and waffles. I keep it tightly sealed in the refrigerator.

Back