Who Transitioned 3+ years??

soon2bsl

I've been searching to find ladies on the board that have done super long transitions, such as 3 years or more and have only come across 2, Miss Marie, and Crazydaze911. (very inspiring btw). I'll be 1 year into my transition next month, and looking transition long term without the BC. It's my hope to make WSL by next summer 2011, and I'll maintain at waist until all the relaxed ends are gone, so I know it'll probably take me atleast 3 years.

Please share your info if you've transitioned 3 years or more, and/or post Youtube and/or fotki links of these ladies. Looking for some inspiriation and want to see what length they were when the finally snipped the relaxed ends. TIA!

I transitioned 2 years 4 months. I never did a BC. My last trim (1 inch) I realized I had no more relaxed ends. I'm now close to BSL.

I think blackmasterpiece has been natural since she was born

missmarie I think did 3+ years

I am almost at 2 and I plan to keep going past 3 :)

I know themakeupvirgin, Donna, says in this video that she transitioned for 8 yrs. with periodic trims. I am aiming for three years as well and this past Feb. made my first year. I cut off nearly 6 inches of relaxed hair over that first year with a lot still left, but everything is going smoothly.

Great ladies! Thanks, keep them coming, if you know of any more. For those that replied that did 2+ year transition, what did you find most helpful to do such a long term transition and resisting the urge to BC?

I plan on transitioning for 3 years or more if necessary. I want my natural hair to be APL unstretched. I'll be a year post this month, so I am glad to see there are a few going for the long haul too.

I plan on transitioning for 3 years or more if necessary. I want my natural hair to be APL unstretched. I'll be a year post this month, so I am glad to see there are a few going for the long haul too.

Yes, glad to see I'm not the only one in it for the long haul. I know it can be done, but it will take a lot of patience. I've gone from SL to grazing BSL in 10.5 months, and don't want to lose my length. Want to keep growing, growing, growing, and reach my goal length while gaining a head full of natural hair. :)

Anyone who transitions for over 1.5 yrs deserves an award, standing ovation something. That takes some serious determination and discipline , how do you ladies do it?

Anyone who transitions for over 1.5 yrs deserves an award, standing ovation something. That takes some serious determination and discipline , how do you ladies do it?

LOL, I know that's right! I found what's been working best for me during this transition are protective styles where I can keep my hair hidden for atleast a month at a time (sew ins, and now crochets). That way I'm less tempted to chop it, because I can't play with my new growth. I'll probably be doing these types of protective style for a while, to reach my goal.

I plan on doing a long term transition. It takes a lot of patience but it can be done. It actually seems to be getting easier and I don't do braids or weaves. I've been wearing ponytails and flat ironing (1x-2x mth max)

I am going for 2+ maybe 3 as well! I've been transitioning since Feb 09 so I am at 15 months now. Time does fly by!

Btw I am in braids constantly doing the C&G method! But I only can go 1.5 months with them at a time. Gotta cover these greys!!!!!

Last edited:
Blackmasterpiece?
Yeppers!:yep:

I think blackmasterpiece has been natural since she was born
lol, close, but not quite, I've been natural most of my life however I was relaxed for about 3.5 yrs then I decided to long term transition to go natural for good.

No blackmasterpiece did a long transition before she found the boards. Don't know how long it was
Yep! When I decided to go back to my natural hair for good in 05' I knew I was gonna do a looooong-term transition and thats exactly what I did.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or how I was gonna go about it:lol: but I knew two things for sure:

1) I was going natural for good.

2) I wasn't cutting my hair.......ever.​

So I did senegalese twists, micro braids, and presses and a whoooolllle lottta ponytails to get me through. Little by little I taught myself to do an array of natural looks and developed a very simple regimen that had me consistently at or grazing BSL. One day early in 08 I was blowing my hair out and I realized my hair was kinky from root to tip and I was like NICE! and rocked my BAA for the world to see right away:cool2:. I was enjoying my hair and growing it nicely. Then, last July I stumbled upon the boards while researching more natural shampoo's and now I share my styles with yall!:grin:

I think the fact that I was not on boards was a big contributing factor to me staying on track with the super-long transition....because if I saw all these gorgeous baldies and twa's when I was transitioning I might've buckled lol

I have nothing to add :nono:. Folks I would have pointed out, have already been listed.

One thing I WILL say is that ANYONE who can long-term transition (protective styling or otherwise) deserves a standing ovation. When I first decided to go natural, I said I would do it for a year (I figured I'd have a "workable" length), but there was no way I was gonna cut my hair THAT short... and blah blah blah... this that and the third. I made it just shy of 6 months :look: Whomp!

~S~

Well, I'm attempting a long transition with braids. I'm now 2 years post and will carry on until I get fed up or the relaxed ends break off, whichever comes first. I have an album (link in my profile) but there isn't much to look at. HTH

Back