authored by Nicole Durham. This short, easy to read book breaks the mold
of wedding planning, empowering brides to plan their weddings from
beginning to end, achieve seamless execution, save money, and enjoy the
day without sacrificing quality or perfection. There is no other
wedding planning book available in the market that provides the tips and
wedding day execution templates from an actual wedding planner. Who Says
You Need a Wedding Planner is available for purchase on amazon.com,
borders.com, and target.com.

This is a friend of the family's new book :)

As a wedding/event planner, I will not provide an arguement that is truly slanted to my profession. However, I must say that there are a slew of articles, books and blogs denoucing the need for wedding planners. What is the most misleading of all the communication out thereregarding this matter is the notion that wedding planners are useless advisers who are there to drain the last penny out of the bridal budget. The fact is that most planners serve as more than a behind the scenes consultant. The ost effective role a planner plays is budgeting. Many brides I have worked with in the past have told me about how friends, relatives and coworkers exceded their budget because they did not factor certain things ahead of time. A planner could have prevented this. Also, many planners have relationships with area vendors who can offer discount of as much as 15%. This is a significant discount when you consider a bridal budget. If the total budget were $30,000, that is a savings of $4500. Many planners average price is about $4,000-6,000. So this service has paid for itself AND someone has done ALL the legwork for you.

There are number of brides who can plan and execute their weddings flawlessly. But for the rest, there is always a planner.

I didn't have a wedding planner but now I wish I did. I was stressed out and could have used the help. Plus I messed up on several things.

The wedding I went to this weekend was the most beautiful wedding I'd gone to and she had a very good planner.

i had a planner, but she didn't do all the planning in a traditional sense. She was more like the day before/day of coordinator. She was always there to answer questions and offer suggestions, but thats all she did. I would suggest folx to at least get the day of planner which costs around $700. Though a wedding planner might be good, i would not condone anyone forking out a $4,000. that is totally absurd. I had a huge problem with wedding vendors (floral, reception, decor, planners, food, etc) always marking up the price just because it's a wedding. I felt totally taken advantage of and i wish it wasn't this way, but that is the way it is. So i just looked on the net and researched and did erthing myself, found my own vendors....and saved my $5,000 for something more important. money dont grow on trees....

I don't think u do need one per se...if you are creative and have reliable family and friends. I myself can see how you can benefit from having a good one. Planning a wedding is no joke!

My only experience with wedding planners are the ones I see on t.v. And from what I can tell depending on the personality and planning skills of person you choose, a planner can make a wedding seem to come together effortlessly and with flawless detail. Or....they can be domineering and plan the wedding according to their vision, discounting what the bride (and groom) want.

Personally, if I could afford it I would totally want to hire a planner. I'm sure that it's possible to completely plan your own wedding and make it fabulous. I just wouldn't want the stress. I'm not the most detail oriented and sometimes the details make all the difference.

As a professional bridal consultant I agree with PME Lady. Some couples just don't want to deal with the stress of the wedding themselves. I have had a DJ loose the couples first dance song. And I had to download it from a community computer magically without them knowing. I have had the MOB heel on her shoe break 20 minutes before the wedding. Many people just don't know some of the stressful things that occur behind the scenes. If I was the bride, I wouldn't want to deal with either one of those things happening on my day, so sometimes it is to the couples advantage. Plus we consultants can get discounts that the average consumer is not able to get.

Mizani_Mrs said:
i had a planner, but she didn't do all the planning in a traditional sense. She was more like the day before/day of coordinator. She was always there to answer questions and offer suggestions, but thats all she did. I would suggest folx to at least get the day of planner which costs around $700. Though a wedding planner might be good, i would not condone anyone forking out a $4,000. that is totally absurd. I had a huge problem with wedding vendors (floral, reception, decor, planners, food, etc) always marking up the price just because it's a wedding. I felt totally taken advantage of and i wish it wasn't this way, but that is the way it is. So i just looked on the net and researched and did erthing myself, found my own vendors....and saved my $5,000 for something more important. money dont grow on trees....

ITA with the bolded. I have been planning my wedding on my own for the past few months and as soon as you tell a vendor something is for a wedding, the prices go up. I'm DIYing alot of things for this reason. I've also started to not tell people what I need things for unless it's completely obvious. I refuse to be taken advantage of.
I think that a wedding planner is a great thing if you can't do without, but there is no way I am paying someone thousands of dollars to plan a "party".

If I had to do it over again I would hire a planner. Too many mess-ups that could have been avoided if I'd had someone else handling things.
I remember a "Whose Wedding is it Anyway" at which the bride did her own decorations. She made the centerpieces, banners, favors, on and on. But she had the planner to advise and to coordinate the day of.

I didn't need to hire a separate planner, a planner kind of came with the reception venue, then one of my hostesses and the bridesmaids handled everything at the church. During my planning beforehand, there is a little bridal shop that I went to, and they guided me through everything, but I didn't have to pay them for the help. I live in a medium sized city, but there aren't so many venues that I needed a planner to guide me. Also, once you go to one place, they refer you to other places. Like if you pick out Alfred Angelo for bridesmaids gowns, they will have tons of info on local cake designers, etc. My DH helped a lot with the planning, if your fiance or a trusted relative isn't going to help, I would suggest hiring a planner.

LOL, I remember on the day of my sister's wedding a bridesmaid got red lipstick all over her dress. I had to run to the dry cleaner's with her to rectify the situation. I was the defacto planner, makeup artist etc :lol:

If it were my wedding, I indeed would want a planner.

I have been watching Wedding shows lately. I wonder if you really need a planner. I think it would be nice to have some one be the main contact for any problems the day of the wedding. When I get married, I would have my info already in place of what I want. A planner wouldn't really need to help me with a vision, because I have already pieced it together.

My venue had a planner with it. It was great. My family handled the rest of the things. I do recommend getting some REAL help though. It can take a lot of your time particularly if you are having a wedding within 6-9 months of the engagement.

Looking for a black wedding planner in SC for a friend. Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

My friend who got married two years ago had a planner and he highly recommended getting one because he said she made the experience stress free. I never thought of getting a wedding planner for my wedding. I’ve been planning events since I was in my early 20’s not something as big as a wedding, but I’ve done small and large 100+ events so I think I should be fine in that area. I would have to admit event planning is very stressful though, but I’ve learned when bad things happen you just roll with it. It’s rare to have an event go perfectly planned. There’s always something. I’m older now so I don’t put weddings on a pedestal anymore. It’s just one day and I’m not willing to put too much money on it. I’d rather put the money for an event planner on a house.

Looking for a black wedding planner in SC for a friend. Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks!
I have a few I can recommend if you mean South Carolina or Southern California? depending on her budget and when the wedding is.

I have a few I can recommend if you mean South Carolina or Southern California? depending on her budget and when the wedding is.

Hi @Jmartjrmd I meant South Carolina, Greeneville mainly. I'm not sure what her wedding budget is, I think 25K? but not sure.
Please let me know if you have any recs. Thanks!

Hi @Jmartjrmd I meant South Carolina, Greeneville mainly. I'm not sure what her wedding budget is, I think 25K? but not sure.
Please let me know if you have any recs. Thanks!
Ok I have a few off the top of my head she can contact.

Larger than Life events is out of Charleston. She and her husband are into the luxury wedding scene and I know she has a minimum for what people spend before she'll take you as a client. It's probably 15 to 20k minimum but as she grows so does her price. She travels though. She can look her up on Facebook as well as her website

There is also Brittany
She does beautiful work out of Columbia. I'm not sure of her pricing or if she travels.

I do this kind of work also but I'm not a planner..I do decor only.

I have a few more I just know their names but can find out the company names as well.

But before I do is she looking for just a planner ie someone that coordinates all the different vendors, a day of coordinator or someone who does decor and plans.

Back