Who makes their own spray moisturisers?

Nanyanika

I experiment with a mixture of (water,glycerin,vo5 conditioner) sometimes i add other products. Do you find it more moisturising than products such as sta-sof-fro and s-curl being used individually. please share your receipes with me!!!

What ingredients do you use? please let me into your secret, i wear braids 24/7 and i want to keep them ultra moisturised. thanks

simplycee said:
Den1 I make my own braid spray. I find this works better on my braids without the build up.

When I wear my hair curly, I use water, glycerin, african royale daily doctor, and infusium leave-in in a spray bottle. I like it better than store bought because I need a lot due to my thick hair.

CurlyCrly said:
When I wear my hair curly, I use water, glycerin, african royale daily doctor, and infusium leave-in in a spray bottle. I like it better than store bought because I need a lot due to my thick hair.

Hi curlycurly, i'm curious how much glycerin are you adding to your mix, i'm not sure how much is enough?

btw how are you progressing with your hair you must be past-brastrap by now, your hair has always inspired me, your type 4a/3c too aren't you?

Hi den1,

I used to measure 1-2 tablespoons of glycerin per 8 oz of water, but I got lazy and just poured it in, along with the other products.

My hair is a little longer than shoulder length now. I have been cutting it to grow out the layers because I no longer wanted the bulky look that I had going on. It's finally all one length now. :) I am getting bored with it though and I am thinking about a change. I thought of coloring it a lighter color...maybe brown, but semi-perm doesn't really take on my hair and I don't want to use a permanent color. Maybe a wig. I can't cornrow tight enough to save my life (and I'm not going to pay someone to do it), so weaves are out. I thought that wearing it straight for a while would take away the need for change, but it hasn't worked. lol

So, my solution has been to start increasing and changing my vitamin/mineral intake, plus add some amino acids and msm. Perhaps that will make it grow faster and that will give me enough of a change to satisfy me for now. :)

I'm happy you've attained your goal of removing the layers you didn't want anymore. If your looking for a change try something spontaneous with your hair within reason i mean. You wear it curly often, so try braiding, flat-twists, afro, straw-sets, braid-outs or different styles of wigs with diffrent colour variations. The msm, aminos acids along with solid b-complex really helped kick start my growth, give it go and see whther you like the results. I hope to see pics of your new hair soon.

CurlyCrly said:
Hi den1,

I used to measure 1-2 tablespoons of glycerin per 8 oz of water, but I got lazy and just poured it in, along with the other products.

My hair is a little longer than shoulder length now. I have been cutting it to grow out the layers because I no longer wanted the bulky look that I had going on. It's finally all one length now. :) I am getting bored with it though and I am thinking about a change. I thought of coloring it a lighter color...maybe brown, but semi-perm doesn't really take on my hair and I don't want to use a permanent color. Maybe a wig. I can't cornrow tight enough to save my life (and I'm not going to pay someone to do it), so weaves are out. I thought that wearing it straight for a while would take away the need for change, but it hasn't worked. lol

So, my solution has been to start increasing and changing my vitamin/mineral intake, plus add some amino acids and msm. Perhaps that will make it grow faster and that will give me enough of a change to satisfy me for now. :)

I use Hair Insurance by Aussie and glycerin with Salarem. I use this mixture after I rinse out my conditioner. I air dry with this mixture still in my hair. Once my hair is 85% dry I'll use a creame mositurizer.

I mix the following using a "a few drops of this and dash of that" (no special measurements), just enough of each to get the right "feel" and fragrance:

distilled water (in a 2oz spray bottle)
panthenol
glycerin
castor
jojoba
rosemary
yland

den1 said:
What ingredients do you use? please let me into your secret, i wear braids 24/7 and i want to keep them ultra moisturised. thanks

Den1
I use distilled water, a little Infusium 23 for dry hair, evoo and a couple drops of peppermint or rosemary essential oils. I give the bottle a good shake and spray twice daily. I never get build up at the base of the braids.

ETA: I sometimes mix in some MSM or biotin when I remember. I just open a capsule or two and pour it right in!

Last edited:
Distilled water and about 1-2 tablespoonfuls of NTM leave in conditioner, panthenol and a few drops of squalane.

Thanks for replying your braid spray sounds wonderful, i used add msm to my products too, as a matter of fact i have a few capsules left over, i'm going to add this to my mix.

simplycee said:
Den1
I use distilled water, a little Infusium 23 for dry hair, evoo and a couple drops of peppermint or rosemary essential oils. I give the bottle a good shake and spray twice daily. I never get build up at the base of the braids.

ETA: I sometimes mix in some MSM or biotin when I remember. I just open a capsule or two and pour it right in!

simplycee said:
Den1

Could this work on relaxed hair? I was thinking of using this exact same mixture!

This spray is not homemade but the ingredients are wonderful. I cant remember all off the top of my head but they are all good....

wondergroshea.gif

I'm currently using a bottle of leftover s-curl, water and Nexxus Botanic oil (not the shampoo) to mist my hair once a day.

When I need something light, I have sprayed my hair w/ water, leftover conditioner (like VO5) and a few drops of EVOO mixed together.

I've been experimenting with rosewater in my spray mixes. Today I came up with one in which I used:
4oz Chamomile tea brewed in distilled water
1oz rosewater
1 TBSP jojoba oil
1 TBSP glycerin
2 TBSP Nature's Gate jojoba conditioner
1/8tsp vitamin E oil
4 drops each of Lavender, Patchouli & Ylang-ylang EO
3 drops of cederwood EO

I spritzed some on earlier today and my hair still feels great. Usually by this time, my hair is feeling dry and a bit oily but tonight it feels perfect.

I use dark and lovely leave-in or infusium leave in (1 cup) and another cup of water. I put them in a sray botle and total saturate my ends before I put my baggie on. Sometimes I do this daily along with vasaline.

Right now I have a spray bottle mixture of essential and vegtable oils mixed with spring water (since Chicago has major hard water & I have not purchased my filter yet). Oils include: Jojoba, olive, sweet almond, tea tree, grape seed, coconut, and avocado.

What does the essential oils do for the hair?

nurseN98 said:
I've been experimenting with rosewater in my spray mixes. Today I came up with one in which I used:
4oz Chamomile tea brewed in distilled water
1oz rosewater
1 TBSP jojoba oil
1 TBSP glycerin
2 TBSP Nature's Gate jojoba conditioner
1/8tsp vitamin E oil
4 drops each of Lavender, Patchouli & Ylang-ylang EO
3 drops of cederwood EO

I spritzed some on earlier today and my hair still feels great. Usually by this time, my hair is feeling dry and a bit oily but tonight it feels perfect.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Could this work on relaxed hair? I was thinking of using this exact same mixture!

I use something similar for my relaxed hair when I'm doing a braidout. I skip the Infusium and add a little vo5 conditioner (strawberries & cream or blueberries & cream). I spray enough to make my hair damp, NOT wet and braid up. My braidouts are always soft.

carmend said:
This spray is not homemade but the ingredients are wonderful. I cant remember all off the top of my head but they are all good....

wondergroshea.gif

I use this too...I love it. I even use it on my face at night.

simplycee said:
I use something similar for my relaxed hair when I'm doing a braidout. I skip the Infusium and add a little vo5 conditioner (strawberries & cream or blueberries & cream). I spray enough to make my hair damp, NOT wet and braid up. My braidouts are always soft.
Thanks. I'm looking for a spray I can use every day.

den1 said:
What does the essential oils do for the hair?
The ones that I picked are ones that I've seen in hair growth recipes. I used to use Rosemary till I heard that it may affect fertility. I'm not sure about the Patchouli, I've only seen it in one hair growth recipe, but the others I've seen in lots of recipes. The chamomile is also is supposed to be good for hair health in general. It actually is working the best out of all the other recipes I've tried. I'll probably change up the essential oils from time to time though. I've heard sage, burdock root, catnip and thyme are also good.

Back