Who is Over 25 and Has NOT Had a Relationship Last More than a Year?

Are you over 25 and have NOT had a relationship last more than a year?

• Yes - I'm over 25 and haven't had a relationship that's lasted more than a year

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • No - I'm over 25 and I've had at least one relationship that has lasted over a year

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • No - I'm over 25 and I've had several relationships that have lasted over a year

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • All of my serious relationships have lasted for 2 or more years

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYLegalNewbie

Anybody in here over the age of 25 and haven't had a relationship last more than a year?

What's the time frame that you consider "significant" as far as relationships? At what age does not having any relationships lasting more than a year set off warning flags?

For the record, I've had two relationships that have lasted more than a year. One of them had high potential to lead to marriage, but ended because of outside circumstances :(

I wish I hadn't. Less time would have been wasted with the wrong men. I don't see anything wrong with being over 25 and being in a relationship for less than a year, when the relationship was going nowhere anyway.

Last edited:
i've only had one solid relationship last for a year and a half. but i've only "seriously dated" 3 guys in my experience and I'm 29.

i know we throw up all sorts of red flags when men are of a certain age and haven't been serious or whatever but i think that due to an individuals circumstances, it doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

sometimes i wish i hadn't had these experiences or at least less of them. i wish i had been more focused at a younger age on what was important. but that's just my personal opinion. i don't like the idea of feeling like i've wasted all this time with the "wrong" guy... only to break up and not have anything to do with them later. after i go through a break up, it's like the man never existed in my life. kinda like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

This relationship is the first one I've had that lasted more than a year.

My first one (in college) lasted a year. Well, we had a very weird "talking" period that went on for eight months, but the official declared relationship part was a year.

My last relationship before meeting FH lasted just six months.

This has already been said, but honestly, I don't think a woman should have that many multi-year relationships and still be single at the end of all of them. (I'm obviously assuming that she wants to be married one day.)

I would have been fine with one past relationship in my life going for no more than three years (like, a college or early 20s relationship). Anything more than that would have been a waste of time.

I am not one to believe that there is something to be gained from every relationship. Some can truly be a waste of your time.

(Ooh, the last boyfriend got really pissed off when I used the phrase "waste of time" in the same sentence as "relationships." :lol:)

Okay...I'm not trying to poo poo relationships, but I'm not sure what there is to be confident in if I have multiple 1-2 or 2-3 year relationships. In the grand scheme of things, a year and a half is a very small length of time. A friendship that only lasted that long wouldn't be used as evidence of one's ability to make solid friendships. And a year and a half-long marriage would be laughable. Basically, no where else do we honor temporary relationships that were "supposed" to reflect love for and commitment to the other person.

In our society that's the way we do things and I would be curious as to why the man had such a sparse dating record. But if he told me that he had multiple serious relationships and still didn't end up proposing to or marrying his gfs, I'd be more concerned about that and what it sgnals for our relationship. Only because it would seem to indicate that he's comfortable with pseudo commitment without pressing for the real thing.

Last edited:
Okay...I'm not trying to poo poo relationships, but I'm not sure what there is to be confident in if I have multiple 1-2 or 2-3 year relationships. In the grand scheme of things, a year and a half is a very small length of time. A friendship that only lasted that long wouldn't be used as evidence of one's ability to make solid friendships. And a year and a half-long marriage would be laughable. Basically, no where else do we honor temporary relationships that were "supposed" to reflect love for and commitment to the other person.

:yep:

I have a friend who was in about four (maybe three, I can't remember) between the ages of 16 and 26. She would date a man briefly, he'd then be her boyfriend, they'd be together for at least two years, he'd act crazy, she'd leave, she'd then find another man three months later and repeat the cycle.

After the last such relationship ended in a dramatic fashion, she took a step back and decided to remain single for a while. None of these men have anything to do with her life now... they were obviously important to her at those times in her life, but the way she's living now, it's like they never existed.

Now, I honestly wondered what was really gained from that 10-year period with four boyfriends, none of whom she speaks to today. Did it "prove" anything about her ability to be in a happy and healthy relationship, or is it more likely that her relationships were the result of an inability to be happy alone and a reluctance to cut the cord much earlier than she did?

In our society that's the way we do things and I would be curious as to why the man had such a sparse dating record. But if he told me that he had multiple serious relationships and still didn't end up proposing or marrying their gfs, I'd be more concerned about that and what that sgnals for our relationship. Only because it would seem to indicate that he's comfortable with pseudo commitment without pressing for the real thing.

At first, I was surprised that FH didn't have multiple long-term relationships to his name, especially as a man in his late 30s. But as I thought about it, I was actually glad... he had one that lasted for about a year, and then when it ended, he admitted that he put more priority on work than on dating... and that's why he didn't have any other long relationships.

But, if he was going to get into a relationship that he saw with long-term potential, he would be seeing her as a future WIFE as well.

My previous boyfriend, however, mentioned that he dated a woman for three years and they broke up (this was in his early 30s). I asked if marriage was considered and he said yes in a kind of mealy-mouthed way. This was a red flag to me, because I wondered why he would spend this much time with this woman with no real sense of intention.

When we were breaking up (after six months), he said he was talking to an "advisor" who said to him that a relationship shouldn't be considered a failure if it doesn't end in marriage, and that one should just value and honor the time spent together, and the growth that resulted.

I smiled and said, "Well, that's a nice sentiment, but let's just say that if I reach age 38 -- like you -- and have had multiple relationships, but have little but "nice memories" to show for it, then yes, THAT'S a failure on my part and not how I want to live my life. I make no apologizes for entering a relationship with the idea that this person is someone I could see myself marrying, and it is a waste of time to be in relationships in which that isn't the case."

Ooh, burn... he took that really personally and was NOT happy. :p

By the way, we don't speak at all today. I don't even know if this man is alive. (He is, but I'm saying that figuratively.)

:yep:

I smiled and said, "Well, that's a nice sentiment, but let's just say that if I reach age 38 -- like you -- and have had multiple relationships, but have little but "nice memories" to show for it, then yes, THAT'S a failure on my part and not how I want to live my life. I make no apologizes for entering a relationship with the idea that this person is someone I could see myself marrying, and it is a waste of time to be in relationships in which that isn't the case."

Ooh, burn... he took that really personally and was NOT happy. :p

By the way, we don't speak at all today. I don't even know if this man is alive. (He is, but I'm saying that figuratively.)
:lachen::lachen: I am loving that!

:lachen::lachen: I am loving that!

I know, right? :lol:

Now, I can slightly understand the sentiment of that statement. Say if you had a boyfriend in college and you were 19, and you break up at 22. It's not a failure that the relationship didn't end up in marriage -- people grow and change, and especially at that age, you can be a totally different person within three years. That type of relationship can be chalked up as a good learning experience.

However, if you're advising a 30-something or even someone in their late-20s with talk about, "Oh, the destination doesn't matter, it's all about the journey," or "It's not a bad thing if this doesn't end in marriage," then I'm going to give you the side eye.

(Again, this only applies to those who want to marry.)

I'm very pragmatic and practical. Yes, relationships and love are beautiful things, but I'm not so pie-in-the-sky about them that I think it's okay to just spend years "loving" people with no clear cut goal as to why I'm in that relationship.

Oh well, that just showed how poorly fit I was with that man! :) Glad it was only six months!

I have never had a "REAL" relationship last longer than a year. I used to think something was wrong with me, but now I'm thankful because I didn't waste too much time on those guys. God showed me the red flags, in the first three months of those relationships giving me the freedom to leave!!!!

I'm am 25 BTW

Hubby was the first where the relationship lasted more than a year and even getting used to that was a trip a first. I had just turned 26 when I met him.

This has already been said, but honestly, I don't think a woman should have that many multi-year relationships and still be single at the end of all of them. (I'm obviously assuming that she wants to be married one day.)

I would have been fine with one past relationship in my life going for no more than three years (like, a college or early 20s relationship). Anything more than that would have been a waste of time.

I am not one to believe that there is something to be gained from every relationship. Some can truly be a waste of your time.

(Ooh, the last boyfriend got really pissed off when I used the phrase "waste of time" in the same sentence as "relationships." :lol:)

In our society that's the way we do things and I would be curious as to why the man had such a sparse dating record. But if he told me that he had multiple serious relationships and still didn't end up proposing to or marrying his gfs, I'd be more concerned about that and what it sgnals for our relationship. Only because it would seem to indicate that he's comfortable with pseudo commitment without pressing for the real thing.

I have never had a "REAL" relationship last longer than a year. I used to think something was wrong with me, but now I'm thankful because I didn't waste too much time on those guys. God showed me the red flags, in the first three months of those relationships giving me the freedom to leave!!!!

I'm am 25 BTW

I wish I hadn't. Less time would have been wasted with the wrong men. I don't see anything wrong with being over 25 and being in a relationship for less than a year, when the relationship was going nowhere anyway.

sometimes i wish i hadn't had these experiences or at least less of them. i wish i had been more focused at a younger age on what was important. but that's just my personal opinion. i don't like the idea of feeling like i've wasted all this time with the "wrong" guy... only to break up and not have anything to do with them later. after i go through a break up, it's like the man never existed in my life. kinda like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

Several people have used the words: waste time. I can understand how one can see it as wasted time if she had regrets coming out of the relationship (You dated poor-quality men: abusive, emotionally draining, player, slob, commitment-o-phobe etc. You came out with a child and would have rather waited, etc). But I believe that a woman can date a guy for 1-3 years and it can end for various reasons (not leading to marriage) but she wasn't wasting her time and came out the better for it.

I don't think it's wasting your time to have been in a few relationships of a couple years by the time you're 30, any more than it's wasting your time to have been single the whole time. Both a woman who has always been single and a woman who has been in 3 relationships are single at the end of the day.

Maybe I just don't feel like it's wasting time because I don't see terminal year+ relationships as being with the "wrong" man. I see those ended relationships as being right at the time (as long you didn't suffer personal, irreversible damage). Situations and people change, and life goes on. Those moments in relationship aren't necessarily wasted. They can be accepted for what they were, learned from, and used to be a better woman.

Last edited:
Several people have used the words: waste time. I can understand how one can see it as wasted time if she had regrets coming out of the relationship (You dated poor-quality men: abusive, emotionally draining, player, slob, commitment-o-phobe etc. You came out with a child and would have rather waited, etc). But I believe that a woman can date a guy for 1-3 years and it can end for various reasons (not leading to marriage) but she wasn't wasting her time and came out the better for it.

I don't think it's wasting your time to have been in a few relationships of a couple years by the time you're 30, any more than it's wasting your time to have been single the whole time. Both a woman who has always been single and a woman who has been in 3 relationships are single at the end of the day.

Maybe I just don't feel like it's wasting time because I don't see terminal year+ relationships as being with the "wrong" man. I see those ended relationships as being right at the time (as long you didn't suffer personal, irreversible damage). Situations and people change, and life goes on. Those moments in relationship aren't necessarily wasted. They can be accepted for what they were, learned from, and used to be a better woman.

I think a lot depends on the person and their mindset. I agree that all ended relationships don't mean that the time spent in them was a waste... but also, it seems that when I think of friends who were some of these multi-year relationships that didn't end in marriage, they usually have the regrets that you mentioned above.

I rarely meet women who will say, "You know, it was a good relationship, but we just grew up and went in different directions," or "It was a good relationship, but he wanted kids and I didn't, so that's why it ended." Those are the types of relationships in one can say that it was a worthwhile experience that led to a lot of growth, but it just wasn't "the one."

Instead, a lot of women are suffering personal and irreversible damage from these semi-lengthy relationships and collecting unnecessary baggage. That's why I do think a lot of these relationships are a waste of time -- that's time you could have spent becoming a better you and even possibly meeting and developing a relationship with the right guy.

That being said, I also think that one can waste time being single as well... :look: That's a different thread!

I think a lot depends on the person and their mindset. I agree that all ended relationships don't mean that the time spent in them was a waste... but also, it seems that when I think of friends who were some of these multi-year relationships that didn't end in marriage, they usually have the regrets that you mentioned above.

I rarely meet women who will say, "You know, it was a good relationship, but we just grew up and went in different directions," or "It was a good relationship, but he wanted kids and I didn't, so that's why it ended." Those are the types of relationships in one can say that it was a worthwhile experience that led to a lot of growth, but it just wasn't "the one."

Instead, a lot of women are suffering personal and irreversible damage from these semi-lengthy relationships and collecting unnecessary baggage. That's why I do think a lot of these relationships are a waste of time -- that's time you could have spent becoming a better you and even possibly meeting and developing a relationship with the right guy.

That being said, I also think that one can waste time being single as well... :look: That's a different thread!

Thank you for responding. I love your style of writing Bunny77 - always very clear, tactful and concise. I know a bit about the bolded :grin:.

@ OP: I'm not over 25 so I didn't respond in the poll. A lot of my friends are in this category (single at 25+ and not been in relationships). For one or two of them there is evidence as to why they have been single (need "warning flags - but people in relationships need these too!), but most just haven't had the experience yet for various reasons.

Last edited:

You're in your early 20s, right? Some of us don't have the time that you do. When you get to 30 and have only considered a handful of guys who did not pan out, that's a waste of time.

Slim pickin's out here and I'm not willing to settle. You wouldn't believe some of the things men think are appealing. I had a dude tell me that you have to play SOME games to make the relationship interesting. :huh: So you're a drama queen? PASS!!!
My last LTR was over 5 years ago.

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

Last edited:
My first relationship was at 17 and it lasted 4 years. My last relationship before my fh was 10 yrs.

Times are very different now. I see how things are changing. Seems like everybody wants everybody and goes for it. So as soon as their is an issue in relationships, bouncing seems like the common thing to do. Nobody hangs in there anymore. I dunno.

nicola.kirwan Why do the results surprise you?

I've personally always thought that it was a lot more common than people thought for people in their late 20s even to have never been in a "serious" relationship (more than a year). But I figured that was still the minority. I know these polls aren't scientific, but over half was just more than I expected.

Back