who else is 4a with ITTY BITTY coils???

poookie

i know 4a coils range from pencil-sized to coffee stirrers... but how many of y'all are like me, and have itty bitty baby coils? like this:

(see attached pictures)

i'm almost 6 weeks post, relaxed bone straight, and purposely didn't relax a portion of my hair so i could get a feel for my natural curl pattern. i'm thinking about transitioning... but i have yet to see another 4a with coils quite like mine... feeling a bit lonely :look:

Attachments

• DSCF6763.jpg
    DSCF6763.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 297
  • yss.jpg
    yss.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF6772.jpg
    DSCF6772.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 268
I have lil spirals but I don't know if they are that small I was 8 weeks post and I texlaxed today which was my first time and the rest of my hair is bone straight. I realized I am not ready to deal with that again my natural hair pattern has curls that are very tight and coarse very thick natural hair , its scary.

I'm on my blackberry I will try to remember to post a pic tomorrow if I forget just pm me if ur intrested:)

Last edited:
wow i wasnt expecting them to be so tiny. its so cute! i think i have a few that size along my hairline but most of mine are bigger than that. im sure you have bigger curls too in different parts of your head.

I have some that small too but mostly this size:

|
|
v
V

Attachments

• 4a curl.jpg
    4a curl.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 180
I have little coils like that in the back of my head, especially around the nape. But also interspersed in there are s curls and spirals. So I'm just saying that may not be all the types of coils/curls you have.

I have those tiny ones too but only at the back the rest of my hair is 4z with no curls at all.

Those are like mine and I am 4B. *shrug*

4bcoils-vi.jpg

The reason most of you don't have them that small is coz you are 4A. 4A spirals are bigger and respond well to WNGs.

Last edited:
i know 4a coils range from pencil-sized to coffee stirrers... but how many of y'all are like me, and have itty bitty baby coils? like this:

(see attached pictures)

i'm almost 6 weeks post, relaxed bone straight, and purposely didn't relax a portion of my hair so i could get a feel for my natural curl pattern. i'm thinking about transitioning... but i have yet to see another 4a with coils quite like mine... feeling a bit lonely :look:

That's exactly what my curls look like. Pen spring/coffee stirrer sized curls. I couldn't find a good pic tho

I have the exact same size of coils, the weird thing is, I dont know if i have always had them and never notice because i have started taking care of my hair, by the way I LOVE your hair color what is it? bless.

I'm confused now. I've read that 4b had no pattern whatsoever and where more like cNapp's.

That's what Andre or someone else says but I beg to disagree. 4B hair has a pattern but the coils are so small that they are not easily seen. Plus 4B hair due to its tiny coils tangles easily so the MO is to keep it braided or to manipulate it in ways that make it appear not to have a pattern, just to keep the coils from tangling up. But if you were to wash it and condition it...and you may have to do it a few time and then just let it be, you'd see the tiny coils. I would not advice to do it over the whole head coz you'll have a mess of tangles that you will not want to deal with.

My hair cannot be called 4A. Most times it looks like it has no pattern.
IMG00296-vi.jpg

Outofbraidsdryhair-vi.jpg
Versatile4B-vi.jpg

But that's usually because it's just been out of braids. That manipulation pulls it straight and then the bending this way and that way act of braiding further makes the texture appear different. BTW, that's hair with no product at all.

This is also 4B hair w/o product that was baggied without being braided after being worn out. I thought I could finger comb when it was damp from the baggy but it got to be too much to handle:
Hairinneedofdetangle-vi.jpg

So I put on conditioner and finger combed with it (a tip from Dsylla) and this was the result.

First with conditioner on:
tanglingwithOrganixVanillaSilk-vi.jpg

And then after detangling and rinsing off conditioner, my fully detangled hair:
anddetangledhairbelieveitornot-vi.jpg

So I have my own typing system that defies the rule that there is anyone born with hair that doesn't have a pattern. And I'd be willing to challenge Andre on that. I think a better definition for 4B hair would be "hair that APPEARS not to have any pattern but actually does when viewed closely".

Last edited:
So I have my own typing system that defies the rule that there is anyone born with hair that doesn't have a pattern. And I'd be willing to challenge Andre on that. I think a better definition for 4B hair would be "hair that APPEARS not to have any pattern but actually does when viewed closely".

Thanks! This is the primary reason I disagree with his typing system. According to him I'd be 4A, but there are 4As that are different than my head of hair and my head of hair isn't the same all over... it's looser waves in some places and obvious pencil sized curlies in others... But I've seen lots of 4Bs with tiny coils like yours. :yep:

I bet I have some of those :yep: I've never seen them soooo tiny. It's cute!

I still think it's 4a. Diameter isn't what separates the type 4's, it's the clumping factor (imo).

Pookie's hair, makes little defined pen springs.

Nonie's hair isn't as defined, you can see all the coils in it, but they don't clump together and make defined springs.

Last edited:
I bet I have some of those :yep: I've never seen them soooo tiny. It's cute!

I still think it's 4a. Diameter isn't what separates the type 4's, it's the clumping factor (imo).

Pookie's hair, makes little defined pen springs.

Nonie's hair isn't as defined, you can see all the coils in it, but they don't clump together and make defined springs.

What is clumping? The strands you see in the last pics I posted are not single strands but each "spring/coil" is made up of a few strands stuck together to form defined springs. I also did a very magnified pic of the same. The difference IMO between 4A and 4B is the size. 4B does clump but it's so hard to see this unless you magnify because the coils that make up the clumps are so small so they just look like straight locks from afar.

This is the magnified image of my strands.
4BDefinedCoilsWashnGo-vi.jpg

IMO, they are clumping. Each coil is made of at least 6-10 or even more very fine strands clumping together to form a uniform coils. And they can do this because they all have the same pattern.

4A coils are much bigger so that they spoon each other easily and the clumps can be seen clearly. Type 3 even seems to clump even more...again because of the ease with which the strands can "spoon" because of their large open sized coils/curls. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it. :p

This just goes to show how MANY types of hair there are. I still maintain that there are way more categories not yet explained. There are as many mixtures of hair as there are mixtures of people! I tend to follow strand thickness (diameter) first, texture second, & chemical factor (processed or not processed) third when determining whether my hair will react to a product like someone else's.

What is clumping? The strands you see in the last pics I posted are not single strands but each "spring/coil" is made up of a few strands stuck together to form defined springs. I also did a very magnified pic of the same. The difference IMO between 4A and 4B is the size. 4B does clump but it's so hard to see this unless you magnify because the coils that make up the clumps are so small so they just look like straight locks from afar.

IMO, they are clumping. Each coil is made of at least 6-10 or even more very fine strands clumping together to form a uniform coils. And they can do this because they all have the same pattern.

4A coils are much bigger so that they spoon each other easily and the clumps can be seen clearly. Type 3 even seems to clump even more...again because of the ease with which the strands can "spoon" because of their large open sized coils/curls. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it. :p

:lachen::lachen: I love that ! Now I am going to have to add the "spoon" factor! Maybe we can add categories like "3c - spoon level 3"

Isn't your hair in mini twists in this pic? That would help it to clump better.

4a coils can be bigger than 4b coils, but they usually aren't. Which is why type 4's are stuck together... the coil size is very tiny for both. They both don't fit into a type 3 category and they both tend to be around the same size when you look at the diameter of the coils.

Of course there is SOME clumping in 4b due to the curly nature, but like you said, it's hard to see. You can plainly see it in pookie's hair without magnifying it too much, with your hair, it's not easy to see. The coils don't uniformly clump up.

wow....those ARE tiny! I think mine are a tiny bit larger, and i mean a tiny bit....but those are gorgeous mama!

Looks similar to my hair
I consider myself 4b because unlesss you are examinging my hair, you won't see and coil definition. It just looks like nappy, not curly hair.

And most of the time, the advice that works best for me comes from others who identify themselves as 4b as well.

OP, I am your hair twin!!!

When my natural hair was SL, it would shrink to one inch long when I washed it!!

Very fine, tight 4A coils.

Must be something in the water over here!

I GET THOSE TINY COILS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY HAIR.. THATS PROBABLY WHY THATS THE SHORTEST AREA.. THEY CUTE TO YOU GUYS.. BUT NOT ON THE BACK OF MY NECK..LMAOOO

Back