"White Girl" Movement

Ishtar

Yall don't crucify my friend here. I searched high and low for the technique that creates straight, shiny hair that moves and bounces. This is one of two people I have been able to find. She uses a watery heat protector and there's a few other things she uses. Both ladies are natural. I put her up first because she does a demonstration at the end. Be aware that her hair isn't in good shape but her technique is similar to the woman in the 2nd video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJQiMOfiD0

Okay,this lady here is also natural. I'm not sure whether she has a looser hair texture or whether her frequent straightening is changing her curl pattern.Anyway she uses a combo or serum. Her hair is in healthier shape though with the end results you can't tell. At the end you can see her hair swinging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQZfx1ExFE

As you can see there

Thanks for posting! I'm actually glad to see that Superhotchocolate still has those relaxed ends hanging on. I thought it was heat damage at first but I see its not. Guess that's how my hair will be looking in about a year lol

SalonCabelo is natural and she has a great tutorial series on hair straightening and other styles
[video=youtube;7G0xJo1hv1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0xJo1hv1c&feature=related[/video]

How much movement you have in the end has a lot to do with the weight of each individual strand. The best way to load it up and make each strand as heavy as possible is to make sure your hair is as moisturized as possible. A great DC left in over night with a cap before washing and prepping in the morning might give you really great swangin results. Of course after that, your focus is minimal product and great flat iron technique.

I remember reading that dominican salons deep condition before clarifying the hair and then use minimal product to style; usually just a leave in and a touch of serum before roller setting and whatnot. I think roller setting might be a great way to get your hair straight before flat iron and still maintain all that yummy moisture that will give you the most movement in the end.

Another way to add weight to your strands is henna.

Last edited:
y do people call it white girl flow?? a lot of white girls hair i see is stringy or curly and looks fried by them straightening it too much. can we call it the indian flow?? i like their hair MUCH better!!

y do people call it white girl flow?? a lot of white girls hair i see is stringy or curly and looks fried by them straightening it too much. can we call it the indian flow?? i like their hair MUCH better!!

Thank You L.Brown! I never understood why some folks associate straight flowy hair with people of European decent..ITA people of Indian decent..whether its East Indian or Native American have the most enviable hair.Indian flow gets a thumbs up from me!:yep:

Can't we just call it swang, lol? I saw that the other day on Tyra, and the girl said she had good hair because it had the "white girl flow." I almost fainted in front of my television. :(

I hate to be a wet blanket but mohaganycurls had a way better swang with ALOT less heat.... I hate what flat ironing does to the ends....*shudder*

SN: I agree with the above posts at the airport today most white ladies were sooo bleached and fried they definitely had no "flo" or "swang" just crisp!! Now the indian ladies...mmm i needed a ciggy after looking at that hair... :drool:

YouTube - Roller Set and Silk Wrap on Short Natural Hair - How To
her "swang" is killa w/ no direct heat!

Thank You L.Brown! I never understood why some folks associate straight flowy hair with people of European decent..ITA people of Indian decent..whether its East Indian or Native American have the most enviable hair.Indian flow gets a thumbs up from me!:yep:

hmmm.... I think that WE have the most enviable hair! Its so beautiful and versatile when treated right! :D

I hate to be a wet blanket but mohaganycurls had a way better swang with ALOT less heat.... I hate what flat ironing does to the ends....*shudder*

SN: I agree with the above posts at the airport today most white ladies were sooo bleached and fried they definitely had no "flo" or "swang" just crisp!! Now the indian ladies...mmm i needed a ciggy after looking at that hair... :drool:

YouTube - Roller Set and Silk Wrap on Short Natural Hair - How To
her "swang" is killa w/ no direct heat!

Her results are hawt!!! That bounce and body is in-sane :yep:

SalonCabelo is natural and she has a great tutorial series on hair straightening and other styles
[video=youtube;7G0xJo1hv1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0xJo1hv1c&feature=related[/video]

OH wow we can embed vids now?

Back