(whine!) is 8 weeks long enough!

tri3nity

I am 7 weeks post today. I have gone 10 weeks but with heat. I have been wearing twist outs for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed good growth and my new growth is soft keeping it moisturized, but my hair is poofy. I'm really about to give up and relax next week. Have anyone achieved their hair goals just stretching for 8 months. I am about to lose strands because I just might pull it out !!!!!

I know a few ladies here that do that with no problems.

But if you really want to hold off longer, could you rock a half wig, wig, or a sew in? Perhaps braids?

That's what I do when I'm getting antsy.

I actually depends how fast your hair grows i barely have any growth after 8 weeks at times. How much do you have?

I notice that the closer I get to the end of my stretch I tend to bun more because I hate to see the puffy look when I wear it out. As soon as I slick it down in a bun I feel like I can go another couple of weeks easily. But sometimes there's an event I need to go to and I need to relax and I just do it. As long as I'm past my minimum of 8 weeks I don't care if I make it to 10 or not since I still get a good bit of new growth during that time.

As far as you, I guess you have to weigh the extra heat you'd need to use against relaxing earlier.

If you feel you have to then go ahead. I have to relax between 8-9 weeks. I am fortunate enough to have that much new growth. I could never do 8 months unless I make the decision to go ahead and transition.

Do whats best for your hair. When I'm not taking my supplements consistently I have gone to about10-12 weeks. But when I keep up with them I get more new growth and have to cave in at about 8-10 weeks. When I get to the point when I can't comb with out breakage, I take care of it quickly.

I feel you should do what is best for your hair hun. If you get a relaxer now and it will not cause damage to your previously relaxed hair go for it....but honestly maybe you might benefit more by hiding your hair for just a little longer (braids, wigs, weaves)...Def look into stretching and make sure the line of demarcation is kept strong. :)

I have never given in and relaxed early.I mostly just clip up hair and keep it moisturized. When I want to look cute, I use these two options:
1. I do a braidout so the two textures don't look crazy together. I then take the braids down and swoop it up in a cute updo with a hairstick or clip. It's moisturized, easy, and protects hair. I get a lot of compliments- mostly from men who think I got "good hurr" LOL.
2. If I have a special occasion and want to wear my hair straighter, I flat iron (on low setting) the natural roots only to allow it to blend better with the relaxed hair, then do a dry rollerset for body. I try to really limit heat so I only do this maybe once or twice during my 14 week stretch. I also use plenty of heat protectant and do it anytime past 10 or 12 weeks to make sure I'm only hitting the unrelaxed hair. Gotta be careful about that line of demarcation. Its a hot spot for breakage.

Bunning is the truth! I'm 8 months post now (transitioning) and loving the thickness!

Agreed :yep:

When I'm this far along (currently 16 weeks), I detangle in the shower and slick it back into a bun, all under running water. Then go to sleep with a scarf on and by morning it's dry enough to go outside. I just keep it in that bun for 3-4 days.

But I'm about to bite the bullet though. Got some half wigs on the way and gotta get my edges lookin RIGHT :grin:

I have tried but I could never make it past 7 weeks. So now I don't.

What I do is base my scalp and apply a mix of Vaseline, neutralizing shampoo and a cuticle sealer to my previously relaxed ends.

hth.

I notice that the closer I get to the end of my stretch I tend to bun more because I hate to see the puffy look when I wear it out. As soon as I slick it down in a bun I feel like I can go another couple of weeks easily. But sometimes there's an event I need to go to and I need to relax and I just do it. As long as I'm past my minimum of 8 weeks I don't care if I make it to 10 or not since I still get a good bit of new growth during that time.

As far as you, I guess you have to weigh the extra heat you'd need to use against relaxing earlier.

What do you use for slicking! :)

Go ahead and relax if you need to; your hair will still grow. But I think you can tough it out a little longer. Get you some Ecostyler gel and slick those edges down with a scarf. You can put the back in a bun, ponytail, or rollerset...you can do it!

I feel you should do what is best for your hair hun. If you get a relaxer now and it will not cause damage to your previously relaxed hair go for it....but honestly maybe you might benefit more by hiding your hair for just a little longer (braids, wigs, weaves)...Def look into stretching and make sure the line of demarcation is kept strong. :)

What is the line of demarcation? I'm gone try to make it to atleast 10 weeks. And just gradually work my way up to 12. That's gone be my max!

I hate buns so my advice would be go for the rollerset and pin it up in a nice up do when you're going out (that's my tactic), that way you don't have to feel like you have to look like plain jane to keep your hair healthy - just be careful not to rip out your hair with the hair pins.

Also some ladies mentioned on the relaxer stretch thread that full fat yoghurt/and or coconut milk with honey and an EO can help to loosen the curl patter of your NG, i just bought the ingredients today, haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a try.

Good luck, I'm 6 weeks post hoping to make it till 12

What is the line of demarcation? I'm gone try to make it to atleast 10 weeks. And just gradually work my way up to 12. That's gone be my max!

The line of demarcation is the bit between the new growth and the relaxed hair which can become very fragile, the longer you stretch, but you can strengthen it by doin protein treatments and keeping your hair moisturised.

Hey hun ... the line of demarcation is where your relaxed hair meets your new growth---you want to make sure that paticular area is strong by balancing your moisture/protein. :) 12 weeks sounds real good you just have to know what your hair will and will not take.

I'm pretty sure the 8 months is a typo. She meant 8 weeks I'm sure.

When my sister stretches she relies on curly styles and rollersets with the occasional seran wrap. Maybe there are some threads that can help you out in that department. Good luck!

What do you use for slicking! :)

I use Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 and it slicks it down like something wonderful. Some people said it's not good in the Winter time but so far it's doing well for me. I use other moisturizers with it also though (like Silk Elements mega moisture leave-in).

Last edited:
Update. Thanks to you ladies for all of the encouragement. I think I will possibly be able to make it to 10 weeks. I did a post earlier today when I should have been working. I am 8 weeks post this week and I'm thinking with how well my hair is looking and feeling I can do it. We shall see!!!
Maybe I'll make it to 12. :rolleyes:

Back