Which Would Your Hair Tolerate Best?

Which would your hair tolerate best?

• Weekly heat and no manipulation

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No heat and daily manipulation

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

CluelessJL

(Apologies; this is my first time attempting to post a poll so I don't know if I've done it right!)

I'm just wondering what other people find their hair tolerates best: heat or manipulation.

I'm severely style challenged and 20 weeks post relaxer and currently have two options with my hair. I either put it in two/three twists or braids overnight and wear it curly the next day, but I have to re-twist/braid every night or it just ends up a fuzzy, tangled, unwearable mess. The alternative is to flat iron after washing (day after wash day for better results), which means direct heat, but then I can get away with just putting in a ponytail overnight for the rest of the week (possibly putting a flexi-rod on the ends for the last day or two). Either way I'm a bit worried about damage!

I know everyone's hair is different but I'm just interested to see whether people generally find that their hair can take heat or manipulation.

(Apologies; this is my first time attempting to post a poll so I don't know if I've done it right!)

I'm just wondering what other people find their hair tolerates best: heat or manipulation.

I'm severely style challenged and 20 weeks post relaxer and currently have two options with my hair. I either put it in two/three twists or braids overnight and wear it curly the next day, but I have to re-twist/braid every night or it just ends up a fuzzy, tangled, unwearable mess. The alternative is to flat iron after washing (day after wash day for better results), which means direct heat, but then I can get away with just putting in a ponytail overnight for the rest of the week (possibly putting a flexi-rod on the ends for the last day or two). Either way I'm a bit worried about damage!

I know everyone's hair is different but I'm just interested to see whether people generally find that their hair can take heat or manipulation.

My hair does not like heat or daily manipulation, so I plait my hair and protective style under wigs for a week.

I chose weekly heat, no manipulation but by heat I mean blow drying when I wash/condition 1 - 3 times a week. When I blow dry it's only for a few minutes because my hair is over halfway dry by the time I get to that step. I don't flat iron... I think with that kind of direct heat it would make a difference.

It depends on the level of manipulation.

For me, flat ironing/ blow drying involves manipluation as does styling without heat. In my current natural state, I haven't used heat on my hair. I manipulate it by washing regularly- finger detangling and shingling, maybe add a braid or two in the front until next wash day but no nightly twisting or braiding. My hair is good with this.

The last time I went natural (by accident), the length I gained from protective styling soon diminished when I started blow drying and flat ironing. Since then, I've gained knowledge in techniques and what ingredients my hair likes, so things may be different. As a former heat addict I would tell myself I'd only flat iron once, and I'd end up touching things up, so this time round I had to go cold turkey.

My hair can definitely tolerate weekly heat best. I learned that by simply doing it more often. When it was ear length, I used to wet it and pick it out everyday, it would break!

Well I would say weekly heat on Sundays and no manipulation all week because I wrap my hair leaving out my bangs. Then I wash / condition and wrap again onSundays... This is good for the winter months and to recover from a setback I had 3 months ago

My fine hair gets very brittle from weekly direct heat.

But detangling it everyday with proven methods actually benefits it.

I'm style challenged too btw.

I voted for weekly heat. I don't manipulate my hair much whether it's straight or kinky. My straightened hair is easier to manage, moisturize and my ends don't get knots anymore

Have you considered some type of rollerset which you can then maintain with the ponytail.

I just bought some rollers to experiment with, but either I bought the wrong thing or I'm already very sure it'll be a no go. I bought magnetic rollers with covers, which I thought I'd read on here would be good for beginners. But those covers? :nono: I'm sure my hair will break scraping those things on.

With you being relaxed I woud suggest the 1 week heat and no manipulation. This worked great for me when relaxed and through my transition sometimes & the flexi rod on the end is a great idea;)

My hair can tolerate heat, so if given a choice I would go with weekly heat and no manipulation. I hardly use direct heat now unless I really need a trim, and I like to leave my hair alone.

With you being relaxed I woud suggest the 1 week heat and no manipulation. This worked great for me when relaxed and through my transition sometimes & the flexi rod on the end is a great idea;)

I voted for weekly heat and no manipulation. I am on day 14 of a blow-out and curl. I simply pin my hair up in a loose bun at night and in the morning do a bun drop fluff and go. Every 2-3 days I oil my scalp and moisturize my ends. I've seen less breakage and shedding in the last 2 weeks.

However I am on a mini challenge to only use heat once every 4 - 6 weeks so when I wash again for the first time since 12/31 on tomorrow I will not be using heat. I will be monitoring how much shedding and breakage I have with simple braid/twist outs and wet buns. My hair likes to be left alone but I don't think (?) it likes the tangles wet bunning and wng's can cause.

Back