Which relaxer for first-time self relax?

shtow

I have been searching on here for 2 hours and I'm stuck where I started...undecided LOL

I am thinking of self relaxing and I want to use either Silk Elements Lye Shea Butter formula, Elasta QP lye, Hawaiian Silky lye, or ORS lye (all regular). Which one should I choose? Any experiences with them?

*I have an unopened tub of Elasta QP Super that I purchased and chickened out on a few months ago*

Please
6to1l0.jpg

Last edited:
I use Silk Elements Lye Shea Butter and I love it. It leaves my hair nice and silky.

Thanks. This is my first choice. I have read a lot on here about women having trouble with it reverting after a few weeks and shedding. Hopefully that won't be a problem because my hair usually "takes" very well.

Do you use the regular formula?

I've used and didn't like the elasta or ORS lye relaxers.

I use no-lye now, but a few months ago when i was thinking of switching to lye I narrowed it down to silk elements.

If you prefer no lye relaxers, Silk Elements also has a no lye version. It made my hair so strait and did not make it lifelessly flat. If I decide to continue relaxing, this relaxer would be the only one I'd use.:yep:

i've used the silk elements with no problems (i was slightly telaxed -- but thats what i was going for) . I recently switched to Mizani BB (just to give it a try)

The very last time I relaxed my hair was with Silk Elements Lye relaxer. If I ever relax my hair again, I will use it again.

I've used Hawaiian Silky Lye the last two times. It left me underprocessed and kinda dry. I'm gonna try Lineage Lye for my next relaxer.

I have been searching on here for 2 hours and I'm stuck where I started...undecided LOL

I am thinking of self relaxing and I want to use either Silk Elements Lye Shea Butter formula, Elasta QP lye, Hawaiian Silky lye, or ORS lye (all regular). Which one should I choose? Any experiences with them?

*I have an unopened tub of Elasta QP Super that I purchased and chickened out on a few months ago*

Please
6to1l0.jpg

I would choice the one I hightlighted and base my scalp very well before applying the relaxer.

Definitely Hawaiian Silky Lye ... i used mild so i can work slower and not worry too much about over processing. I loved it Im on a another stretch so I wont be relaxing for a while but when I do I will def. be using this again. The results were great!

I haven't relaxed for a while (transitioning), but the last one I used, and would use again if I decide to relax in the future, is Silk Elements Lye w/ Shea Butter. I added a little sweet almond oil to mine to slow the processing time. If you're self-relaxing for the first time, I highly recommend doing that to give yourself enough time to apply without over-processing.

I started self relaxing again last January and I used MBB Lye Mild(Fine/Color-Treated) but if I could not get the MBB I would have purchased the SE Lye Mild

I used Silk Elements w/ lye when i was texlaxing. I would douse my hair in conditioner to slow down the processing. I also added olive oil to the mix.

I too had it narrowed down to Silk Elements lye and ORS lye. I only chose ORS because I don't have to order it online (cant find SE in stores for some reason).
I will be self relaxing for the fist time i 1-2 weeks.

Elasta QP! Elasta QP! Elasta QP!

I've never tried super, IDK if you have the new formula, I haven't tried the new formula yet.

Elasta QP! Elasta QP! Elasta QP!

I've never tried super, IDK if you have the new formula, I haven't tried the new formula yet.

I think it's the old formula. But I don't think I will use it. My mother told me off and said she never used any super in my hair. I figured it was weaker then the ones from the Salon so I got the super :lachen:

I think it's the old formula. But I don't think I will use it. My mother told me off and said she never used any super in my hair. I figured it was weaker then the ones from the Salon so I got the super :lachen:

:lachen::lachen:Hopefully you can return it. What kind did your mom used to use on you?

:lachen::lachen:Hopefully you can return it. What kind did your mom used to use on you?

She used the dark and lovely box perms. When I was about 13 we all started going to the salons and that was when I was introduced to the wonderful world of lye lol

what did you end up using?

nothing yet. My last relaxer was early november. My NG has been cooperating with me very well and it doesn't even look like I need one yet. I'm going to either transition again (yea right) or wait a few more weeks. I will def update on what I use.

I use Hawaiian Silky no base lye and absolutely love it. It's cheap and not mentioned often on the hair boards but it gives me the results I want. I add about a tablespoon on EVOO to it and my hair comes out silky and soft.

Back