Which one of these NY stylists is good?

abainaa

OK I know this is better on the other board but this one has all the traffic!
wink.gif
I'm lookjing for a good place to get a relaxer.

I made some calls and found out the following information:

1. Unique Design International 171 East 92nd Street 212-987-8215
Relaxer- Type & Price- Affirm/$90/Includes deep condition and trim and style

2. Michele Hair Cutters Inc 100 West 40, New York, NY 10018 (212) 302-8100 (Donnette)
Affirm/Mizani/Optimum/$76/Includes deep condition and style

3. Touch of Class (Yohanny) - between 106th and 107th Street - Columbus Avenue
$35 and up/ $5-$7 extra for conditioner/ Affirm/ Mizani/a ton of others

4. B and N Condition on 120 street in Manhattan between 2 and 3 ave ???

5. Rosalia's in Harlem (2nd Ave btwn 125 & 124 Streets (Dominican)
$50 for relaxers/everything included

6. Salon Santa Cruz/ $75/deep conditioner $25/ specializes in curly/afrotextured hair/ ww.salonsantacruz.com

7. Karen's beauty palace- 301 East 108th Street- $40- Affirm/ protien $10/ (212) 996-3786

8. Tillie's International salon- (718) 933-8072 2427 Webster Ave. Bronx, NY 10458 ???

9. Camelle Beauty Salon 328 E 53rd St, New York, NY 10022 (212) 758-1190 ???

Any suggestions anyone? I really don't want to spend a lot of money but I also don't want to leave bald.

I go to B and N Condition... both my daughter and I as well as another member here. She's been going there for about 10 years. However, I sent Foxybronx there and she had a problem. That's why I don't like to recommend people anymore.

I heard Unique was good but have yet to try...wow...$90. I guess I've been spoiled with the $40-$50 dollar deals
laugh.gif

I have been to Yohanny and Rosalia...for a relaxer, personally I would pass on both. I like them for simple wash and sets but they get too carried away with that blowout.

I go to a simple stylist in BK and she does NOT overprocess and is not sissor happy (I am just the the new sissor happy customer
smile.gif
Her prices are reasonable and she is fair and LISTENS! to your needs and wants.

On Yohanny's block you are missing The Underground (Mari) and Mirror Image (unless you don't want to go to them altogether).

EDITED TO ADD:

Matter fact, the more I look at the info you recieved from Yohanny and Rosalia...I would say HECK NO!!

How are they charging EXTRA for a conditioner with a relaxer!! I know they charged extra for the "special conditioner" (hence I brought a bottle from them for a one time price) and as for Rosalia, my mom goes there (trying to change that!) and she got a relaxer and the woman gave her a "steam" treatment (which she didn't ask for) and charged her 65! SO NO...she is not all inclusive!!

These places (some) tell u anything over the phone and switch it up real fast once you get there and are at the register. Hopefully you will get some great word of mouth reviews and you can judge from that.

Where are you currently going and why would you like to change?

Oh and one more place you might want to look into (not a "fancy" place but its crowded all the time is Rosalina's on 149th and Amsterdam....wow actually there are countless others...I am sure you will find something that suits you.

I go to Rosalina's but I do not go there for my relaxers. That is a no no for me. Rosalina's is usually jam packed and it is an assembly line type environment that I don't like. I don't think they give individualized attention and rush through everything because there are so many people in there. I just go for a simple wash and set there. I get my relaxers done at Lindys she's on the Eastside 110th and 2nd Ave. She has all the relaxers too. Even Affirm. But I use Creme of Nature. And I only let Lindy relax my hair. Oh yeah and Lindy's relaxer is $40.

Edited to say: The address for Rosalinas that you have, maybe that is a different one than I am talking about because the Rosalina's I was talking about is on 149th and Amsterdam.

I pass by Michelle salon every day and EVERY client in there has long hair. (BIG rollers under the dryer.
I t is a really small salon though. You even see the Garmento Jewish girls in there getting their hair done.

i've been going to michelle's for about 4 years sporatically. my hair always comes out of there looking great! I've recommended them to a few women on this board and no one has pm'd me about having a bad experience. even some caucasian women go in there.they're very good and women of all lengths look nice.

I have heard a lot about michelle's from this board. Has anyone had a touchup done by them? God bless you all.

I've been thinking about going to michele's too. I want a good haircut or a very thorough trim. I if no one can trim my hair to my standards, I might as well cut the layers off, and I need a good place to do that.

Last edited:
Back