• Jamaican Black Castor oil

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Boundless Tresses

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other- please post the beneficial oil of your choice

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters

IMFOCSD

I plan on purchasing a good hair oil today and I need the help of my LHCF sistas. I have read so many good things about amla, jamaican black castor oil, and boundless tresses. I rarely read anything about JMC or BT any more, are there any ladies that still use these? I am refering to oils that can penetrate the strand and are beneficial to the health of our hair.

thanks
sweetcoco

Last edited:
(unrefined) COCONUT OIL!!! it is THE best oil i've ever used on my hair so far.

and i read somewhere that olive oil has smaller molecules, so it's one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair. i use it in my oil rinses sometimes.

those are the only 2 i put on my hair. i guess that didn't answer your question or your poll, lol

(unrefined) COCONUT OIL!!! it is THE best oil i've ever used on my hair so far.

and i read somewhere that olive oil has smaller molecules, so it's one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair. i use it in my oil rinses sometimes.

those are the only 2 i put on my hair. i guess that didn't answer your question or your poll, lol

Hi,

Thanks so much for responding. I have some unrefined coconut oil and EVOO at home but I did not know they were beneficial to the hair. I am going to mix the two of them together and do a hot oil treatment. I still want to try one or two of the oils listed above.

BT is not an oil you should be putting directly on your strands. The sulfur content will dry your hair out.

Personally, I like evoo, avocado & sweet almond oil. JBCO was too thick and sticky for me & I've never tried amla. Oils are def a personal thing, what works for one person may not work for another.

I have natural 4a and I love to use coconut oil mixed with almond oil. Leaves my hair really soft. I apply while hair is wet

I have 3 main oils I use:

amla: for conditioning and darkening (pre-poo)
coconut: sealing (new love)
JBCO: conditioning, airdrying, sealing (love this)

It's hard to pick just one...

ETA: I just voted JBCO in the poll, as it has a special place in my heart.

Castor oil! (regular one) I have pretty much cut out alll oils this does e'rything! I use a bit to seal on wet hair or when cornrowing (with mango butter), and in my DC the other one I'm using is amla but strictly for DCs the smell is just too much to leave in my hair.

I LOVE vatika as well but i've run out and I'm trying to make sure I don't smell like a fragrance factory with all my different products...

BT is not an oil you should be putting directly on your strands. The sulfur content will dry your hair out.

Personally, I like evoo, avocado & sweet almond oil. JBCO was too thick and sticky for me & I've never tried amla. Oils are def a personal thing, what works for one person may not work for another.

Thanks silverlotus, I did not know this piece of information. So, JBCO is super thick hugh? You are right about oils being a personal thing but I'm just trying to find out another oil that I may like that is beneficial to the hair. I finally tried unrefined coconut oil and EVOO and I like them.:yawn:

I have 3 main oils I use:

amla: for conditioning and darkening (pre-poo)
coconut: sealing (new love)
JBCO: conditioning, airdrying, sealing (love this)

It's hard to pick just one...

ETA: I just voted JBCO in the poll, as it has a special place in my heart.

Thanks Priestess, the main two that I want to try are amla & JBCO so I am glad that you posted this.

Hi,

Thanks so much for responding. I have some unrefined coconut oil and EVOO at home but I did not know they were beneficial to the hair. I am going to mix the two of them together and do a hot oil treatment. I still want to try one or two of the oils listed above.

ooh, update us on how that turns out! i never thought of mixing the two together.

thanks for posting ladies and pookie I will def let you not how the hot oil combo treatment goes....

I had issues with my edges and saw where someone posted about using Castor Oil to thicken your edges so I used that and mixed it with EVOO and Essential Peppermint and Rosemary Oils and my edges are filled in and thick again(in only 3 weeks) - I've never had thin edges in my life and they were totally eaten out. So I love these oils.

Amla is my favorite oil for my "pre-poo oil soak", which I do before each co-wash. I mix a little Rosemary essential oil with it, pour about 6 capfuls onto my scalp and massage for about 20 minutes, then plastic wrap my head, scarf and go to bed. The next day, I put on the pre-poo conditioner, under the dryer for 30 minutes and then co-wash. Since I've been doing this, my shedding had quit, I don't have any tangles after washing, and my hair feels great!

I love castor oil for sealing my ends after my leave-ins or when I'm air-drying, coconut oil on to seal my hair after leave-ins and moisturizers, Vatika oil to mix with MN......ahhh! So many oils, so little hair! :lachen::lachen:

I like soy oil and olive oils for pre poo and to mix with deep treatments.

I recently started using coconut oil too and my hair likes it.

I never tried alma oil.

I had an allergic reaction to castor oil in the past. I don't go near anything with a large amount of castor oil in it.

I use camellia oil and castor oil and order both from oilsbynature.com. They have great prices and excellent quality.

Castor oil I use on my ends when I put my hair up and it's great for smoothing the nape. It's really rather cool to put it on at night and awaken to super soft and moisturized hair.

Camellia oil is wonderful. It's very light so hair does not loose the swing and bounce.

I have three different bottles - all scented with lavender essemtial oil - one plain castor oil, one plain camellia, and one a blend of both. It's good stuff.

BT is really good, but the sulfur smell... that became a problem after a while. DH kind of lost his patience with sleeping with the smell. But it works well.

Back