Which henna brands do you use??

MsLauren

.....and how do you use it??

My mom is all natural and uses henna weekly and told me I should start because it'll do wonders for my hair. But there's so many out there and I don't know which brand to use. :ohwell:

FYI: I am transitioning so I do still have some relaxed ends in my hair. My mom said I need to find an all natural henna because certain henna products don't mixed with relaxed hair.

Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

BAQ henna from Sheabutter Cottage (UK company), any 100% Lawsonia Inermis found in Pakistani stores or De Tuinen (Dutch healthfood store). Still have to figure out which one is best for me. But the number one thing to do is first do research on relaxed heads which have used henna before and also buy henna that is BAQ or body art quality which tends to be 100% lawsonia inermis (unless it is mixed with other herbs such as the Nupur brand).

I tend to mix it with water and some oils (to combat henna's drying effects). I leave it overnight, then apply to hair in sections and then leave on for like three hours and wash out. I follow up with a cowash or a moisturising DC.

I want to try a henna gloss though, I think that requires mixing henna with some form of conditioner etc.

My hair is all natural.
I use BAQ henna or BAQ henna blends weekly. I purchase henna at Indian grocers, halalal stores or Indian bridal shops.

Brands that I have used:
BAQ henna: Afshan, Dulhan, Elvira, Jamilla, Mumtaaz, Naajo, Reshna
BAQ henna with ayurvedic herbs: Ayur, Kashmiri, Shweta mawari, VP Chawla

I suggest you try the Nupur brand. It's found at most Indian stores and it's maybe 2-3 bucks for 150g. It has a blend of a whole bunch of other beneficial ayurvedic powders and it's sifted really well. There are also well known brands like Jamila, Reshma, Hesh mehandi, etc. that you can use also that are found on the ground in most areas. Always make sure you find a brand that says "body art quality" or BAQ.

For your mix, I would just try henna and boiling water and mix until it's a thick paste. See how your hair reacts to it. You'll probably notice a strength to it like a protein treatment but it'll be dry. Make sure to deep condition after rinsing it out! After that, you can try adding oils, honey, conditioner and a load of other things.

Here are a couple of threads that might help you:
Do y'all henna?
Relaxed and using henna
A New Henna Thread

Last edited:
i have naturally black hair and im kind of scared of the "red hair" effects i been hearing about. has any relaxed members out there tried the indigo ones?? is it still body art quality even though it's going to give me the black color??

^^ I'm actually getting ready to do indigo right now. I'm natural but my understanding has always been that with the indigo, to get the blue/black effect you have to do it after the henna. So it's a two step process. But if you want more of a brown tone rather than the red/copper then you can mix them together.

i have naturally black hair and im kind of scared of the "red hair" effects i been hearing about. has any relaxed members out there tried the indigo ones?? is it still body art quality even though it's going to give me the black color??

You have to do a 2 Step Process with Indigo following the Henna.

Back