WHICH HAIR STRAIGHTENING TECHNIQUE IS BETTER???

Which process is the least damaging?

• Lye Relaxer every 6-8 weeks

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No-Lye relaxer every 6-8 weeks

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Blow Dry/Flat Irion every 1-2 weeks (w/ heat protectant)

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

My hair seems like it has been drier and frizzier than EVER recently. I usually get a no-Lye relaxer about every 6 weeks or so, but I have been stretching since January :spinning: and my hair is going craxy! I don't want to go back to no -Lye relaxers since it makes my hair feel really dry, but I'm not sure if I should transition to a lye relaxer, as I am concerned about the effects it might have on my scalp. I would like to start diy-ing and just straighten my hair, but I'm not sure what the least damaging blowdryer and flat iron is, and I don't know how often I could get away with straightening my hair without it getting damaged. In short, I would like to figure out the best way to straighten my hair with the least amount of damage. ANY help would be sooo greatly appreciated! Thanks! :drunk:

If I was natural my hair would be a big frizzy thing to deal with.

For me: I say texlax at at least 1 inch of new growth...

Deep condition as often as possible with moisture and protein balance...

Air dry in a wrap/4 braids/or hanging down and flat iron with heat protection.

Roll up at night, regular wrap/cross wrap, pin-curl, bun to maintain.:yep:

My hair seems like it has been drier and frizzier than EVER recently. I usually get a no-Lye relaxer about every 6 weeks or so, but I have been stretching since January :spinning: and my hair is going craxy! I don't want to go back to no -Lye relaxers since it makes my hair feel really dry, but I'm not sure if I should transition to a lye relaxer, as I am concerned about the effects it might have on my scalp. I would like to start diy-ing and just straighten my hair, but I'm not sure what the least damaging blowdryer and flat iron is, and I don't know how often I could get away with straightening my hair without it getting damaged. In short, I would like to figure out the best way to straighten my hair with the least amount of damage. ANY help would be sooo greatly appreciated! Thanks! :drunk:

I think first you should deep condition the mess out of your hair, like every other day or every couple days and get your hair in shape first because you said it's dry.

Then once your hair is holding on to water as if it's life depends on it...That means it's healthy. Then start flat ironing on airdryed hair... Or roller set.

well i am natural and i just flat-ironed my hair on Sunday. i have tried roller-sets and they work well. But this time i did about 10 bantu knots on my hair while wet. and when they air dried i flat-ironed each one. My hair came out straighter than with the roller-set or a relaxer. maybe you should try a "Bantu-Knot Set" like me. you might like it. also it took half the time of roller setting!

http://public.fotki.com/boingboing/note/before-going-naptural/bantu-knot-set/

well i am natural and i just flat-ironed my hair on Sunday. i have tried roller-sets and they work well. But this time i did about 10 bantu knots on my hair while wet. and when they air dried i flat-ironed each one. My hair came out straighter than with the roller-set or a relaxer. maybe you should try a "Bantu-Knot Set" like me. you might like it. also it took half the time of roller setting!

http://public.fotki.com/boingboing/note/before-going-naptural/bantu-knot-set/

Hmm that sounds like a great way to air dry in the bantu knots and then flat iron... Sounds better than air drying in 4.

Thinkpink, do you ever chelate your hair? I've learned from reading things here that no-lye relaxers leave calcium deposits that dry out the hair. Chelating gets rid of those calcium deposits. I know ORS creamy aloe is a chelating shampoo. You may want to try it and follow with a really good DC.

Back