Where to buy products in NYC?

Jaelin

I will be in NYC in Jan. and I am wondering where to go to buy some of the products mentioned on this board. One store that would have a wide range of products.

I am epecially interested in the 2 inch ceramic iron and the fixer?(it's supposed to help with split ends). I don't want to order the iron online because I like to see the box and decide yes this is truly what I want.

Also keraphix protein reconstructor, or other good brand.

A really strong brush.

Ray's in midtown is a great place to get hair care products..

The address is 721 8th avenue

tel: 212-757-0175

Hello Jaelin! As Vevster mentioned, Rays is a great place to get LOTS of good stuff (I'm carrying a Rays goody bag home today as we speak! /images/graemlins/grin.gif)!! Another good place is Wigs and Plus, at 49 (I think?) West 14th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. 212-675-4129. Smaller than Rays but they carry many of the products discussed here.

I 2nd Ray's mentioned by Vevster but believe it or not, Ricky's which is a chain of hair & beauty supplies all over NYC has an excellent selection of hair products and hair stuff e.g soft hair bonets, combs, curling irons.

Its got Sebastian, Aveda, Phyto, Nexxus you name it they have it. Plus they have a section of products aimed for AA hair. I personally think their high end hair section though is fantastic and v. extensive. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I will check out Rays.

I have been in a Ricky's before. I never really thought of it as a serious hair supply store because there were lots of different hair accessories in addition to shampoo etc., plus skin cremes and other things.

In the downtown/wall streeet area - there is a store that I still feel is far and away the best beauty supply in New York City (as opposed to including the outer boroughs). It is a store called Optima Beauty Supply on John and Nassau Streets (it's on John). They have professional products, Dominican brands, tools and more.

There is also a beauty salon next door to it that has a RACK of salon products - I mean every name and brand that you've ever heard of - and probably some you haven't. I'm not sure about the authenticity of some of it though. They just have SO MUCH and there's always some huge sale. I used to wonder sometimes if they were watering stuff donw and reselling. Never stopped me from my $50 a week habit in there though. And truthfully Inever had any problem with anything I bought there as far as it not being what I thought I was buying or being a different consistency than I'm used to. You could check that out too.

HTH

See Tracy
U are toooooo bad. Now I KNOW I am going over there. Fortunately I am on the lower East side and can only get to Kiehl's...but come February 2003 I will be ALL up in both of those places......OK I don't spend $50 per week....(maybe around $30..or I use to...)that is probably because I have so much stuff already...... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Do the 2 and 3 trains stop near there? Cuz I can walk right over to Penn Station and hop me a train.
Those streets sound familiar and I used to work on Water and Wall.

Ennyaa, you can take the 2 or 3 to Fulton Street to get to Optima. John is the next block over from Fulton.

Tracy, I have been DYING to check out Optima, but they told me that they close by 6:40 every day and they're not open on weekends! I'll have to leave work early one day to get there.

Thanks Kit Kat. I might go on my lunch break after the new year. That's what lunch breaks are for. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back