Where should I start?

anniev2

Ladies, i'll admit it. I don't have a clue where to start.

I came to this forum by way of seeing a youtube video online where one of the members mentioned the forum. So here I am.

There is so much great information that I don't know where to start. Should I buy products or use what i have an try to figure out what's the real deal with my hair? Should I chop it or trim it? Should I focus on moisturising or protein treatments? Protective styles, prepoo, cowash?? what does all that mean? Basically, I'm clueless! :drunk: And I just need assistance and that's why i'm here.

Here is my situation:
I wore sew ins for over a year to grown the relaxer out. But I got weak for my wedding in July and got a relaxer for my bangs. (big mistake but my hair looked good for just that day and the pics r nice too...lol) So here i am with shoulder legnth natural hair and I don't know how to maintain it.

I think my hair type is 4B. But what's the difference between a and b? Also, i have always suffered from dry (errry thang: skin, hair, nails, etc)

The newcomers guide is the perfect place to start. Also, search the member "sistaslick"...she writes articles and there's one on building a regimen. There are links in her siggy. Also, search a lot and read old threads. That's the best way to find answers to your questions.

Welcome!

If you have dry everything, you need to up your water intake. And moisturize everything like your hair and skin.

i would definitely say start with what you have. brush up on "good" and "bad" ingredients and get rid of what you cant or wont use, and only replenish if necessary. when i first joined i thought i needed EVERYTHING brand new; turns out some of the stuff i had was pretty great, and some of the stuff i thought i 'needed' was a waste of money.

i figure everyone can always use more moisture, so i would recommend upping your DCs to every week and moisturizing/sealing at least every other day. i am 3c/4a natural and cowashing is my best friend, so that's how i get most of my moisture. you'll learn really quickly what works for you and what doesn't -- for instance, everyone loves shea butter but my hair HATES that stuff unless it's wrapped up in some miss jessie's baby buttercreme. once you figure that out, your regimen will go on autopilot and all you have to do is sit back and watch it GROW.

fotki stalking was (and still is) one of my favorite things to do my first few months on LHCF -- it's as simple as seeing a beautiful sig pic or avatar and clicking on that link in the sig or profile. that helps you learn a lot about your hair, and hair in general -- what you can do with it, what it can become, how to care for it, etc.

oh, and use the search feature for any and EVERYTHING. this board has been here so long that everything's up here.

Back