Where do u shop for hair products?

gn1g

WHat's your favorite place to shop for hair care products?

I have had sooo many bad experiences with the Asian Owned BSS, that I HATE shopping with them. They are not fair and they give me a hard time when I buy faulty appliances or want to exchange something. Not too mention that they watch us like a hawk when we are in their stores. Not only that here in TX I never see any of us behind the counter. And my last complaint is that often times when I go in there another customer is having a cuss out with the store about some faulty product. I am not talking about just one particular shop I have experienced and witnesses this at many different stores.

I shop at Asian Owned BSS and Sally. I only buy appliances at Sally's because you have 90 days to return it for a cash refund or exchange with no questions asked which is really great. However here where I am I don't have any problems with Asian stores and they have things that Sally doesn't have.

Wow! I've never had such experiences. I feel very comfortable in my BSS and can spend so much time in them. As for favorites, I have two, one in DC (Judys) and the other is in MD (The Beauty Supply Store) both are Asian owned. They're my favorite because of the size. I don't care for small beauty supply stores...I need ROOM and SELECTION!

I never have problems in the BSS I go to either. They are always really friends which is good for them because you wouldn't get the chance to insult me twice. However I have had problems with the Sally's near me in Bay Plaza. I bought a curling iron that made a funky noise and smelled. So here I go to return it and they want to act like they won't take it back. So I point to the return policy right on top of the cash register and they are like well we have to check so they plug it in and lo and behold it smells and is making a noise. So I get my money back. But I would have gotten it back anyway, because I don't play that.

I usually shop at Arab owned shops. They have everything I want and at great prices. I also frequent sally's from time to time.

I usally go to Asian beauty supply stores. Lucky for me it isn't too much of a hike to Fordham Road in the Bronx where they are two big ones.

I have never really liked Sally's and I am swearing off of them officially after Saturday. They always try to push a particular product on you and it isn't based on whether it is good for your hair or not. It is usually a certain brand that is popular that month that they have been told to push by their managers. And they are not experts. The people at the Sally's on Fordham approach you, follow you around and give you unsolicted advice. I hate Sally's.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
But I would have gotten it back anyway, because I don't play that.

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif

Since I've gotten to the States I only came across one Asian owned BSS.....I like Sally's and of course Walmart.:)

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
I usally go to Asian beauty supply stores. Lucky for me it isn't too much of a hike to Fordham Road in the Bronx where they are two big ones.

I have never really liked Sally's and I am swearing off of them officially after Saturday. They always try to push a particular product on you and it isn't based on whether it is good for your hair or not. It is usually a certain brand that is popular that month that they have been told to push by their managers. And they are not experts. The people at the Sally's on Fordham approach you, follow you around and give you unsolicted advice. I hate Sally's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know after typing out that episode I actually went to the website to look for a place to complain but I couldn't find any.

My main supplier is an Asian owned BSS. And the owner is great! He'll even order products for me if I ask. Like Surge. I told him that I was looking for it, and the next time I went in he'd stocked it. Plus he has this points / rewards program. 90% of my product junkie dollars go to his store. After that are your everyday average Target, drug stores and Sallys.

It depends. For products such as oil sheen and plastic conditioning caps, I shop at Sally Beauty Supply. For Keracare products, I purchase them at the JC Penney Salon I patronize. For Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural, I shop at my local pharmacy.

northernbelle

I shop at an Asian owned beauty supply store across the street from me. I also go to Sally's. For conditoners I either go to the grocery store or Target. I also shop online for hair care products at fromnaturewithlove.com.

[ QUOTE ]
gn1g said:

I have had sooo many bad experiences with the Asian Owned BSS, that I HATE shopping with them. They are not fair and they give me a hard time when I buy faulty appliances or want to exchange something. Not too mention that they watch us like a hawk when we are in their stores. Not only that here in TX I never see any of us behind the counter. And my last complaint is that often times when I go in there another customer is having a cuss out with the store about some faulty product. I am not talking about just one particular shop I have experienced and witnesses this at many different stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally haven't had any bad experiances with Asian owned BSS but for most of the reasons that you stated I try to avoid them if possible.

I get most of my products from
Sally's
Wal-Mart
Health food stores and FLea markets (for natural products)

LOL I am going to answer this one for all my Barbadian ladies and any of you who are in Barbados and left your keracare detangling shampoo in the States and need an island fix
smile.gif

I shop at
Moods and Options (Chain)
Shae's (Chain)
Hair Zone (Chain)
JT's Beauty Supply Store (In Dacosta's Mall Bridgetown)
Beauty Essentials (City Center Mall)- has some great stuff!!

There is also a hair store in Mall 34 but I hardly go there, you can find some nice stuff at Knights Pharmacies as well.
And my good old resort is getting stuff brought in from the States
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
cuz it is MUCH MUCH cheaper

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Wow! I've never had such experiences. I feel very comfortable in my BSS and can spend so much time in them. As for favorites, I have two, one in DC (Judys) and the other is in MD (The Beauty Supply Store) both are Asian owned. They're my favorite because of the size. I don't care for small beauty supply stores...I need ROOM and SELECTION!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I feel you! Unfortunately my local area doesn't have any big beauty supply stores unless I drive an hour.
As far as my favorites;
-For products like Neutrogena and Pantene I shop Target (LOVE Target!!! I know Walmart is sometimes cheaper but I get claustrophobic in that place)!)
-For Aubrey products Vitamin Shoppe has the BEST prices
-Aveda products I purchase at the Aveda store because the staff is sooooo nice and very helpful and they have a punch card system were you can earn free products.
-I like to check out the JCPenney salon because you can get great deals on Nioxin and Biolage products sometimes.
-Trade Secret also has good deals and they have the punch card system as well(I've really made good on that being the PJ that I am!)
cool.gif

I usually go to Sally's for supplies, not so much for products. Walgreen's always saves me in a pinch. For products I usually trek to Beauty First (new national chain), Trade Secret(s?), Sephora and my favorite health food store. If I really need something I can't get at these places I will go to the Asian BSS, but I try not too. They are so large w/aisles and aisles of products.... to much for a PJ to handle.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anywhere!
laugh.gif
I go to Sally's every once in a while. Usually for appliances. But I nornally shop at Asian bss. They are close, cheap and have a better selection than Sally's. There are 6 Asian stores and 2 Sally's less than 20 minutes from my front door.
love.gif
The Asians used to follow me around the first few times I went in. I didn't take it personally because the stores I go to are always catching someone shoplifting.
frown.gif
But I'm in there so much now that they don't pay any attention to me anymore.

My only beef is that in the store closest to my house, the products are dusty and they are always trying to sell me relaxers and weave.
ohwell.gif
"New hair! Synthetic but can be curled like human!" "You buy relaxer today?"

NO!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
gn1g said:

I have had sooo many bad experiences with the Asian Owned BSS, that I HATE shopping with them.... Not too mention that they watch us like a hawk when we are in their stores....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!!!!! I thought I was the only one that has experienced this. I haven't shopped at an Asian owned beauty supply store in about 7 years. The last time I went, I was 17 and they tracked every move I made...

I mainly shop online for the value and because the products I use are hard to find in stores, such as Elucence. But if I need a quick fix, say an inexpensive leave-in, I'll just go to Walmart.

Online stores I frequent:

PleasantImage.com
Fromnaturewithlove.com
Sephora.com

Local Stores:

Walmart
Family health foods

Ulta mainly now that I've gotten into KeraCare and PM (they always have coupons/sales)

Sally's for my perm and occasionally an Asian BSS, but I like a lot of you don't like going in there. Usually, I'll just browse.

I shop at Beauty Lane (Asian-owned BSS), CVS, Target, or I order some products online (i.e., KeraCare).

Sally, CVS, drugstore.com, The Beauty Center (local chain of BSS, though I think I'll do more online as I have realized they are kind of expensive), the local pakistani grocer (for traditional indo-pak haircare supplies)

Back