Where do I start?

crystalhair63

I have spent my whole life hating my hair becasue it is thin, weak and perms make my hair even worse, my scalp is too exposed with perms and breakage is within a few days after perm. I wear wigs, weaves or braids constantly. I am trying this new attitude to embrace my hair. Maybe it's thin and weak because I spent so long hating it! Where do I start? My hair is thin in the front especially and always shedding. I am willing to try anything to wear my own hair that is healthy and thriving. I take not medications. What do you all say?

[email protected]

From what you've said I suggest seeing a dermatologist and/or going natural just to see how healthy your hair can be. When I was natural I was truly amazed at the strength, elasticity, and thickness of my hair. Chemicals are certainly not for everyone. As far as advice on going natural there are plenty of naturals here to provide it.

Try Surge Hair Revitalizer Plus 14!

You can also email them your zip code and they'll find stores near you that carry Surge products! The email address is [email protected]
wink.gif

I had the very same problem with my hair up until about 3 years ago when I decided enough was enough. I decided perms were just not for my hair. I knew that if I wanted long hair I would have to leave the relaxer alone! It was an easy decision for me but not for the people around me. Now that I've been learning from this forum I think I can possibly retain relaxed hair! But I'm not brave enough to try that! Besides I've fallen in love with my natural texture. I hope this forum helps you as much as it helped me!These ladies are NO JOKE!
smile.gif

Develop a good vitamin regimen be sure to add b5 to help thicken strands.
Try Surge and conditioner washes and keep hair moisturized.
Stretching relaxer was key for me I relax at 13-15 weeks instead of 6 weeks.

Deep conditioning is the single most important thing you can do to improve the quality of your hair. Beiginning with something is that is a good balance of moisture and protein might be just the thing to get you going on the right track.

If you don't have much, or you're pretty sure it can't be resurrected, going natural may be an option - if you like it wonderful and if not then you can gradually gain the knowledge you need from here to take better care of your hair and proceed as you wish from there.

Good Luck.

1. Start sleeping in satin bonnets or scarves and/or on satin pillowcases.
2. Throw out your drugstore combs and use seamless exclusively.
3. Decrease or eliminate brushing.
Drugstores and beauty supply stores carry satin bonnets and pillowcases. But most don't carry seamless combs.
Check http://www.tenderheaded.com for these hair friendly items, they're a good, reputable source.

4. Toss out your harsh shampoos (ammonium sulfates and sodium lauryl sulfate). Look for shampoos that contain sodium laureth or even better, sodium myreth sulfate.

5. If you wash every 2 weeks or less, try switching to once a week.
6. If you relax, be sure to do periodic protein treatments.
7. Use a good moisturizing conditioner.

That's a good start right there. Keep reading the board, do searches if you have particular questions and post a thread if you can't find the answers.

If my hair was in real bad shape I'd take a break from relaxers for now. Hope that helps.

Back