Where can I buy hair products in downtown Chicago

*KP*

I'll be in Chicago for work this weekend and with the strength of the pound against the dollar I am hoping to stock up on hair and hair products.

Where can I buy good quality weave in from? I'll be staying on the magnificent mile

Thanks,
KP

I've lived both places and IMO, next to NYC, Chicago is the beauty supply store KING! However, there aren't a ton downtown... I can't say for sure, but the closest to where you'll stay might be Sally's Beauty Supply at 24 E. Madison (between State and Wabash). Now, if you are willing to venture to the south side, you'll find BSSs on every corner (and sometimes two and three on a block). If you're looking for basics, though, Sally will probably be all that you need.

There is a store on Oak Street (high-end shopping) called Bravco that sells nicer type products like Sebastian, Paul Mitchell, etc. at good prices (I haven't been in years because I live far south, but I used to LOVE this store--come to think of it, I'm going there soon). The address is 43 E Oak and is a very short cab ride from the Mag Mile. If you want a little exercise, you can even walk.

ETA--I can't believe I did not mention the Aveda store in the lower level of the John Hancock Building right on the Mag Mile. I go there from time to time.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses guys. I will check these locations out.

Katt - when you say south, how far south are we talking? A short metro ride? If so, could you let me know the best station to get off at?

Do any of these places sell Mizani?

Thanks

Thanks for your responses guys. I will check these locations out.

Katt - when you say south, how far south are we talking? A short metro ride? If so, could you let me know the best station to get off at?

Do any of these places sell Mizani?

Thanks

When she means south, she means the South Side. If your only going to be in town for a few days, don't even worry about getting that far south because you won't have the time.

Now I re-read your question, are you asking where can you get a good weave from? I don't the Aveda store sells weave. Usually those Korean wig shops, they have it.

When she means south, she means the South Side. If your only going to be in town for a few days, don't even worry about getting that far south because you won't have the time.

Now I re-read your question, are you asking where can you get a good weave from? I don't the Aveda store sells weave. Usually those Korean wig shops, they have it.
She's right, you won't find weave at the stores I mentioned (you'll have to venture out I think) but Bravco does sell Mizani. They are supposed to have a website you can check out before you come: bravcobeauty.com, but when I checked it it didn't work:ohwell:.

Usually those Korean wig shops, they have it.

Do you have addresses for any of the Korean wig shops? I don't know the area at all but I'll be around (In Downtown Chicago and St Charles) for the week so I don't mind a little travel.

I'd really like to get great quality Remy hair as its quite expensive in the UK.

Do you have addresses for any of the Korean wig shops? I don't know the area at all but I'll be around (In Downtown Chicago and St Charles) for the week so I don't mind a little travel.

I'd really like to get great quality Remy hair as its quite expensive in the UK.

No I don't have any addresses, but again, they would be on the "real" South Side or the West Side. They put that kind of stuff in Black neighborhoods. Downtown Chicago and St. Charles, which is a mostly white surburb wouldn't have anything like that. And if St. Charles do, then it's probably one or two.

Chicago is not set up like other cities, it is extremely segregated and it's big as hell, so alot of this stuff that you are asking for, trust me, unless you got a rented car, you really won't have the time to go out to these places.

The only place I could think of, that is close to downtown that may have some weave shops could be on Roosevelt Road. But they have done so much changing down there, plus with the addition of University Village, i really don't know where they could be.

They maybe some wig shops on State Street. Like let's say between Van Buren and I don't know, maybe Madison? And around that area, I think there are some weave shops over there.

Maybe ask the stylists in the Vidal Sasson hair salon. They may know where are those hidden salons are downtown, because there are plenty. And they can give you a weave, but keep in mind, these are white salons and alot of them are high-end, so they may can give you a weave but on average they don't really "work" with Black hair.

The only place I could think of, that is close to downtown that may have some weave shops could be on Roosevelt Road. But they have done so much changing down there, plus with the addition of University Village, i really don't know where they could be.

They maybe some wig shops on State Street. Like let's say between Van Buren and I don't know, maybe Madison? And around that area, I think there are some weave shops over there.

Maybe ask the stylists in the Vidal Sasson hair salon. They may know where are those hidden salons are downtown, because there are plenty. And they can give you a weave, but keep in mind, these are white salons and alot of them are high-end, so they may can give you a weave but on average they don't really "work" with Black hair.

The bolded part sounds about right. I stay downtown on Van Buren and I have seen ONE beauty supply store on Jackson and State; in between Van Buren and Jackson. They sell weaves, hair products(not the good stuff), and I think a few wigs. Even though I live right down the street from it, I have only ventured in there a few times looking for specific things. It's like a typical BSS.

There is also a salon on State near Roosevelt that I have passed by that sells products like Biolage and maybe Aveda. Again, I have not been in there but I have noticed the products as I walked by.

I haven't seen too many other places dedicated to weave/wigs around here. We have a couple of Egyptian salons that you might be able to go to in order to get more information.

Insideoutpretty hope you got my reply to the pm, i'm having trouble wth my computer. I dunno if it went through or not.

Yeah now on 47th Street, right in between Wabash and Kind Dr., they got weave and wig shops over there. I passed by them today and thought about the poster that needs some. But you would have to take a train we call the "Green Line" and get off at the 47th Street stop.

I wouldn't advise that for a visitor, especially if they are alone.

Back