When you deep condition…

How much time to you spend massaging conditioner into your hair?

• less than 1 minute

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • 1 to 3 minutes

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • 3 to 5 minutes

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • 5 to 8 minutes

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • more than 8 minutes

Votes: 23 17.8%

• Total voters

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
How long do you spend massaging and working your conditioner into your hair?

I've been told I spend too much time—about 8 to 10 minutes or more—working it in, section by section. Like lotion, I'm convinced conditioner needs to be massaged into the hair, using body heat, to be most effective. I notice a huge difference, in the form of softer hair, than when I'm in a rush and just smooth some on my hair and hop under the dryer.

Do you think it's beneficial taking a little more time to work conditioner in, or is there little to no difference no matter how long you take?

TIA! :)

ETA: Of course I realized I asked a slightly confusing question. What I'm really asking is how long do you spend just applying conditioner before going under the dryer, hot towel, plastic cap, etc. ? Sorry! :o :)

Last edited:
I just massage it in till I feel that it's been spread around evenly..... I'd say about 30 seconds to a minute. I've never spent more than a few seconds rubbing conditioner in, so I can't compare. I'll try taking about 5 to 8 minutes at my next wash to see if it makes a difference. :D

Last edited:
I leave the DT on for at least an hour. Also I do leave it on overnight. :) But to section off my hair, apply conditioner, comb through, it takes waaaay more then 8 minutes to get through this thick stuff. LOL

Last edited:
I take more than 8 mins too. I work the conditioner into my hair with it in 4 sections. Make sure its on my hair properly. I don't rush my DCs.

I probably take between 5 -10 min to make sure every strand is covered with conditioner. I leave it overnight also.

My stylist takes about 3 minutes to saturate the conditioner in because of my hair length and hair type (4 a/b).

I massage in the dc long enough to make sure each and every strand of my hair is covered...usually 1 to 3 mins.

I think 1-3 minutes....I put it in then add a little water to make move around then make sure I get it in the roots.....I massage my scalp a bit out of trying to pamper myself but that doesn't last long...:look: I'm usually thinking about getting out of the shower ( brrrrr in the winter) to get under the dryer.....( ahhhh what we do for beauty...ok not just beauty but the process for getting and maintaining healthy hair!!

massage? i just slap it on and done!

i dont manipulate the hair when its wet

i slap humecto and wonder 8 oil on the middles and ends then all over and slap on a cap

takes around...10 seconds!

I've never massaged it. I just made sure that the entire hair was covered with the conditioner. I'll try massaging next time and see what happens.

i slap humecto and wonder 8 oil on the middles and ends then all over and slap on a cap

same here...messaging causes tangling at the root for my hair so I dont bother with the massage.

I've never massaged it. I just made sure that the entire hair was covered with the conditioner. I'll try massaging next time and see what happens.

Me too. I'm usually trying to reduce manipulation but better results might make it worth it. I'll go for 2 minutes and see if notice a difference. Right now I'm less than 60 seconds... more like 20.

I voted too fast and chose less than a minute before I read your whole post. I definitely don't "massage" the hair!:lol:

But I do spend at least 3 to 5 minutes applying the conditioner to each section of hair and I have noticed a difference.

maybe i shouldnt be a slap and dasher

i havent deep conned for AGES

i have a lovely affirm 5 in 1 waiting for me next week :grin:

It takes me more than 10 minutes to put deep conditioner on. I massage/smooth it down small sections of hair. I started doing this a couple of months ago after reading about a salon deep conditioning treatment where they take 15 minutes to thoroughly massage the treatment into your hair strands.

My hair doesn't tangle from this because I am not putting the conditioner on and then massaging my whole head. I am actually pulling out small sections and then smoothing the conditioner down. This is the same way that I would pull out small sections and smooth it or comb through it before flat ironing that section. My hair is very tangly and smoothing the conditioner down my hair helps to untangle the ends. When I rinse the conditioner from my hair I have to do very little detangling with my fingers or a detangling comb.

wow, it has always taken me 30 seconds or less to apply my deep condtioner (its funny cuz i'm deep conditioning as we speak lol)...i'm gonna have to try this method next time!!!

What she said. I don't massage my wet hair either for fear of tangles and shedding. I just put a heavy coating of conditioner on my hair and cover with a plastic cap. All in all, the process takes about 2 minutes or less.

It takes me more than 10 minutes to put deep conditioner on. I massage/smooth it down small sections of hair. I started doing this a couple of months ago after reading about a salon deep conditioning treatment where they take 15 minutes to thoroughly massage the treatment into your hair strands.

My hair doesn't tangle from this because I am not putting the conditioner on and then massaging my whole head. I am actually pulling out small sections and then smoothing the conditioner down. This is the same way that I would pull out small sections and smooth it or comb through it before flat ironing that section. My hair is very tangly and smoothing the conditioner down my hair helps to untangle the ends. When I rinse the conditioner from my hair I have to do very little detangling with my fingers or a detangling comb.

I just did it for the first time last night. That's exactly what I did/experienced. I also realized that I'm not covering all of my hair with my usual 20 seconds. How could I be? Although I can't say that I noticed anything different as far as conditioning, I did feel like my hair was less tangled because I was gently arranging the hair in a downward direction the whole time. It's genius! I love it! I spent 60 seconds on each half of my head.

Last edited:
More than 8 minutes. :yep: This is what I do:

1. Start in the back and work my way forward
  2. Take small section at a time
  3. Focus on my ends
  4. My end result is a well conditioned ponytail
  5. I pin it upward with a silver clamp, place on plastic cap
  6. Deep condition with heat for 20-30 minutes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only thing that takes 5-8 minutes is clay and coconut cream relaxer because those have to be worked in in small sections. Regular deep moisturizing treatments, around 3 minutes.

I voted 3-5 mins. I take a little time to get my hair saturated from root to tip :yep:

It used to take longer - about 10-15 mins, and I used to section it too. but now since I'm working with my short, shrunken fro all the time, it doesn't take as long and I don't section it.

I may start sectioning again though. I was thinking about this a little while ago.

I'm still taking the time to really work conditioner in my hair. There were a few months that I really slacked off and my hair became very brittle, so there's definitely still a difference for me. :)

Back