When will my naps come back?

DreamLife

I just did the BC last month and starting wearing my hair natural. Last week I got my hair pressed and I washed it out on Sunday. Once I washed it my hair had all these straight pieces sticking out of my afro. It looks horrible! Please tell me my hair will revert back to its natural state and that it wasn't damaged or something. :nono:

Today I just washed it and put it in about 20 twists in hopes that my afro will look half decent tomorrow.:sad:ARGH!

Usually when you use silicon based serums or protectorants the hair will act like that. Washing with a clarifying shampoo would have did the trick. Your naps will come back with each wash.

Thanks...I don't think I'll be pressing that often anymore. I'll have to go buy some clarifying shampoo asap.

Anytime a natural straightens her hair it doesn't need to be straighten often. A lot of people use the silicone based serums or protectants because they don't want the hair reverting back so quickly. It's nothing to worry about because the naps will come back and be just as normal. And you can do heat damage if the comb or flat iron is too hot or if you are applying products especially grease right before you straighten it.

I guess I will be Debbie Downer and say if after a couple of washes (2-3x) if you still have straight pieces your hair may be damaged and you will have to cut it off. You can not repair damaged hair. You can make it look better but you eventually will have to cut it off or it will fall off. I would prefer to be proactive.

make sure to DC!! if u DC twice or so and still do not see ur natural curl pattern u might have heat damage..

i would def use a clarifying shampoo to get all the serums out then DC and make sure to keep ur hair moisturized bc from experience I know that if heat damaged hair is not moisturized it tends to shed...

Thanks guys. Well at least its just a couple inches now and I won't be crying if I have to cut it off again.

This is my big fear with pressing/straightening, because I only do it a few times a year, for novelty.

Now it looks like I might have to do it more often in order to reduce the amount of hair loss (that inevitably results from combing/detangling my tangled mess of curls when I wash) I suffer.

I love my natural hair pattern and would be devastated to end up like my sis, who has been blowing out and Chi-ironing her hair for so many years that her former curls are half straggly straight, half "crimped" looking.

This is my big fear with pressing/straightening, because I only do it a few times a year, for novelty.

Now it looks like I might have to do it more often in order to reduce the amount of hair loss (that inevitably results from combing/detangling my tangled mess of curls when I wash) I suffer.

I love my natural hair pattern and would be devastated to end up like my sis, who has been blowing out and Chi-ironing her hair for so many years that her former curls are half straggly straight, half "crimped" looking.

I always believed that most people aren't knowledgable about applying heat to black hair especially when it comes to hot combs, flat irons, and curling irons. I don't even want to get into the blow dryer. It is all about technique. I like to hear that you only straighten a few times a year. Once or twice a year is enough for me. My mother been straightening my sister hair for half her life and her hair isn't damage. My sister gets her hair straighten probably about four times a year. I will say my mother straightens it every 3-4 months. My sister hair isn't damage, stringy, or breaking and she never has a problem reverting back to her natural naps. My sister hair is very kinky more kinky than mines and her hair is longer than mines and thicker and guess what, my mother don't trim her ends and they aren't straggily looking even after all the heat.

If you are losing a lot of hair from detangling, I think you need to find a new method. Straightening more is not a positive change if you want healthy hair.

Celestial, do you think maybe your sis's hair can stand up to more than mine because her pattern is tighter to begin with? Before all the heat damage, my younger sis had what I guess would be considered 3b-3c. Hers is thicker and hardier feeling texture than the European version of 3b (at least based on my curly Euro friends whose hair I've touched), though.

Her (very skilled Black male) hairdresser moved away, but she found a Turkish fellow who claims he does mixed-type hair a lot. I will be honest, he can do with a blowdryer what it takes most people a ceramic iron or pressing comb to achieve. He always makes her hair LOOK gorgeous straight, but when she washes it and lets airdry...oh dear, the permanent damage to the curl pattern is plain as day. :(

If you are losing a lot of hair from detangling, I think you need to find a new method. Straightening more is not a positive change if you want healthy hair.

Kranberry, I agree straightening is not a good move in of itself. I jsut don't know what to do to about this consistent hair loss. I try to be as gentle as possible and to use a rich conditioner and only detangle when in the shower with a wide toothes comb...I've tried washing/detangling 2- times a week instead of once a week, so the curls (Scary Spice size) have less chance to knot and mat... :(

Anyway, I made a thread about it last week called "help me win a hair bet with my mom" to get other ideas. Mommy thinks straightening/heat damage will be the lesser evil compared to losing so much hair.

Celestial, do you think maybe your sis's hair can stand up to more than mine because her pattern is tighter to begin with? Before all the heat damage, my younger sis had what I guess would be considered 3b-3c. Hers is thicker and hardier feeling texture than the European version of 3b (at least based on my curly Euro friends whose hair I've touched), though.

Her (very skilled Black male) hairdresser moved away, but she found a Turkish fellow who claims he does mixed-type hair a lot. I will be honest, he can do with a blowdryer what it takes most people a ceramic iron or pressing comb to achieve. He always makes her hair LOOK gorgeous straight, but when she washes it and lets airdry...oh dear, the permanent damage to the curl pattern is plain as day. :(

No, the tighter the hair the weaker it is and more prone to breakage especially breakage from heat. My mother just doesn't use the hot comb or flat iron as very hot. You really don't need it to be very hot or at its optimum temperature. My mother also doesn't put any grease in her hair and doesn't add any products right before straightening it. My sister hair is also washed twice a week and conditioned twice a week. My sister hair alwasy looks thick and bouncy when straightened; it never looks flat and 'thin'.

The blow dryer should never be set to its hottest or highest optimum when blow drying natural hair. I use medium heat or low heat (not on myself but on other people). It never looks bone straight but it looks bouncy, soft, natural sheen, and straighter. If a more straight look is desired then the person can use the flat iron or hot comb on lower heat.

don't panic, DreamLife, hon. :yep:
clarify (a mix of shampoo and baking soda works wonders), protein treat (i really like an yogurt and egg mix), and DC with the DC of your choice. this'll probably help.

Mommy thinks straightening/heat damage will be the lesser evil compared to losing so much hair.

I just caught this last statement and I think you're mother is right. I always thought straightening with heat was a lesser evil for those who hair mats and knots easily and that is why my mother does it for my sister hair. Trust me, it doesn't have to be damaging. A lot of people experience heat damage due to applying grease or other products right before they straighten the hair. Also, people tend to make the curling iron, flat iron, or pressing comb to hot which is not needed. Try twisting your hair and that may reduce the breaking. Another trick is to brush it. You can brush the whole part that will be twisted or you can brush the ends. Always use a very soft brush. You can use a bristle brush as long as its is very soft.

Thank you, Celestial for sharing your wisdom. I will try your way the next time I straighten. (And my mother will be happen someone agrees with her! ;) )

Kranberry, I agree straightening is not a good move in of itself. I jsut don't know what to do to about this consistent hair loss. I try to be as gentle as possible and to use a rich conditioner and only detangle when in the shower with a wide toothes comb...I've tried washing/detangling 2- times a week instead of once a week, so the curls (Scary Spice size) have less chance to knot and mat... :(

Anyway, I made a thread about it last week called "help me win a hair bet with my mom" to get other ideas. Mommy thinks straightening/heat damage will be the lesser evil compared to losing so much hair.

It sounds like you need to change your wash and detangling method. I'm one of those people who can't detangle in the shower. I have to be out of the shower, get comfortable, and detangle small sections of wet/damp well moisturized hair. Trying to do it in the shower just causes way more tangles, knots, and a race to get done before the hot water runs out (which means I'm not being gentle). Also, you should be washing your hair in braids so that it doesn't have an opportunity to get tangled.

OP, it sounds like you have heat damage and it could be permanent. Some people have success with dc'ing and using protein to get it to return to curly. But, it may be a lost cause. Next time, make sure you don't use heat that's too high, only one pass with the flat iron, and use a really good heavy duty silicone laden heat protectant.

Trying to do it in the shower just causes way more tangles, knots, and a race to get done before the hot water runs out (which means I'm not being gentle).

This is very true. <sigh> I know I need to sitt my butt down in the front of the TV and take a good hour to detangle the thicket. I've never washed my hair in braids before, but then again, it's rarely in braids because I can't braid and don't live near my sisters or mother.

Update...my curls and naps came back after three washes (never had time to buy the clarifying shampoo. But there is this small patch of straightness about 2 cm long, I think I'm going to cut it off and I won't be straightening my hair anytime soon, I'm too scared. I know there are healthy ways to straighten...but I'll just keep my natural hair for now.

I doubt it's permanent damage if you didn't have it hard pressed bone straight. We're talking hot comb off a stove...most modern things don't get that hot. As other pointed out, the silicone stuff may be keeping it straight. The texture will come back soon, don't worry so much! ;)

Yankee, a suggestion...do you detangle your dry hair before you wash it? This might help you overall because it removes the sheds which natural hair has a tendency to hold on to. It might look like more hair than you expect, but it's usually just sheds.

Thank you, Celestial for sharing your wisdom. I will try your way the next time I straighten. (And my mother will be happen someone agrees with her! ;) )

You're welcome. If you are familar with gold medal products they have some good products for straightening natural hair with heat. Many of their products are greaseless and others don't have any oils. They also have straightening products with good protein and silicone. It all depends on your hair.

Celestial, I put Gold Medal on my list! I am still in the process of reading through a zillion old posts to try to learn about protein, silicone, etc. It's funny how little I know about all this (considering I have a massive amount of knowledge about skincare). There is so much to learn...

Jamaara, I try to finger-comb when the hair is dry, but it's so matted and knotted that that actually makes me lose more than when wet! My texture is actually pretty fine. (It's Scary Spice size curls). I'm thinking about doing a protein product like Emergencee by Nexxus...maybe that will help strengthen it and prevent so much hair loss?

Back