When trimming is included in touch-up price ...

HermioneWeasley

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster! :)

I have a question: The salon I currently go to is great, they use Affirm Fiberguard Mild on me, which has been phenomenal. They are professional and courteous, but they have recently changed a policy, and I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Trimming is included in the overall price of the relaxer. I never get trims in a salon. Too much drama and nail-biting. The last few times I went there, my stylist tried to give me trims and I've nipped it in the bud. I've paid full price for the service even though I didn't get a trim, and I just kept it moving, not thinking anything of it.

This Friday I stopped in the shop to set up my next t-up appointment and my stylist pulled me aside and said that trims were now MANDATORY with all touch-ups. Apparently the owner feels that if women skip out on trims, they will begin to want to pay less since they didn't receive the "full" service. So in other words, if I don't want to get trimmed each and every relaxer, my stylist suggested I take my business elsewhere. :eek:

I was honestly speechless. The owner was there and I talked to her and asked if maybe they could just assert the rule by saying that the price is nonnegotiable and that whether you get a trim or not, the price will still be $X? She said no: This salon has always offered relaxer, deep conditioner and trim at one price and that more and more people were "gypping" (that's the word she used) the salon by bringing their own products and insisting that they pay only for services they received.

I really am at a loss. I am new to New York and I like this place. It was recommended by a coworker (who, I found out, loves the look of fresh trims, so she's cool with the policy). Does anyone else go to a salon where there are things included that you don't necessarily get all the time, and do you get static about it? I really think this salon is a little extreme.

No I dont go to a place like that and to be honest thats terrible- they cant make you get anything you dont want- U are the owner of your hair not them, I dont care if there professional or not. I would recomned another place, New York is a big city and probably has tons of great salons. A trim is not always neccessary in my opinion.:)

Nooooo. Please don't go back and call the stylist and let her know you won't be back because of this stupid policy. That'll stop you from getting tempted.:)

Anytime a place that is suppose to be based on customer service tells you what you have to have that's not customer service at all. That's them working through an assembly lines of heads. relaxer, deep conditioner and trim, relaxer, deep conditioner and trim, relaxer, deep conditioner and trim......:assimilat

Welcome! You'll see that we're all individuals here. :yep: Whatever method you're using that's best for your hair please find a stylist that will comply with that.

Last edited:
That's one of the dumbest policies I've heard, they don't even know if the hair needs a trim, this is how soooo many pple stay at one length forever. I've never heard of such a thing soon they'll be saying if you have NG you relaxers are mandatory. I say STAY AWAY FROM THAT SALON, and anyothers that are like it in anyway.

That's like going to Burger King and them saying , "if you don't take the pickles on that burger like we say that you must, you can just go down to McDonald's." They're stupid. It's your hair and your money. I've always heard that frequent trims where not necessarily for hair health, but a stylist's trick to get you to keep coming back. Something shady's going on if they are trying to force you in to something that you don't want.

Forget them.

New York is a big city and I am sure that you will be able to find a new salon that will cater to your requests.

HermioneWeasley said:
Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster! :)

I have a question: The salon I currently go to is great, they use Affirm Fiberguard Mild on me, which has been phenomenal. They are professional and courteous, but they have recently changed a policy, and I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Trimming is included in the overall price of the relaxer. I never get trims in a salon. Too much drama and nail-biting. The last few times I went there, my stylist tried to give me trims and I've nipped it in the bud. I've paid full price for the service even though I didn't get a trim, and I just kept it moving, not thinking anything of it.

This Friday I stopped in the shop to set up my next t-up appointment and my stylist pulled me aside and said that trims were now MANDATORY with all touch-ups. Apparently the owner feels that if women skip out on trims, they will begin to want to pay less since they didn't receive the "full" service. So in other words, if I don't want to get trimmed each and every relaxer, my stylist suggested I take my business elsewhere. :eek:

I was honestly speechless. The owner was there and I talked to her and asked if maybe they could just assert the rule by saying that the price is nonnegotiable and that whether you get a trim or not, the price will still be $X? She said no: This salon has always offered relaxer, deep conditioner and trim at one price and that more and more people were "gypping" (that's the word she used) the salon by bringing their own products and insisting that they pay only for services they received.

I really am at a loss. I am new to New York and I like this place. It was recommended by a coworker (who, I found out, loves the look of fresh trims, so she's cool with the policy). Does anyone else go to a salon where there are things included that you don't necessarily get all the time, and do you get static about it? I really think this salon is a little extreme.

They have some nerve! Is this a Dominican salon or are these black stylists?:look:

HermioneWeasley said:
This Friday I stopped in the shop to set up my next t-up appointment and my stylist pulled me aside and said that trims were now MANDATORY with all touch-ups.
What a crazy thing to even say! If I were a hair stylist, I would never let a crazy statement like that roll out of my mouth. :nono: The nerve of some folks.

That is not a policy, it is more like coersion. Like the previous posters, I recommend you not go back there. They'll probably lose more customers because of these "mandatory trims."

ETA: Whether you stay with them or patronize another salon, I definitely think you should let the salon manager/owner know how you feel about the new "policy." If enough customers gripe about it, perhaps they will do away with it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go back unless you like having frequent trims OR only go to them when you are ready for a trim. I've never heard of anything like this, NEVER. Just curious what does the stylist and owner's hair look like? :lol:

I don't think it would be a good idea for your to go back. That policy just does not make sense, and who are these people to tell you what you have to do every time you get a relaxer service. If their customers allow that to happen to them, there's no telling what the proprietor will want to enforce and how they will treat your hair in the long run.

:nono:

HermioneWeasley said:

Salons like to charge a la carte prices, but they don't like for patrons to request services a la carte.

insisting that they pay only for services they received.

Their policy is like trying to force someone to buy a combo, when all they wanted was a hamburger.

Salons have to realize that they are in business at the customers' pleasure. It's not a do or die situation where a person can't find somewhere else to go.

myco said:
Salons like to charge a la carte prices, but they don't like for patrons to request services a la carte.

insisting that they pay only for services they received.

Their policy is like trying to force someone to buy a combo, when all they wanted was a hamburger.

Salons have to realize that they are in business at the customers' pleasure. It's not a do or die situation where a person can't find somewhere else to go.
Exactly. They need to realize that the customer is the boss, not the salon.

Hair Cuttery has the trim included in the relaxer price. When I got my virgin relaxer in April I said no cut. But - I did NOT ask for a lower price. No one is EVER going to cut my hair again unless I want it cut. Please keep in mind that there have been numerous horror stories about cuts that require constant salon attention to look presentable. :mad:
Shop around for someone else.

I don't get why they care so much if you get the trim or not (unless they are trying to sabotage your hair growing efforts). All they have to do is explain to everybody that the price is non-negotiable and let them choose if they are going to get the trim or not. If that doesn't work, they can always keep the price the same and tell people that they are only paying for the relaxer and the trim is included free. Also, are you sure that it's actually their policy now? Maybe the hairdresser and owner/manager made it up just to get u to let the hairdresser trim your hair since you never let him.

Wow. I never thought about that before. My last touch up wasn't by my regular stylist who always trims my hair. This time the girl who did my hair told me I didn't need a trim, but I still paid the full price where the trim is included. I did have her do a reconstructor treatment which was an extra $15. This time I'm bringing my own bottle of Emergencee, I wonder if they'll still try and charge me the extra money even though I brought in my own bottle:confused:

Back