When Are You Oil Rinsing?

When do you oil rinse?

• Before Shampooing

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • After Shampooing (before deep conditioning)

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • After Deep Conditioning

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those that oil rinse before DCing -- why is it the oil doesn't seal out the effects of the DCner?

The oil rinse locks in moisture but does not seal out moisture. This is because you are using penetrating oils. However, If you're using mineral oil or petroleum/petroleum/paraffin which coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in, then thats another story-- your deep condition probably will not take very well.

i thought oil rinses were used when the hair is tangling

That's how it was presented to me, but I've never used it for tangles. It does much more than that. It strengths, softens, and moisturizes my hair all at once.

Last edited:
I LOVE castor oil for oil rinsing. I wet my sectioned hair, add castor oil to each section-root to tip. Let it sit 4-5 minutes and then rinse w/very warm water. Then cowash. Rinse with cool water. Final rinse with very dilute acv. Soft, detangled, shiny hair. So far so good.

An oil rinse
Step 1: Wet hair or shampoo hair & rinse out
Step 2: Saturate hair with oil or oil mix of choice & rinse out with warm water
Step 3: Apply conditioner of choice & rinse out with cool water

That's how I was taught to do it.

The oil rinse locks in moisture but does not seal out moisture. This is because you are using penetrating oils. However, If you're using mineral oil or petroleum/petroleum/paraffin which coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in, then thats another story-- your deep condition probably will not take very well.
virtuenow - thank you for answering. Dumb question: does this theory translate to dry hair....meaning, you can seal your dry hair (put oil on the hair first) and then moisturize it and moisture won't be locked out?

I don't know if this question has been already asked, but for people who voted "before shampooing"
for being an "oil rinse" the oil has to be rinsed by a conditioner.
i'm gonna quoted what exactly sareca said :
The part that makes it an oil rinse is using conditioner to help rinse some of the oil from your hair. Everything else is just a pre-poo, hot oil treatment, or an oil wash.

everything else is just a "prepoo"
what are your thoughts about this:ohwell:

It's really interesting, i'm wondering if using a ceramide oil and/or castor (which are not penetrating oils) if DC will take proporly on hair :s, your thoughts virtuenow
??

It's really interesting, i'm wondering if using a ceramide oil and/or castor (which are not penetrating oils) if DC will take proporly on hair :s, your thoughts @virtuenow
??

Krystle~Hime Castor oil and ceramide oils are both penetrating oils. Castor oil is the only oil I use for oil rinses, and they are better to me than any single conditioner I can name. I thought that was the point of ceramides. If they didn't penetrate hair, there wouldn't be so many womeon on lhcf raving about them. Maybe you're mixing these oils up w/something else. Here are some links:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...t-helps-us-understand-oils-and-butters?page=3

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=426570

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30171

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=536975

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=358365

Last edited:
I don't know if this question has been already asked, but for people who voted "before shampooing"
i'm gonna quoted what exactly @sareca said :

Yes, but Sareca herself goes on to describe the multiple ways she does oil rinses-- by themselves, after deep conditioning, etc. However, one thing is consistent, she says she always does it on WET HAIR. You can see some of this in her post on "deep conditioning on dry hair w/heat".

@virtuenow - thank you for answering. Dumb question: does this theory translate to dry hair....meaning, you can seal your dry hair (put oil on the hair first) and then moisturize it and moisture won't be locked out?

divachyk I think alot of women use that method of moisturizing and sealing on dry hair. I'm sure u already know that; but I do the oil first sometimes and then the moisture...don't ask me why, its probably backwards to some.

I oil rinse in b/w washes whenever I feel like my hair needs it, usually at least once a week. I wet my hair first, apply oil, rinse with water, and then moisturize and style. On wash days I pre poo with coconut oil on dry hair, idk if that counts as oil rinsing.

i definitely oil rinse after shampoo and before condish. otherwise, there is too much oil left over on my strands. the shampoo would remove too much; but condish does a nice job of just removing excess oil leaving me with buttery soft tresses :lick:

Last edited:
i definitely oil rinse after shampoo and before condish. otherwise, there is too much oil left over on my strands. the shampoo would remove too much; but condish does a nice job of just removing excess oil leaving me with buttery soft tresses :lick:

^^ this is me too! :yep: if i do oil rinse after conditioner, no matter how much i rinse, i will have some oil dripping from my hair long after my wash. (i've been embarrassed one too many times being out and about a short while after my wash, and having oil dripping down my neck or forehead with no towel or napkin in site... even tho i was sure to rinse and re-rinse and towel dry my hair before leaving) Also, since most of the time i use smelly amla, using the conditioner afterwards to do its thing and cut the oil maintains the balance of moisture and softness of the oil and condish, and also eliminates the odor.

I do oil rinses before shampooing (and I don't shampoo often-I mostly co-wash) and then sometimes (not exactly an oil rinse) I'll saturate my hair with oil then spritz it with water so that some's washed out and some stays in. My hair loves oil...

i'm gonna quoted what exactly sareca said :

Oops, ignore my vote then. I've been leaving oil on my hair with a cap for about 15 minutes before I shampoo because I don't want the shampoo to strip too much. Didn't know I was "prepooing". Dang I got so much to learn.

After cleansing or co-washing my hair before applying leave-in. I don't usually DC on oil rinsing day. I've also been using a home made "non-petroleum" grease mixed with shea butter instead of oil but otherwise still going strong. :)

@sareca - Are you actually using your grease mix to oil rinse with?

I go back and forth. It works well in after leave-in or after co-washing I don't oil rinse as much as I used too but when I do I prefer the grease.

Let me give you the recipe in case you wanna try it out. The recipe for the "unpetroleum grease" is super simple.

1. Buy beeswax ($17/16oz from Michael's craft store) or $1/oz from http://www.ebeehoney.com/beeswax_1_oz.html
  2. Freeze the wax (makes the next step less frustrating)
  3. Grate the wax with a cheese grater.
  4. Mix your oils. 1 cup of oil per ounce of beeswax. I fill a measuring cup with 1/2 castor oil and the rest can be anything you heart or hair desires (argon, sesame, olive, etc). Make sure you have a whole cup when you're done.
  5. Heat the oil for a few minutes (you can use a double-boiler but I didn't). Just warm not hot.
  6. Remove the pot from the heat source and add your 1oz of grated beeswax. (2 oz for 2 cups of oil)
  7. Mix thoroughly and allow to cool.
  8. Blend with a hand mixer or stick blender until smooth and lump free.
I don't use this grease straight on my hair. It's um... too greasy for me. I mix it half with shea butter. I apply it when I would apply the oil but it works great as an after leave-in step. It's lighter than grease, cheap, chemical-free, defines, elongates and seals curls.

Thank you ladies for teaching me about oil rinsing. Turns out, I already knew what it was but didn't know what it was called:lol: And now I know exactly how to do it!

Back