When a man says "you're different"

RUBY

A guy has said to me "you're different" on more than one occasion and I don't know how to take it and what he means by it. I've even asked him directly when he said it and something else to the same effect but he didn't really give me an answer so I still don't know what he means/feels when he says it.

So, what does it mean when a guy tells you "you're different?"
Has this happened to you? what happened?

I get this a lot and it usually means I'm weird.

Well, to be more accurate, I get this a lot from black men. Haven't been called weird by a white guy but there could be tons of reasons for that.

Anyway, I have usually had positive results from a guy who thinks I'm weird. It seems like if he has enough insight to recognize I'm different in some ways, he usually tends to appreciate it. It seems like guys who think I'm different/weird enjoy it.

I assume it means you are different from other women (i.e. a challenge because he can't do the same things and expect the same reactions) he has dated and that he will actually remember your name after it's all said and done :lol:

I assume it means you are different from other women (i.e. a challenge because he can't do the same things and expect the same reactions) he has dated and that he will actually remember your name after it's all said and done :lol:

Yeah this is what I read in Cosmo. Basically you're different from the other women he's dated in the past.

Your not the run of the mill type,which imho its a good thing when we live in a sea of barbie doll persona's.I have been told that often esp because of my thought process and insight in alot of issues.Love your originality..there will never be more than 1 of you.

It can have a good or a bad meaning. It can mean you are different from other women (who are all lazy/slutty/stupid etc)... but that's a trap. Because the second you do something he doesn't like, he's going to accuse you of being "just like every other woman" aka bad. When a guy means I'm different because I'm not awful... :nono: bad sign.

It can mean the positive things you ladies have described as well.

Too many reasons why he could have said that - good, bad, and shrug. You'd have to give a bit more info. Me telling you why guys tell me that won't help you figure out why they tell you that. ETA: The other ladies have already given most of the reasons why men tell me that.

Last edited:
I have always took it as a compliment. I guess it's all in how you see it. I don't want to be anyone else...I just want to be me so I should be different anyways because I'm distinctly me.

I'd say thank you and KIM

It means you two are still in the "honeymoon" stage....
It means he has googly eyes which will most likely remain until...
He gets good in the drawers.....

What it really means is that it is an attempt to draw you closer to him until he gets what he wants out of it, and the little every day annoyances start to happen, and then you become like everyone else.

File this under.....
Men making and wanting a woman to believe she is better than the typical female or oohhhhh so "special"

End game... The drawers

Play on players...........

No, I'm not jaded. Just older and wiser.......

^^ Wow. Well I guess my fiance will be in my drawers sooner or later lol! But every guy I've dated has said something like that (and they all knew they weren't getting into them without marriage).

What it really means is that it is an attempt to draw you closer to him until he gets what he wants out of it, and the little every day annoyances start to happen, and then you become like everyone else.

File this under.....
Men making and wanting a woman to believe she is better than the typical female or oohhhhh so "special"

End game... The drawers

DH said this to me about 6 years ago when we first met (we weren't dating then). He still says this to me :yep:

That usually a warning sign for me.
That means you a different from the other ladies.
Your either more educated, more conservative, a good girl, etc... different from the others...The next step is usually to challenge you to see how different and if you are
" 4 REAL".

Last edited:
Actually I guess it depends on how he said it. Like did she say it in a fun way or did he say it with a stern face?

Some people like "weird", some don't.

That usually a warning sign for me.
That means you a different from the other ladies.
Your either more educated, more conservative, a good girl, etc... different from the others...The next step is usually to challenge you to see how different and if you are
" 4 REAL".

:lachen::lachen::lachen: You do have a point there. It comes right before the "tests."

It all depends on the tone he said it in. In my experience it is positive. My husband still tells me that I am different and can never fully explain how, but the look on his face when he says it is always loving and he has a look of amazment! I take it as having a different feeling around you, there's a mystery about you that he would like to explore further (captured his interest)......

What context have they said this in?

Just randomly out of the blue?
In response to something you do or say?

Need more info.

One thing I've learned is to take all seeming compliments with a grain of salt. You really have to KNOW for yourself that you are different (in a good or bad way)...Guys will say any and everything to get things going their way or to see if you'll bite. I know this and have even been told this by brother like men.

I'm told I'm different all the time...I dont care really what you mean by it because I KNOW I am. The words that come out of guys mouths mean little...their actions behind their words tell what they mean, what they intend, etc.

Truth is, I accept and believe compliments more from females than men.

:lol: I really think this is it in a nutshell. My ex said that to me when we first started hanging out. When he was asked to explain what he meant he stated that he was intimidated by my self-esteem/security of myself and my education. It ended up being a bad thing IMO because I had no clue that he was so insecure and dumb. :look: We never clicked and ended up ignoring that (which I regret).

This one guy said that to me. But when I asked him to elaborate his response was, "I don't know, I can't explain it! There's just something different, something special about you!"

It's just another way to get you all giddy and think you have it going on. Just a mind game he's playing to see how far he can get with you.

File this under.....

End game... The drawers

Nuff said...... Love it!!!

I've gotten this, but in a good way. However I know I'm weird so even if they meant that I wouldn't care.

Back