What's your flat-iron routine Transitioners and Naturals?

keriplz

Can I read some of your routines for when you decide to flat-iron your hair? I feel like my HHJ is going very well so far, but when I do decide to straighten my hair, it's the same routine for when I was breaking my hair off (just add a heat protectant)...:nono: I would like to wear my hair straight today, so I want to see what you ladies do to get your hair straight without causing excessive damage.

Please include everything, from pre-poo, protein treatments, to blowdrying when its 80% dry etc.

Well my routine didn't get my hair pin straight last time but it did revert back completely. I'm transitioning and the majority of my hair is 4a ish

I deep condition with la kair cholesterol mixed with an oil for about an hour.

detangle with a denman to remove shed hairs.

rinse my hair off in the shower with an acv rinse for the last rinse to smooth the cuticles or whatever lol

plait hair into six sections, apply heat protectant when hair is damp and sometimes a leave in (next time i straighten it will be aphogee green tea and keratin and fantasia ic heat protect)

air dry completely

Take down plaits one by one straightening in very small sections and chasing with a denman, using about 2 passes

I used 190 celcius last time but i plan on using 200-210c next time because my hair is very coarse and needed abit more heat. i've used that temp before successfully but you may want to increase the heat more slowly until you find a temp you are comfortable with.

My flat-iron routine is rollersetting my hair, airdry then flat-ironing the roots only. I try to stay away from too much direct heat. :yep:
I use the Chi Silk Infusium but thinking about K-Pak heat protectant since I :heart: their products. :lick:

I flat iron once a month during the fall/winter. What I do, after washing and conditioning. I apply a healthy amount of Salerm 21 (I use as a heat protectant) and a dab of coconut oil on the ends, and I also spritz my hair with Chi Keratin Mist, then I put my hair in about 8 braids and let it airdry overnight. The next morning I take down each braid and then take small sections and swipe once to stretch it, and then the second swipe I use the comb chase method using this comb:

prosilk_comb.jpg

My hair turns out looking like an old school press using this. Super straight! Oh and I use my flat iron at 375 degrees. Using the chase-method has allowed me to reduce the heat on the flat iron but getting the same results as I would with higher temps. After I finish, I apply a little bit more coconut oil to the length of my hair and that's it. Don't really have any reversion issues.

Last edited:
Thank-you ladies! Since I am pressed for time I may roller set my hair, then press the roots. The only problem is that I don't have an over-head dryer.... Hmmm maybe I could borrow my roommate's blowdryers and have them pointed at my head lol

• DC with GPB.
  • Shampoo with Garnier Fructis then rinse.
  • Condition with CHI Infra Treatment applied to small sections at a time and combed through to ensure complete coverage of the strands.
  • Rinse with water and then ACV solution.
  • Airdry in Curlformers to stretch (I prefer this to blow drying because it = no heat for this step)
  • Working on one stretched Curlformer section at a time, undo, spray to coat thoroughly with John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray to wet, then press wet-to-dry with a Babyliss Pro Ceramic Flat Iron set at 230 degrees Celsius (446 degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Once all sections have been flat-ironed wet-to-dry (only one pass necessary), I take narrow sections again and coat very well with John Frieda Frizz Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula and pass the iron over the each narrow section once.
  • Finito!

No smell of burning protein/hair during the press, after the press or when I wash the press away; no broken hair pieces all over the place; reversion is 100% complete on washing my hair.

I typically don't flat-iron often but my routine is pretty simple and it lasts through the next wash day.
  • Shampoo in braids w/ castille soap mixed with jojoba oil and a few drops of SAA
  • 2nd Shampoo with Nexxus Sleektress
  • Condition with Nexxus Hydrasleek
  • Deep Condition with NTM DC with few drops of SAA
  • After rinsing with hair still in 4 braids, loosen one braid at a time and detangle with a wide-tooth comb and then a medium-tooth comb.
  • After detangling that one braid, blowdry with Nexxus Heat Protexx and Chi Silk Infusion using a paddle brush and the tension method.
  • Clip that section away and move on to the next until the entire head is done.
  • Flatiron on 360 degrees with Runway.

I'll chime in. I wash my hair 1x a week. FYI, IMO, some techniques will be different on naturals and transitioners(you have to work with 2 textures so aidrying, etc is not a good idea)IMO

1. Hot oil treatment on dry hair with any oil really (grapeseed, olive, coconut, vatika....)
2. Shampoo out with moisturizing shampoo (currently use green CON)
3. DC with silicon mix or an alter ego condtioner (I've noticed that a lot of those "all natural" conditioners don't really give me that professional swing and bounce. I detangle while applying my DC.
4. Rinse out with cool water leaving a tiny bit on. (no need for a leave-in unless you have really dry hair)
5. in sections apply a serum (i'm currently using Moroccan oil serum but you can really use any)
6. Blow-dry with comb attachment in sections. I am too far along in my transition to air dry or wait until my hair is partly dry. I have to blow dry on wet hair in order for my hair not to tangle or anything.
7. Then I use my FHI platform around 340 degrees (higher if needed). No products needed. Remember to work in very small sections especially on the edges and nape.
8. Results = relaxer straight, bouncy hair.

once a week

1. i wash with diluted shampoo

2. condition

3. apply my leave ins, lacio lacio to the length and ends, joico kpak smoothing balm or joico k pak color therapy styling oil to the roots

4. rollerset and sit under the dryer

5. flat iron roots only

I'm a transitioner, just passed the 11 months post mark!

My flat-ironing routine is to wash my hair in sections, deep condition and then roller-set. I usually let the roller-set air dry over night, and the next morning I lightly flat-iron just the roots.

Natural

1. Detangle
  2. Wash
  3. DEEP CONDITION
  4. DETANGLE check
  5. dry(air or with a dryer)
  6. Detangle check
  7. Flat iron In sections
For me I must emphasize detangling before washing and before styling. Some prefer to detangle with a head full of conditioner, but I find that minimizing tangles through the whole process works best for me conserving hair. If flat ironing I must make sure i pull my hair straight with my hands or a comb before the heating tool in opposed to a "Chasing" the comb through behind the flat iron. I minimize swipes that way. I want to again emphasize combing/detangling you hair properly before using heating tools not matter what kind you use. If you don't comb your hair out before pressing...then the hot comb can pull through you hair straight...but you will rip the knots out that way(and it can keep the hot comb from gliding through in a swift motion burning your hair...and it could hurt lol to pull your hair). If you flat iron your hair without detangling/combing, the plates will not remove tangles...they will only straighten the pieces that are relatively detangled and "heat matt" the tangle further waiting to be broken off when you do finally detangle properly(ask me how I know). It's better to take you time to try to flat iron you hair "right"(with proper detangling, small sections and heat control)then to rush pulling you hair out or not to get the level of straightening you want. When you practice straightening your hair "right" speed will be acquired. Oh and very important...keep track of when you straighten it...when done correctly you should not have to heatstyle again until your next wash or at least week whichever is longer.

Eta: Forgot to mention protectant I like the spays the best...but the serums are good when used minimally and concentrated on your roots. When I flat iron ppl think I have a perm...and when I wash it ppl think I have cut my hair because it shrinks right back up. I am not going to lie I have had to cut my hair in the past due to heat styling(spit ends/ loosened curl pattern) but that was during the trial and error phase of learning my hair, and it was never a drastic cut it just keep my length the same. Now I have pressing and flat ironing down to a science but I do it fewer times a year for hair health purposes.

Last edited:
I totally suck at personally straightening my hair but here are the two ways it gets done for me.

Salon (the straighter way)
pre-poo with camellia oil (I do this the night before)
Wash
DC with heat
Blow dryer on medium/cool heat with a paddle brush
FL iwith comb cash method

At home
pre-poo
section hair
wash
DC with heat
leav-in
roller set (I can not bring myself to blow dry)
then either blow dry (not so straight but you really can tell b/c I wear my hair up)
or flat iron roots.

Better results with the blow dryer method but the roller setting method will do for the winter.

Earlier in my transition I air dried, but after a while my hair wasn't having that. I transitioned for 18 months, and I straightened for about the last 9 months or so. I actually didn't flat iron then (never was a flat ironer when relaxed -- didn't get one until I went natural), but I did blow dry with a brush attachment. So I'll share both regimens.

Transitioning:
1x per week
1. Rinse hair, apply Burt's Bees Avocado pre-shampoo treatment for at least 30 minutes.
2. Shampoo w/Jason Natural Biotin shampoo
3. Deep condition w/Jason Natural Sea Kelp conditioner (I was also doing a lot of pj-ing at this time, but my main moisturizing con was sea kelp).
4. Apply Giovanni Direct leave-in and Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir to wet hair.
5. Blow dry in sections w/hatchet style dryer w/brush attachment (it was like 1600 watts I think. I put it up on high).
My hair turned out better when I blow dried WETTER hair rather than dryer, for the reasons Dommo mentioned above. Also, my pre-poo & conditioning products were usually focused on moisture and softening the new growth so I could blend the two textures more easily.

Now (Natural):
1x per week
1. Pre-poo w/protein con (AO GPB currently) on dry hair for at least 40 minutes. Sometimes mix in Kim Vo Moisturizing Masque for extra hydration.
2. Shampoo w/Kim Vo moisturizing poo or Organix Coconut Milk poo
3. Condition w/Organix Coconut Milk or Vanilla Silk conditioner in the shower
4. Towel dry. Apply Kim Vo Brilliant Luster Glaze (clear rinse) and plastic cap/cellophane for 20 minutes.
5. Rinse, gently towel dry a bit
6. Blow dry w/Organix Vanilla Silk Blow Dry cream and hot air brush. I was applying Ojon leave-in before this, but I ran out, so I'm just skipping it now and applying a little Organix Coconut Milk anti-breakage serum to the ends first.
7. Apply Giovanni serum & flat iron w/Sedu (I have a 1.5" and a mini styler -- I just plug them both in and grab whichever one is appropriate depending on the piece of hair). I do the comb chase method w/a carbon comb I got at Sally's. I tried it with a regular comb at first and the teeth are all melty and jacked up now. So um, yeah, do get that heat-resistant comb if you decide to try this method :lol:

My regimen now is focused on balanced strengthening because I'm using a lot more heat. GPB is protein, but not harsh; Coconut Milk is the "nourishing" line from Organix and has some light milk and egg proteins, but again not harsh. My Kim Vo products are moisturizing to balance it out as well.

Attachments: 1.Half and half hair during transitioning days 2. After finishing method described above for transitioning. 3. Natural hair after blowdrying w/hot air brush 4. After flat ironing with comb chase method

Attachments

• Hair - 079.jpg
    Hair - 079.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 51
  • Hair - 088.jpg
    Hair - 088.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo 90.jpg
    Photo 90.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo 99.jpg
    Photo 99.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 48
Well I'm part-time natural :look:(aka BKTd) so I don't know if I count but Imma tell y'all what I do anyway...

1. Wash
  2. Deep Condition
  3. Roller Set (with Lacio Lacio and Chi Silk Infusion)
  4. Flat iron Roots and I'm done
If I want the ends straight I'll put some serum on my hair from root to tip and pull the flat iron over my ends once and wrap

I got a roller wrap last week and she only used setting lotion, roller set, then ironed the roots, then some moisturizer, wrapped it, and put me back under the dryer. It came out really nice and light. I'm gonna try that tomorrow I think I'm gonna use some heat protectant though.

prior to the flat iron session i do a co-wash or poo wash, which ever turn it is lol and i dc (i always dc prior to heat)

blot with a towel and let air dry naked to about 85-90%.

add a heat protectant (either tresseme or chi silk infusium) and then blow dry straight on warm/cool (some parts just dont cooperate on cool so thats done on warm)

once straight from the blow drier. i section in 4 and go at it with the flat iron. i set it to about 350 i think (i need to look at the box and i'll edit when i do).

i then take each of the 4 sections and flat iron one to 2 inch sections going over each section no more than 2x. i also run the flat iron over each section very quickly being sure direct heat isnt sitting on the hair, clamp at the root and roll, clamp at the root and roll, then off to the next section.

once done my hair is straight, light, and bouncy. i then add some of my shea butter mix on my ends (mid shaft and down) and a smigden of oil over that. also sometimes instead of that i just use mizani h2o rose water hair dress. the only reason i dont do it every time i flat iron is cause its expensive here man!!! lol

at nite i cross wrap and cover with a pretty scarf (love that thing).

this way my hair stays straight until my next wash. *disclaimer* i only straighted once every 3mos or so*

hope this helped HHG!!!

shampoo
deep condition (provides lots of moisture for my hair)
apply serum (aka heat protectant)
roller set or blow dry or air dry
flat iron

I'm natural. Normally I wash, oil rinse, deep condition. Then I blow dry using Ojon hair tamer. If I air dry I have to pass the flat iron over my hair way too many times, so I find blow drying the lesser of two evils. Then I flat iron using Motions smmothing shine serum (in the past I have used spray heat protectants but I think serums give better coverage over the hair).

I am so glad to see this post! I have only flat iron my natural hair once(in March) and i plan to flat iron again on my 1 year nappiversary.

I have read about blowdrying and flat ironing and that seems to me like a lot of direct heat.

Steps I "will" use...not this is future talk.

Products
1. Aphogee Green Tea Keratin Mist
2. Mizani Thermasmooth or Aveda Smooth kit(I don't know which I want to use)
3. Hood dryer
4. Rollers
5. Hana Elite Flat Iron or Sedu flat iron

Process
1. Wash hair with kit shampoo.
2. Deep condition hair for 15 minutes.
3. Prep hair with Keratin Mist and kit serum.
4. Rollerset and hood or air dry. Or section hair into 4 parts and band hair and let it air dry.
5. Rub serum on hair ends
6. Flat Iron on 300.
7. Style.

I wash, dc w/ heat, rinse out, put a bit of coconut oil, let airdry in 4 loose-ish braids, when it's almost dry i unbraid (but don't comb or anything, just let it dry all the way) then I use the maxiglide section by section and straighten it. it gets bone straight and fab.

I flat iron once a month during the fall/winter. What I do, after washing and conditioning. I apply a healthy amount of Salerm 21 (I use as a heat protectant) and a dab of coconut oil on the ends, and I also spritz my hair with Chi Keratin Mist, then I put my hair in about 8 braids and let it airdry overnight. The next morning I take down each braid and then take small sections and swipe once to stretch it, and then the second swipe I use the comb chase method using this comb:

prosilk_comb.jpg

My hair turns out looking like an old school press using this. Super straight! Oh and I use my flat iron at 375 degrees. Using the chase-method has allowed me to reduce the heat on the flat iron but getting the same results as I would with higher temps. After I finish, I apply a little bit more coconut oil to the length of my hair and that's it. Don't really have any reversion issues.

I know this is off topic, but your hair is so lovely and it grows fast!

I shampoo and condition in the shower with Cream of Nature detangling shampoo and any Kerastase mask (I wash in braids). Then I let my hair airdry in braids to stretch it. Once dry I unravel one braid at a time, add sleek and shine cream and detangle. Once smooth enough I flatiron small sections and move on to the next braid. This process takes over an hour, but I get a great press with minimal heat (250-350 degrees).

Back