What's wrong???

pattyr5

Need advise.... hair has been acting strange for the last three weeks.

After I wash, my hair feels sticky and tangles up a lot. My basic regimen involves Hot Oil treatment, Shampoo (Keracare Moisturizing, DC, Roux rinse, leave in, setting foam and then rollerset. Once I'm dry, the hair is fine, but the stickiness is making detangling a nightmare. I recently bought the tangle teezer...which I love, but my hair just tangles up again so fast like didn't even detangle. I'm afraid that I'm going to end up ripping my hair to pieces, since I'm not too gentle to begin with.

So last night I did a hard protein (Aphogee 2 step) and DC with Creme of Nature (Argan) mixed with Ion Moisturizing treatment (I am 4 months post and plan to relax this week) and it was even stickier. Any ideas what I need to do?? Do I need to clarify or use a reconstructor? Should I hold off on the relaxer?

Any advise is appreciated.

I have been having this problem as well, so I would like to know

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

It's been about a month since I used a clarifying shampoo. Is that enough to remove build up or do I need to do something else?

It's been about a month since I used a clarifying shampoo. Is that enough to remove build up or do I need to do something else?
What product is your clarifying shampoo? If it were me, I'd go ahead and clarify and follow with a good moisterizing DC afterwards.

The only clarifying shampoo I have is by Una. I've got a bottle of Kiss My Face everyday shampoo that is super stripping...that may work too?

Yeah, it sounds like some major build up to me as well. I use Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to clarify my hair when it starts to feel grimey. I take a 15 ounce bottle and mix a 1/2 cup of ACV and distilled water. I pour it over my hair and leave it in for about 5 minutes AFTER I have shampoo'd and conditioned, then I rinse it out with cool water.

The only clarifying shampoo I have is by Una. I've got a bottle of Kiss My Face everyday shampoo that is super stripping...that may work too?

As a rule of thumb if the shampoo is clear, has sulfates, and no silicones it can be used to clarify

Sometimes, though definitely very rarely, a chelating shampoo is necessary. Starting on a fresh palette is important every now and then.

I'm curious why arent you using a more cleansing shampoo prior to using the Keracare shampoo.

I also use this shampoo however I always use a more cleansing one (Paul mitchell 3, I also have Kiss my face shampoo which I love and will be going back to it soon) for my first lather.

Keracare has one called first lather that should be used prior to using the detangling one.

Most clear shampoos are very drying which is normal and they dried my scalp a bit. HOwever since using the first then the 2nd my scalp is normalized. I make sure to rinse out ALL the keracare detangling so my conditioners can do their job. It takes longer than prefer but thats okay.

When I use this on my DD's hair I rinse out all the suds however I leave behind enough where I feel a coating. Its not bad it just feels like conditioner is on her hair

Last edited:
Sometimes, though definitely very rarely, a chelating shampoo is necessary. Starting on a fresh palette is important every now and then.

Chelators should only be used if one has hard water or if they swim alot. The ingredient that chelates helps to prevent redeposit of minerals that cause green hair or excessively dry hair.

I'm curious why arent you using a more cleansing shampoo prior to using the Keracare shampoo.

I also use this shampoo however I always use a more cleansing one (Paul mitchell 3, I also have Kiss my face shampoo which I love and will be going back to it soon) for my first lather.

Keracare has one called first lather that should be used prior to using the detangling one.

Most clear shampoos are very drying which is normal and they dried my scalp a bit. HOwever since using the first then the 2nd my scalp is normalized. I make sure to rinse out ALL the keracare detangling so my conditioners can do their job. It takes longer than prefer but thats okay.

When I use this on my DD's hair I rinse out all the suds however I leave behind enough where I feel a coating. Its not bad it just feels like conditioner is on her hair

My main objectives were always MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE and then detangling....so clarifying was very low on the radar. In fact before I ever came to this board I had NEVER used a clarifying shamoo :blush: Since I have a regular relaxer in and a texturizer, I was focused on moisture to try and derail any breakage.

I think some of the problem came from a cholestrol DC i did a few weeks back. There is defintely a very think waxy feeling to it and it has affected my hair.

It sounds like you need to clarify. You're using a lot of different products.

that's what I am thinking too. With the Aphogee 2 step, you should actually clarify BEFORE the treatment. I would still do a clarify wash as soon as you can anyway. I am wondering if the product buildup/combo is causing the issue. Let us know how it works out for you if you clarify :yep:. Good luck to you :)

My main objectives were always MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE and then detangling....so clarifying was very low on the radar. In fact before I ever came to this board I had NEVER used a clarifying shamoo :blush: Since I have a regular relaxer in and a texturizer, I was focused on moisture to try and derail any breakage.

I think some of the problem came from a cholestrol DC i did a few weeks back. There is defintely a very think waxy feeling to it and it has affected my hair.

I had a similar probelm with a conditioner I purchased it broke my hair I had to rewash my hair and start fresh.

Just use a regular shampoo everytime you are going to use the Keracare shampoo you should start always with a clean slate.

Need advise.... hair has been acting strange for the last three weeks.

After I wash, my hair feels sticky and tangles up a lot. My basic regimen involves Hot Oil treatment, Shampoo (Keracare Moisturizing, DC, Roux rinse, leave in, setting foam and then rollerset. Once I'm dry, the hair is fine, but the stickiness is making detangling a nightmare. I recently bought the tangle teezer...which I love, but my hair just tangles up again so fast like didn't even detangle. I'm afraid that I'm going to end up ripping my hair to pieces, since I'm not too gentle to begin with.

So last night I did a hard protein (Aphogee 2 step) and DC with Creme of Nature (Argan) mixed with Ion Moisturizing treatment (I am 4 months post and plan to relax this week) and it was even stickier. Any ideas what I need to do?? Do I need to clarify or use a reconstructor? Should I hold off on the relaxer?

Any advise is appreciated.

Does your hair feel gummy when wet? And when you try to detangle, does your hair feel like it's stretching?? When my hair acts like this, it means it's over-moisturized and I need protein or a product that adds strength to my hair. I use Aphogee's 2-minute Reconstructor and this usually corrects that. Sometimes I use Motions CPR Treatment and it's if it's really bad, and it's been more than 6 weeks since my last treatment, then I use Aphogee's Treatment for Damaged Hair.

HTH!

Thank you ladies....good looking out! I took the advise to use a clarifying shampoo and it worked wonders! Not only was it not sticky but it had a nice clean feeling without feeling stripped. My 4 month stretch ended and I relaxed just yesterday...I truly credit the great results to all the smart ladies here. Thanks again so much.

Back