Whats up with the church lingo during prayer?

Why do I hear the same thing from everyone when they pray?

like... intros:
"Father in the name of Jesus we come..."
"Continuing in prayer..."

or sayings
"In the matchless name of Jesus we pray..."
"We come to you with heavy hearts..."

blah... blah... blah...

When I'm at church I'm like come on guys get to the part!

Like whats wrong with...

God,
I love you.
I am glad you're here for me.
I am glad you listen.
Could you please help me with ____
I love you.
Amen.

I say prayers like that in public and people are like :look:

What is the point of all the haikus and soliloquies :spinning:

Last edited:

like... intros:

or sayings

blah... blah... blah...

Like whats wrong with...

God,
I love you.
I am glad you listen.
I am glad that you pray.
I love you.
Amen.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
Musicbnatural-smile- IMHO a lot of that is just tradition and religion (Remember those who prayed using vain repetitions? Matt 6:7) . I can relate to how you feel. I grew up in a church where they prayed the same prayer over and over again each Sunday:blush:. There are times where someone from the older generation will pray that way and you can sense in your spirit that person is sincere. That's different. Of course, I don't have the ability to look into anyone's heart but thank goodness God can. :look: I often pray the way you said you do. I do know God likes us to use scriptures while praying and he likes it when we reverence his many names found in the bible. He also likes it when we recall to mind the wonderful things he has done for us. I guess my prayers are varied but I always thank him for who he is, get to the point (ask), acknowledge his will (God this is why I'm speaking to you right now but let your will be done so that your kingdom can come), end in the name of Jesus (cause it is b/c of him we were adopted and have an advocate w/ GOD the Father).:yep:

I never thought about that...

You know, the simplicity of your prayer reminds me of how simple and beautiful a child's prayer is. They are short, sweet and to the point and mostly honest.

I think God appreciates that. Didn't He say to come to him as a little child?:yep:

like... intros:

or sayings

blah... blah... blah...

Like whats wrong with...

God,
I love you.
I am glad you listen.
I love you.
Amen.

Wow! The bolded part is a new one for me! I've never heard someone say the matchless name of Jesus. LOL!

But I feel where you're coming from. The preachers at our church sound like a broken record when they pray....

"Dear Heavenly Father, we come to you to say thank you..."
"Please forgive us our sins of omission and comission..."
"Separate sins our as far as the east is from the west..."
"Open up a windows of heaven and pour out a blessing..."

I would love to hear a prayer from the heart for a change. Something that is different each time. Jesus even warns the disciples in the Bible about how to pray:

Matthew 6

1Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Last edited:
My prayers range from "real talk" to "religious sounding" the reason for the latter is that God says to pray HIS word and that HIS will be done, not mine. So yeah I quote scripture in prayer. Just because those are His words doesn't mean that I mean it any less.

My prayers range from "real talk" to "religious sounding" the reason for the latter is that God says to pray HIS word and that HIS will be done, not mine. So yeah I quote scripture in prayer. Just because those are His words doesn't mean that I mean it any less.
I see nothing wrong with quoting God's word in our prayers. That is good. But there are some people out there who use God's word in their prayers so much that they make it seem meaningless and cliche. I don't know how to explain it. It's almost like it's not coming from the heart when they pray. I can just discern when someone is being real or fake.

I see nothing wrong with quoting God's word in our prayers. That is good. But there are some people out there who use God's word in their prayers so much that they make it seem meaningless and cliche. I don't know how to explain it. It's almost like it's not coming from the heart when they pray. I can just discern when someone is being real or fake.

Yes this is what i was talking about... I mean I'm smart and I understand what they're saying, but often SO (not an english major to say the least) is like :perplexed: babe... whatd he say LOL

Wow! The bolded part is a new one for me! I've never heard someone say the matchless name of Jesus. LOL!

But I feel where you're coming from. The preachers at our church sound like a broken record when they pray....

"Dear Heavenly Father, we come to you to say thank you..."
"Please forgive us our sins of omission and comission..."
"Separate sins our as far as the east is from the west..."
"Open up a windows of heaven and pour out a blessing..."

I would love to hear a prayer from the heart for a change. Something that is different each time. Jesus even warns the disciples in the Bible about how to pray:

Matthew 6

1Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Nice very nice...
I think he likes when we quote his word... I think after all that writing... (a whole BIBLE!!!) i'd be like ummm my children? u better repeat after me LOL...
but the other stuff just seems a bit extra...
theres a deacon at our church... me and my sister are like YEAH! when he prays, cuz he uses ALL OF THEM... he tells TALES while he is praying!!!! its quite a gift lol... they always get him to pray on those days at church when everyone is on the verge of tears after invitation :grin:

like... intros:

or sayings

blah... blah... blah...

Like whats wrong with...

God,
I love you.
I am glad you listen.
I love you.
Amen.

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I always say prayers like the bolded and still incorporate scriptures. When I first heard prayers like that ("matchless name....") , I wondered if the way I was praying was wrong, but now I know that I don't have to try to impress anyone with my words. I just need to speak to GOD with reverence, humility, and sincerity.

I think some people are better than others at expressing themselves simply and succintly not just to God but with everyday people therefore its helfpul to have prayer guides and it reminds them to say certain things. I daily pray in my head just talking to God but I also read prayers based on scripture- Im careful not to just be reciting them but to pray them but I'm still not someone who has verses for every situation in my head so they are very helpful.

I think that he hears both, it just never comes to me to say that... me and God keep it real... I wish I could sound so eloquent on the mic on Sundays :grin:
but then again thats not a reason to pray...

Jesus gives us an example of how we are to pray, Our Father, our prayers should reverence God Almighty, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. God saids "I am God Almighty" When we say these things we acknowledge that God is sovereign over all. This is the only way I would pray because I want God to know he is Lord of my life

Jesus gives us an example of how we are to pray, Our Father, our prayers should reverence God Almighty, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. God saids "I am God Almighty" When we say these things we acknowledge that God is sovereign over all. This is the only way I would pray because I want God to know he is Lord of my life

tru that! GOD ALMIGHTY!!!
my SO always says HE is the greatest one of all, the ONE AND ONLY... i love that

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
Musicbnatural-smile- IMHO a lot of that is just tradition and religion (Remember those who prayed using vain repetitions? Matt 6:7) . .:yep:

Hey! Hey! That'll be 5 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Mary's followed by 5 decades of the rosary.:sandm: Now, when I hear Jehovah Jireh, I laugh. Why? Because anybody I know who speaks Hebrew say it doesn't exist. I've said this before and it's embarassing to know I wasn't saying much :lachen:. I've looked and looked but I can't find that supposed title. And the absolute worst? Believe me...we've heard it...."Jesus was born under an apple tree." NOw I realize it wasn't a prayer but part of the sermon. Hahaha, "Sermon in the Orchard!"

Hey! Hey! That'll be 5 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Mary's followed by 5 decades of the rosary.:sandm: Now, when I hear Jehovah Jireh, I laugh. Why? Because anybody I know who speaks Hebrew say it doesn't exist. I've said this before and it's embarassing to know I wasn't saying much :lachen:. I've looked and looked but I can't find that supposed title. And the absolute worst? Believe me...we've heard it...."Jesus was born under an apple tree." NOw I realize it wasn't a prayer but part of the sermon. Hahaha, "Sermon in the Orchard!"

LOL :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I keep it simple, talk to God all day in conversation and quote scriptures.

Everyone has their way of praying. Some are quite eloquent prayers, I just took it that was the way God wanted them to pray; or that is THEIR way.

Either way, I really don't think it's right or wrong.

No it's not a reason to pray. But if prayer and intercession is your gift and it comes from the heart, why can't it be delivered with eloquence?

This thread just reminded me of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18. Pride is the enemy of prayer. The Pharisee wasn't asked to stand before a congregation to pray on behalf of others. He prayed a private prayer loudly so others could hear. There is a difference. :yep:

What made his prayer an abomination before God is what was in his heart (pride, no love for his brethren, no humbleness in spirit) and not how he delivered his prayer.

HTH!

I think that he hears both, it just never comes to me to say that... me and God keep it real... I wish I could sound so eloquent on the mic on Sundays :grin:
but then again thats not a reason to pray...

No it's not a reason to pray. But if prayer and intercession is your gift and it comes from the heart, why can't it be delivered with eloquence?

This thread just reminded me of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18. Pride is the enemy of prayer. The Pharisee wasn't asked to stand before a congregation to pray on behalf of others. He prayed a private prayer loudly so others could hear. There is a difference. :yep:

What made his prayer an abomination before God is what was in his heart (pride, no love for his brethren, no humbleness in spirit) and not how he delivered his prayer.

HTH!

I admire this gift in others when it is sincerely delivered. (Proverbs15 ".... A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit ... ") Yet if it is delivered by someone that is prideful or attention hungry it fails to fulfill its purpose, because the intent is perverse and self-serving. The same can actually be said about any spiritual gifts/ fruits of the spirit. It must come from the heart and the intent must be to glorify God. Great point Laela.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ges?q=oy+vey&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=60&um=1

I found "Jehovah Jireh" in the Bible:

Genesis 22:12-14:

12And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
13And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. 14And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

:nono: + :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Okay, where did the apple tree come in? *thumbs thru Bible* LOL

I didn't know that Jehovah Jireh didn't exist in Hebrew, but I do know that I can't stand when people call God Jehovah Jireh, since it's the name of a PLACE. That's like calling me Post Office because I work there :ohwell:. But God knows our heart when we pray. I know He looks at us like "Oh suga, that's wrong, but I love hearing from you anyway" LOL

I think that people use (what some call) church lingo because they have heard others pray that way. I dont think it is a bad thing as long as the heart is towards the Lord. I dont judge people who use it or those who dont.

God looks at the heart and the prayers of the righteous avail much.

laughing out loud in walmart
SAT word prayers drive me nutty bonkers

like... intros:

or sayings

blah... blah... blah...

Like whats wrong with...

God,
I love you.
I am glad you listen.
I love you.
Amen.

:nono: + :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Okay, where did the apple tree come in? *thumbs thru Bible* LOL

I didn't know that Jehovah Jireh didn't exist in Hebrew, but I do know that I can't stand when people call God Jehovah Jireh, since it's the name of a PLACE. That's like calling me Post Office because I work there :ohwell:. But God knows our heart when we pray. I know He looks at us like "Oh suga, that's wrong, but I love hearing from you anyway" LOL

I dont think people are calling God a place because Jehovah-Jireh is translated as God will provide or God will see. It is the meaning of the translation that gives glory to God because He is a provider. At least I know He has provided for me.

Jehovah -Jireh is the name given for the place where God provided for Abraham. It is translated God will provide or God will see. When people use that name it is a reminder that God is a provider because of the translation or meaning. He will see to it or take care of His people. There are other names people use to describe the different attributes of God such as Jehovah Shalom - Jehovah send peace or God is my peace. Sometimes it takes for us to personally experience somethings and understand a certain attribute about God. God is my Healer - Jehovah Rapha. There are some Christians who dont see God as their healer but some that do experience divine healing understand that God is my Healer or Jehovah Rapha.

To be honest, this is something that can be distracting to me in church services and prayers. words like "manifestation" "bestowed" "everlasting" "annointed" "on tomorrow" :lol:

i don't use a lot of those terms. As opposed to the King James speech, I try and keep my prayers as NIV as possible :)
when I talk to God, I keep my speech as close to everyday language as possible, while still acknowledging that He is All-Knowing, All-Powerful, All-Merciful. it makes Him seem more approachable to me, if that makese sense :)

I love very eloquent prayers...they are usually full of scripture. However, no matter how good a prayer sounds with big words or small words it doesn't matter if the right intent/spirit isn't behind the prayer.

Paul quotes philosophers throughout the epistles he wrote. Paul was well learned and speaks in all different forms in his letters. He preached to high society and to the surfs.

Solomon was a word smith. David came hard when he needed too (He has some straight from the gut prayers no fillers) and was very smooth other times.

It's all about the heart. I notice that the more I grow in Christ the deeper my prayers become. THe more I am able to talk with God using his own words (the bible) and the more intensity I have behind our talks.

I love that....In the MATCHLESS name of Jesus....sends tingles down my spine when I think about our King of kings and our Lord of lords...no other name can compare....

I'm not bothered by fancy words or simple word prayers. I've been at church and a 7 year old prayed and set the place off...Usually folks just nod and say that's cute, but the FI-YAH behind that prayer....My Lord..My Lord.

I've been at church and Dr. So and So get's up there and uses big words (he's learned) and quotes the Word...and SETS the church off. It's the SPIRIT behind the prayer. Period.

Beautiful :rosebud:

:yep:

I love very eloquent prayers...they are usually full of scripture. However, no matter how good a prayer sounds with big words or small words it doesn't matter if the right intent/spirit isn't behind the prayer.

Paul quotes philosophers throughout the epistles he wrote. Paul was well learned and speaks in all different forms in his letters. He preached to high society and to the surfs.

Solomon was a word smith. David came hard when he needed too (He has some straight from the gut prayers no fillers) and was very smooth other times.

It's all about the heart. I notice that the more I grow in Christ the deeper my prayers become. THe more I am able to talk with God using his own words (the bible) and the more intensity I have behind our talks.

I love that....In the MATCHLESS name of Jesus....sends tingles down my spine when I think about our King of kings and our Lord of lords...no other name can compare....

I'm not bothered by fancy words or simple word prayers. I've been at church and a 7 year old prayed and set the place off...Usually folks just nod and say that's cute, but the FI-YAH behind that prayer....My Lord..My Lord.

I've been at church and Dr. So and So get's up there and uses big words (he's learned) and quotes the Word...and SETS the church off. It's the SPIRIT behind the prayer. Period.

Back