What's the trick to getting 4a hair....

honeycomb719

What\'s the trick to getting 4a hair....

to shine w/o weighing the hair down w/ heavy oils? I can't get my hair to shine for the life of me. I put oils(like, Hot Six) to make it shine, but my hair just
guiness.gif
that stuff and be looking for more. Oil sheens do nothing at all. The only time my hair has shine is after it's pressed w/ a pressing oil. What has worked for you 4a ladies to get that shine?

Re: What\'s the trick to getting 4a hair....

I use hair polish. My three favorites are: Sensitive By Nature Satin Shine Non-Greasy Sheen Spray, Keracare Silken Seal Liquid Sheen, and Design Essentials Liquid Reflections. The first is the cheapest and the most effective. I spray it on in the morning before going to work and everyone comments on the sheen.

Good Luck,

MissB

I get great shine from 2 products...my own shea/oil combo(a little goes a long way) or Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey.... I also started getting more shine when I started rinsing with distilled water because I get less buildup from products. That may well be the reason the tow products I mentioned shine so well. My hair is always shiney. I couldn't say that 2 years ago.

[ QUOTE ]
to shine w/o weighing the hair down w/ heavy oils? I can't get my hair to shine for the life of me. I put oils(like, Hot Six) to make it shine, but my hair just
guiness.gif
that stuff and be looking for more. Oil sheens do nothing at all. The only time my hair has shine is after it's pressed w/ a pressing oil. What has worked for you 4a ladies to get that shine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honeycomb try this:

after washing and conditioing hair, rub some unrefined coconut oil, a lil EVOO oil and Smooth Intesnse Serum. After your hair has dried, a lil more Evoo will take it on home. Try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed
wink.gif

I know you don't want to here this but here goes...

A cold water final rinse...as in turn off ALL the hot water
swearing.gif
This will help to seal the cuticle (You WILL get used to it). When the cuticle is open the hair will not shine as it can not reflect light.

You may want to try a Semi Permanent color (Colorshines, Jazzing etc)...they come in clear,natural colors and burgundys/blues etc. and they have conditioning properties to them
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know you don't want to here this but here goes...

A cold water final rinse...as in turn off ALL the hot water
swearing.gif
This will help to seal the cuticle (You WILL get used to it). When the cuticle is open the hair will not shine as it can not reflect light.

You may want to try a Semi Permanent color (Colorshines, Jazzing etc)...they come in clear,natural colors and burgundys/blues etc. and they have conditioning properties to them
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Tekmommie, I second the colorshines....how could I forget that one
drunk.gif

I also recommend Colorshines...
grin.gif
or Adore or Jazzing - I listed them in order of shine quotient.
smile.gif

Also, silica adds a really nice shine to the hair. I would try that if you aren't adverse to supplements.

the only things i use on my hair for shine are serums and sheen sprays. the serums i've tried and liked are: Avon Dry Ends, Smooth & Shine, Frizz Ease, KeraCare Silken Seal (applied by hairdresser). the sheen sprays i've tried and liked are: KeraCare Silken Seal, Motions Sheen, Sheenique.

i always use a comb of both. the sheen removes static and adds shine. the serum is just for shine.
smile.gif

Thanx ladies for the info
smile.gif
. I did buy some hair color that I plan to use after I relaxer, because this brown color don't shine
frown.gif
. Not, in the least bit. Which is way I haven't been able to wear my clip-on ponytails, because the difference between the way my hair looks and the ponytail is just awful
mad.gif
I've been looking hi and low for that KeraCare Silken Seal. Where can I buy that? As for the cold water rinses, I called myself doing that but, I was leaving abit of hot water so I wouldn't freeze to death. But, I will try it, I might grow to love em since the summer is coming
smile.gif

Also, silica adds a really nice shine to the hair. I would try that if you aren't adverse to supplements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it make sense to take silica, if your taking evening primrose? I'm not sure if they are similar products, but for some reasons I thought they were.

They aren't quite the same honeycomb - no.....

Silica is derived most of the time from an herb called horsetail ( I think - I defer to the supp. experts on this one - but I think that's correct) and the herb itself creates a shine. I'm not sure why or how. But I know it does. I've taken it for years now.

EP is one of the Essential Fatty Acid - an oil that you take internally that moisturizes the hair and skin alike - for my purposes and level of understanding that happens because the body uses these fats to get everything all lubricated - including the skin and hair.

Any vits experts out there that can give a better explanation?

The one thing I can say definitively is that one is not a substitute for the other and they dos imilar things but in different ways....and for different reasons.
confused.gif

Ok - I'll stop now - I sound CUH-RA-ZEE....
laugh.gif

My hair is shiny when I use Clairol Vitapointe by itself. Also Designer Touch Oil Sheen gives me shine. I find that S-curl gives a shine, or rather a wet look on my hair. HTH

hey honeycomb, i had the same problem. the trick is finding something and giving your hair the time to get used to it. I started using design essentials reflections spray and at first it seemed like my hair was drinking it all, but after about a week and a half it started giving my hair just enough moisture without making it greasy and weighing it down. I spray a little bit on before i leave in the morning and a little before I wrap my hair up at night.

www.designessentials.com

[ QUOTE ]
guiness.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair cannot take heavy oils because it is fine, but I THINK I am a 4a. I love Aveda brilliant shine serum. But if your hair drinks up hot 6 oil, then this may not be enough for you either. Have you tried any of the silicone prodocts - the gloss type products?

A black dye or rinse. Black always has a glisten to it, with the added oils you should see a difference. My natural hair colour is black, but it's dull, nothing as rich as a jet black dye.
smile.gif

I tried sherryloves Giovianni direct with the added aloe and man o man did I have shiny silky hair not weighed down! too bad it was in a 2 braid protective style!

Semi-permanent colors like Clairol Jazzing or silicone sprays such as Let's Jam work for me.

L'Oreal Smooth Intense Serum
Phytolisse
Profectiv Strength N Shine
Sensitive by Nature Satin Shine
Castor oil

Have you tried adding the products to wet/towel dried hair? That's the key for me.

I have a jet black rinse on now, and it's shining some. I've been using that Profective Healthy Ends, and that's added a nice shine to it. I Keep my hair in ponytail, so that's the least it can do is shine. The heavy oils and glossers just roll down to my face and I be shining like I stuck my face in a bucket of greasy chicken, LOL
grin.gif
Plus, it hot out too, I keep my lil make-up pad that sucks the excess oil from yo face
laugh.gif
LOL.
Also, I've noticed that my hair don't shine if I don't put some type of heat to it. Like, my cuticles are not laying or something. Only blowing helps this look go away some.
smirk.gif

Back