What's the purpose of using water with grease

fourbyfor

What\'s the purpose of using water with grease

I've read some post where people said that when they were kids thats all their mom used in their hair. My mom used grease in my hair also but without water. So I want to know what is the purpose of adding water with the grease. Also how do you add the water do you use a spray bottle?

Re: What\'s the purpose of using water with grease

I tink it breaks it down a lil, adds more moisture to the other wise thick and stiff grease, water makes it more workable, Hope u understand that.

If you add grease to your hair and your hair is wet, it sometimes brings out a wave pattern in your hair or it kind of "locks in" your wave pattern (at least that's how it works for me).

When I was little, my mom would do that to kind of tame my thick bushy hair :-)

I use grease and water in my daughter's hair because I cannot/will not comb or brush her hair while it is dry. It is also much more sleek and shiny and it holds better without being greasy when water is added

Water adds MOISTURE for dehydrated hair. Grease or oil does not provide moisture, but rather adds FATS to dry hair, as well as helps seal moisture in. I'm finally beginning to understand that my hair is not just DRY, but it is also DEHYDRATED (particularly since I'm relaxed, but I think african hair genrally is both dry and dehydrated) and thus grease/oils alone is not sufficient to address the problem, but water or water-based product along with the grease/oils do the trick. Just my two cents.

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
If you add grease to your hair and your hair is wet, it sometimes brings out a wave pattern in your hair or it kind of "locks in" your wave pattern (at least that's how it works for me).

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
If you add grease to your hair and your hair is wet, it sometimes brings out a wave pattern in your hair or it kind of "locks in" your wave pattern

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

We called them water waves. My grandmother would grease our hair and scalp and dip a brush in a cup of warm water and brush our hair from roots to tips. Our hair was greasy as heck, but we were little kids wearing two or three ponytails so having greasy hair didn't matter.

The rare occasions I grease or oil my scalp I do after a shampoo when it is wet. I do it that way because it spreads better so I use less product, and when it dries you cant tell it was ever there so my hair isnt weighed down, but my hair has the extra lubricant it sometimes needs. I cant stand greasy hair and this way I dont get it.

Back