What's The Purpose Of Knowing Your Hairtype ...

• Thread starter Thread starter ballet_bun
  • Start date Start date
B

ballet_bun

What\'s The Purpose Of Knowing Your Hairtype ...

... just curious!!! Honestly, I can't tell what type/texture my hair is ... I'm a little clueless here!

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Re: What\'s The Purpose Of Knowing Your Hairtype ...

This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference.

This is from http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

Hi Balletbun
Knowing my hair typed (4a) was part of learning how to better care for my hair. My mother and older sister having fine 3a hair. The way they care for the hair is completely different than how my twin sister and I care for our hair. It use to be I could never understand why there hair would grow and grow with barely anything being done to it except a relax about twice a year and weekly wash and sets while my hair broke as soon as it grew a little. . Well now know that my hair needs moisture in the form of h20 often. Also knowing that my type hair is not coarse or hard to grow, but fragile and in need of a little nuturing. For me it gave me a starting point to be able to care for my hair properly. Having said all that not all hair types can be broken down into neat little catergories just like people!

[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference.

This is from http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

[/ QUOTE ]

According to that, maybe I am 3c then.
confused.gif

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

I think the purpose of knowing your hairtype is not just to see what kind of curl definition you have but I can relate to other ladies better. For example, when it comes to comparing hair products I go by what other people with my hair type like. I think this helps a lot.

Just out of curiosity ... are any of you good at figuring out what hair type someone has? If so, If I showed you a picture of my lastest newgrowth, could you tell me what I am????

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

i would love to inform but i just got enough newgrowth to see what my own hair even looks like
nono.gif
sigh--i know for a fact i'm a 4. not sure of the a and b though. my mom told me when i asked that my hair grows out in little groups of ink pen spring size curls...i'm like o-kay?????she told me she relaxed my hair when i was little cause it was too thick...gee thanks ma. anywho, ask your mom about your hair if possible, they always seem to know--hth jainygirl

Jainygirl, I asked my mom and she said the samething. Since when is thick hair a bad thing?

[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
Jainygirl, I asked my mom and she said the samething. Since when is thick hair a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

i know right???? then she goes on to say, you have really nice hair blah blah blah
cry3.gif
so i was thinking to myself "ma, you could have kept that to yourself, cause now i feel worse" sigh--i wish moms knew what they were setting us up for in the future before they slapped chemicals in our hair to make life more "convenient"
ohwell.gif

Ballet bun,

where is the picture you are talking about. I could take a guess.:)

Jainygirl, get this, I asked her why she never taught me to love and appreciate natural hair and she told me she never liked it.
nono.gif
It is so sad. She is really again me going natural too.

Ballet bun,

the new growth looks like 3c (maaaaaayyyyyyyybeeeeeee 4a-ish) to me. But I would go with 3c. Anybody else's opinion?

I can't really tell because of the picture quality. What did you do to the hair? Was it wet? But, I agree with the 3c/4a from what I can tell.

"What did you do to the hair? Was it wet? But, I agree with the 3c/4a from what I can tell."

-- In the 2nd picture it was wet, but in the 3rd and 4th picture it's dry. I only put in a leave-in by Carolyn Gray then oiled my scalp and hair with her HHIAB, and used her ends treatment, and put it in 2 ponytails to dry ... think that's it!

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Back