what's the most moisturizing

felicia

what\'s the most moisturizing

cream, oil, grease, or whatever? My hair is breaking badly on one side of my head. I'm assuming it's due to lack of moisture, but I don't know. I have WGO, but it's still breaking. I also, use humectress, olive oil and kiehls cream with silk groom. Do u think those could be the cause?
Please help! I'm desperate.
frown.gif
cry3.gif

Re: what\'s the most moisturizing

Do you think it may be lack of protein? Have you done any protein treatments?

Oils do not moisturize hair. The only real moisturizer is water. Look at the ingredients on your products. Do they contain water?

Try looking for hair products with water as the first ingredient.

Also look for moisturizers with humectants. Humectants hold in moisture. Vegetable glycerin and honey are both natural humectants. Sometimes I mix the two with olive oil for a moisturizing conditioner.

What exactly is your hair routine?

Make sure your hair is moist before you apply your oils. And don't mess with your hair too much. Wet it (maybe do a conditioner wash), apply your oils (or some curl activator), put it in a bun and leave it alone.

If you haven't deep conditioned with protein in while maybe you should. OTOH, if you deep condition with protein all the time, your hair could be breaking from the stiffness of the type of proteins you use. Animal proteins usually make my hair feel a little stiff...

Supergirl had a great post about all the different proteins and how they work. I can't find it because I can't figure out how to search w/o bringing up every single post.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
felicia said:
cream, oil, grease, or whatever? My hair is breaking badly on one side of my head. I'm assuming it's due to lack of moisture, but I don't know. I have WGO, but it's still breaking. I also, use humectress, olive oil and kiehls cream with silk groom. Do u think those could be the cause?
Please help! I'm desperate.
frown.gif
cry3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Felicia, if your hair is only breaking on one side, it could be due to factors other than moisture. Could be the way you're wearing your hair or the way you sleep on your hair.

Thanks for responding. This is my routine? I shampoo with suave clarifying shampoo, then CON, but this has been replaced with nexxus botanoils. I conition with keraphix, then followed by a mix. of humectress, suave hummecant, and pure olive oil. Then, I wrap my hair with hummectrees, creamw/silk groom and olive oil. I cover it with a satin wrap until it dries. after it dries I take it down and put it in a bun like thing. when i come home i take the bun down and put my hair in a loose ponytail then put on a satin cap. I do this everyweek. I haven't done an intense protien conditioner in about 1 1/2 - 2 months. Do u guys think it's bc of the wrap? what's another way I can dry my hair excluding heat and braids/braidouts? I also it's not bc of the way I sleep. I sleep on the other side.
Thanks everyone.

It's breaking for lack of protein. I just talked to my stylist yesterday about a similar problem. You need
1. to detangle your hair thoroughly
2. to treat it with a protein conditioner like GPB
3. to sit for 30 minutes under your bonnet dryer with a moisturizing conditioner.

HTH,
Meg

Could it be the wrapping??? Do you always wrap one way?? Wrapping can be very stressful on your sides.

I wrap my hair after every wash and the left side of my hair is shorter than the rest because of the way I wrap it. What other conditioners do you use?

i think your problem is with the clarifying shampoo. clarifying shampoo should be used no more than once a month especially for ebony hair unless your a swimmer or you exercise a lot. it will dry ur hair out when used to often so if i were you i would skip it and only use the CON

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
Maybe you shouldn't clarify so often, it could be drying out your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing.

The part of your hair that is breaking-what was done to that hair in the past? I used to have a sections of my hair where one side would frizz all the time or I had one section that was always broken off. But I had also been through highlighting disasters and under/over processing before then and that part of my hair was growing out and breaking off at the damaged point.

i think your hair needs more moisture before you put it in the bun thing. try curl activator. my personal fave right now is World of Curls gel. also consider trying the Vaseline challenge with that.

I experienced the same problem--breakage on one side of my head. The cause was wrapping. Combing the hair so roughly on one side while it is wet was making my hair weak. (Can you do a wet set instead?)

The Nexxus shampoo you are using is good, so is the Humectress (20 minutes under a warm dryer). I am really enjoying the combination of Biolage Leave In and sealing it with Profectiv Long N Healthy Anti-Breakage Strengthening MegaMoisture, a glycerin/oil moisturizer. It is leaving my hair very moisturized and pliable.

Thanks everyone. I decided to cut back on the clarifying shamppo, find a different method of drying, and use an intense protein conditioner this weekend.
smile.gif

Back