What's the difference between dreads & locs?

Ms_Twana

I asked this girl that I know if she was going to let her hair dread, and she said yes. Then she was like, "I'm going to let it loc." I didn't think anything of it until I was watching this realty show where this one girl told two other girls that she liked their dreads, and one of them said, "They're locs!!" And she kind of said it with an attitude as if she was offended by them being called dreads.

So, I just wanted to get educated on the difference between the two, so that I do not offend anyone by referring to their hair as the wrong thing. :look:

TIA!!! :grin:

Supposedly the term "dreads" came from Europeans seeing the hair of Rastas and exclaiming, "Their hair looks dreadful!!"

Thus the falling away from using dreadlocks, to dreds, to locks, to locs, etc.

hth,
p1

There is nothing "dread"ful about our hair :-) Locs just sounds better IMO...

In my mind I also thing of the free forming locs as dreads and the maintained locs as locs

I didn't know there was a difference. I say locs just because I like that word better.

Okay, I did a google search and got 2 or 3 different answers.

1. Dreadlocks are traditionally associated with those of the Ras Tafari faith and symbolize their devotion to God. Although the history of dreadlocks and its link to Ras Tafari has been traced back to the 1920's, it is believed that other cultures were loc'ing their hair thousands of years ago. Many don't realize that there is a difference between what has been traditionally called "dreadlocks" and the modern-day loc style. Dreadlocks have a deeply rooted history and religious affiliation. As a result, I feel that those with "dreadlocks" ought to be distinguished from those who simply chose to loc their hair as a styling option. Although in long run both journeys may have spiritual implications, the foundation on which they began is different. http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/locsforlife/page2.html
  2. There is no difference. They are two different words for the same thing. I have Locs and have had them for a little over a year. People who don't have "Locs" called them Dreadlocks because they thought they looked "dread full". That term mostly came from people who viewed "freeform locs" as not looking good or combed and styled. Styled locs(what you are probably looking to do) are generally called "Locs". That's what you see more mainstream women and men doing(like Whoppi Goldberg). http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080713070553AAqdWhG
I think #2 had 2 or 3 different answers itself. :lachen:

I asked this girl that I know if she was going to let her hair dread, and she said yes. Then she was like, "I'm going to let it loc." I didn't think anything of it until I was watching this realty show where this one girl told two other girls that she liked their dreads, and one of them said, "They're locs!!" And she kind of said it with an attitude as if she was offended by them being called dreads.

So, I just wanted to get educated on the difference between the two, so that I do not offend anyone by referring to their hair as the wrong thing. :look:

TIA!!! :grin:

OT: But was that the episode of True Life with the Black girl who hated Black people (but was married to one)? She was in a club trying to pick up girls when she met those two?

I never thought there was a difference. Two words that mean the same thing. In my area I hear more people say "dreads" instead of "locs".

*Some brothas look so sexy with them.*:grin::lick:

The word dreads is seen as an insult by many rastas as far as I know.
Locks is the politically correct word...

Nothing... The word "dreadlock" had a negative connotation associated with it so people started calling them "locs" to get away from it.

I remeber being at the black expo maybe 12 yrs ago in Manhattan and I gave this lady a compliment..I said" I love your locs! they look beautiful" and she said " thanks! and I really appreciate you calling them locs instead of dreds..." so from then on..I just thought that was the preferred words for them..

In Florida they call them dreads... I'm of course talking about black people who wear them for style. I've not talked to a Rasta in FL, so I'm not sure what they call them.

Here in GA, it seems to be interchangeable based on who you're talking to.

Okay, I did a google search and got 2 or 3 different answers.

1. Dreadlocks are traditionally associated with those of the Ras Tafari faith and symbolize their devotion to God. Although the history of dreadlocks and its link to Ras Tafari has been traced back to the 1920's, it is believed that other cultures were loc'ing their hair thousands of years ago. Many don't realize that there is a difference between what has been traditionally called "dreadlocks" and the modern-day loc style. Dreadlocks have a deeply rooted history and religious affiliation. As a result, I feel that those with "dreadlocks" ought to be distinguished from those who simply chose to loc their hair as a styling option. Although in long run both journeys may have spiritual implications, the foundation on which they began is different. http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/locsforlife/page2.html
I heard this one. Lots of people no a days like to loc because its fun. I could never think of whites "dreading/deadlocking" their hair. They just do it for fun not for meaning

When people say "dread" has a negative connotation is it because its associated with Rastas, or because its associated with black hair?

It comes from the history of the word, they were called dreads because they looked "dreadful", I prefer to call them locs, a short and cool word.

In my language, igbo, they are called "Dada", and that is what I will always call them.

It comes from the history of the word, they were called dreads because they looked "dreadful", I prefer to call them locs, a short and cool word.

In my language, igbo, they are called "Dada", and that is what I will always call them.
Me too, because I don't think there is anything dreadful about our hair. :yep:

When people say "dread" has a negative connotation is it because its associated with Rastas, or because its associated with black hair?

I think it is associated with black hair and being "untamed." I think it came from when dreads were more free formed, rather than twisted more neatly. It seems like it's kind of like the whole kinky vs. nappy thing. Some people prefer the term kinky over nappy.

What does the 'natty dread' term mean?
I've heard Rastas call some locs this because the hair naturally locked.
But what about the use of the natty AND the dread? Is that a negative...
This reminds me of the Black vs. AA definitions...

What products do you use on your locs to re-twist/twist, moisturize and scalp?

I have learned that what works best for me is keeping it simple. I don’t add product to my scalp unless it’s itching. I add a few drops of peppermint oil to Wild Growth Hair Oil or Sulfur 8 and apply it sparingly to my scalp.

If I do my own tetwist, I’ll make a homemade gel with Aloe Vera or Flaxseed.

Back