What's the deal with mineral oil?

nappystorm

I looked at the ingredients of some of my favorite hair product and most contains...:blush: mineral oil. I know minerial oil is a BIG LHCF :nono: but I never knew why.

Come educate a sista!

From what I have learned, it is a cheap oil that clogs the pores on your scalp or something like that, but to be honest, I was using hair grease over a year ago and it had mineral oil and petroleum......and my hair didn't grow as fast, and when I stopped using it, my hair grew better and faster, I could tell a difference....it just coats the scalp, the scalp doesn't absorb mineral oil........but all this is from my knowledge....do some searches you should find something. HTH

In Cathy Howse's seminar, the first thing she does is put a graham cracker in a glass of mineral oil. Then she gives her presentation. After the presentation (about 1 hour) she takes out the graham cracker and it is completely dry. The point she is making is that mineral oil seals out moisture...therefore it is no good for hair that desperately needs it like most african-american hair types. She says she has a Graham Cracker in her office that has been sitting there in Mineral oil for 2 years and still comes out dry.

I had noticed, but never knew why, my hair seemed so crisp and dry after using certain hair products...now I know why. My hair HATES mineral oil. I think that is why many of the KeraCare products don't work for me...they all seem to have mineral oil. Nexxus has mineral oil and sadly Mizani H2O nightime has it, but it is at the bottom of the list of ingredients and otherwise is a good moisturizer. Mineral Oil just seems to coat my hair and sit on top of it. I am so glad that I found this out, as it is one of the major reasons my hair has turned around.

HTH

My stylist told me that the problem with mineral oil is the type of mineral oil used (which varies product to product). If the mineral oil is processed so that the molecular weight is low, then mineral oil is not a problem (meaning it won't sit on the hair or scalp--it will penetrate like other oils). But if the molecular weight is high then it will sit on the hair and be :nono:

This makes sense b/c some products w/mineral oil my hair works well with, while others suck beyond imagination. Perhaps this goes along with where the mineral oil is listed in the ingredients :scratchch

I almost bought the Hawaiian Silky moisturizer (i forgot the full name) that ever raves about. BUT i saw that it has mineral oil! :nono: I'm shocked that ladies still use it after all these bad things about mineral oil...

All types of mineral oil causes breakouts for me and makes my hair sooooo hard. I notice the breakouts within 12-24 hours.

A lot of great products have mineral oil and still works great. It serves it purpose, it seals meaning water can't escape and for that its a great moisturizer. Not that I would ever use it alone but it works great when used in certain products. For example ORS pack gives me wonderful slip and moisture but has mineral oil.

My stylist told me that the problem with mineral oil is the type of mineral oil used (which varies product to product). If the mineral oil is processed so that the molecular weight is low, then mineral oil is not a problem (meaning it won't sit on the hair or scalp--it will penetrate like other oils). But if the molecular weight is high then it will sit on the hair and be :nono:

This makes sense b/c some products w/mineral oil my hair works well with, while others suck beyond imagination. Perhaps this goes along with where the mineral oil is listed in the ingredients :scratchch
Great explanation. Mineral oil coats the hair and over time can block out moisture from getting to the hair.

ORS pack gives me wonderful slip and moisture but has mineral oil.

Say it ain't so! This can't be right :nono::nono::nono:. This is the ingredient list I found online:

Water Aqua , Soybean Oil Glycine Soja , Glycerine , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Quaternium-80 , DMDM Hydantoin , Amino Silk Acid , Dimethicone Copolyol , Orange Oil Citrus Aupantium Dulcis , D'Limonene , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Dimethicone , EDTA , Chamomile Extract Anthemis Nobilis , Sage Extract Salvia Officinalis , Nettle Extract Urtica Dioica , Rosemary Extract Rosmarinus Officinalis , Aloe Vera Gel Aloe Barbedensis , Yarrow Extract Achilea Millefolium , Kiwi Extract Actinidia Chinensis , Polyquaternium-37 , Trideceth-7 , Triethanolamine , Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans , Methylchlorosothiazolinone , Methylchlorothiazolinone , Yellow No. 6 CI 15985 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Imma go double check the pack I have inside...

In Cathy Howse's seminar, the first thing she does is put a graham cracker in a glass of mineral oil. Then she gives her presentation. After the presentation (about 1 hour) she takes out the graham cracker and it is completely dry. The point she is making is that mineral oil seals out moisture...therefore it is no good for hair that desperately needs it like most african-american hair types. She says she has a Graham Cracker in her office that has been sitting there in Mineral oil for 2 years and still comes out dry.

I had noticed, but never knew why, my hair seemed so crisp and dry after using certain hair products...now I know why. My hair HATES mineral oil. I think that is why many of the KeraCare products don't work for me...they all seem to have mineral oil. Nexxus has mineral oil and sadly Mizani H2O nightime has it, but it is at the bottom of the list of ingredients and otherwise is a good moisturizer. Mineral Oil just seems to coat my hair and sit on top of it. I am so glad that I found this out, as it is one of the major reasons my hair has turned around.

HTH

AY to the MEN......

The other problems with petroleum based products are too numerous to mention here...
But - I stay as far away from them as much as possible.

other oils - like coconut - are ten times better for my hair.

This makes alot of sense also....:yep:

Say it ain't so! This can't be right :nono::nono::nono:. This is the ingredient list I found online:

Water Aqua , Soybean Oil Glycine Soja , Glycerine , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Quaternium-80 , DMDM Hydantoin , Amino Silk Acid , Dimethicone Copolyol , Orange Oil Citrus Aupantium Dulcis , D'Limonene , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Dimethicone , EDTA , Chamomile Extract Anthemis Nobilis , Sage Extract Salvia Officinalis , Nettle Extract Urtica Dioica , Rosemary Extract Rosmarinus Officinalis , Aloe Vera Gel Aloe Barbedensis , Yarrow Extract Achilea Millefolium , Kiwi Extract Actinidia Chinensis , Polyquaternium-37 , Trideceth-7 , Triethanolamine , Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans , Methylchlorosothiazolinone , Methylchlorothiazolinone , Yellow No. 6 CI 15985 , Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Imma go double check the pack I have inside...

ORS doesn't have mineral oil ...

I almost bought the Hawaiian Silky moisturizer (i forgot the full name) that ever raves about. BUT i saw that it has mineral oil! :nono: I'm shocked that ladies still use it after all these bad things about mineral oil...

Girl that is some good stuff.. I felt the same way... but I bought it anyway! I am in love! I don't worry about build up b/c I am constantly washing/co-washing... but U HAVE TOO TRY IT! I will send you a sample! LOL! :lachen::lachen::grin::grin:

Back