Whats less damaging?

foxybronx

A full head sewn in weave or individual braids.
Which has the less potential damage.
My hair needs a rest,I manipulate my hair EVERYDAY but i want a cute style (I hate buns). I want it to only be in 6-8 weeks.
Thanks in advance...

Note: I am really sensitive, so if someone disses me for wearing a weave I WILL get depressed and want to take it out. Should i just get braids then?

I would say braids. I've had a full sewn in weave and my hair couldn't breathe, I couldn't get to my scalp for washing and it would itch like crazy. I was also constantly worried that my hair wasn't getting enough moisture. With braids, you can moisturize your hair, wash your hair and condition your hair.

IMO braids are less damaging. I’ve had a sewn in weave years ago that wasn’t taken out properly and that didn’t allow me to moisturize my hair. I wound up with a section of hair that was probably 8 inches long being cut down to 3 inches in order to take the hair that it was braided into out. You won’t have these problems with braids. With braids you don’t have to worry about messing up the style if you choose to wash your hair. I know with a sewn in weave I didn’t want to wash my hair because I knew that my natural hair would revert back to its natural texture and it wouldn’t blend in with the weave. On the other hand, braids can be damaging if you don’t take good care of them. As long as you keep your hair moisturized and don’t pull them tightly then you should be okay. HTH

Well, I guess I'm the only one that thinks a sew in is a better choice. Wearing sew-ins the past few months has allowed me to grow my hair out. I got braids a while ago and they absolutely destroyed my hair. I wound up having to cut at least an inch of hair and my front edges are still recovering! I think that a weave is very easy to care for too. Just make sure that you get good quality hair that doesn't tangle up, and be gentle when you wash it.

And don't worry about people hating on you if you have a sew-in. Just shake them haters off!

<font color="purple">I agree with everyone else. As long as you don't have your braids too tight, it'll be less damaging. Also, make sure you moisturize your braids daily, cleanse the scalp with Sea Breeze or Witch Hazel, use natural oils so your scalp won't be drying and cause itching. Finally, you can do CW(condtioner washes), plain rinsing in the shower and deep conditioning. I think braids are the way to go for you. </font>

I wouldsay weave too, but to be honest, I've never had one. I just think individuals are SO damaging.

There's more pressure(weight) per strand because only a few strands go into each braid and then you have the heavy extension hair hanging off of that.

If you don't get breakage with braids I suppose they could work. I only get cornrows - they are the only thing that I can tolerate and that doesn't trash my hair.

Personally - I think BOTH methods are very unhealthy.
ohwell.gif

Thanks your advice ladies
Everyone has made excellent points, so now i am really confused
grin.gif
I might get flat twist, and a curly phoneypony or something. Since both braids and weaves have alot of potential damage and my hair can't take much.

Back