What's Good?! Breakage Strands Everywhere!!

MizaniMami

And they are not coming from my head.

As some of you may know I am on the GHLW challenge. So I don't comb but every time I wash/detangle or wash or cowash days. When I do comb on those days everything is cool. Hardly any breakage.

But since I have began to enter the world of haircare I have noticed strands of hair everywhere! On my floor, towels, clothes-during laundry day, Breakage and shedding! It's not coming from my head during wash days so where is it coming from? Any ladies can relate.

It may be due to the fact that I am more "conscious" of my hair and I may have not noticed it back then. What do you ladies think?

MizaniMami said:
And they are not coming from my head.

As some of you may know I am on the GHLW challenge. So I don't comb but every time I wash/detangle or wash or cowash days. When I do comb on those days everything is cool. Hardly any breakage.

But since I have began to enter the world of haircare I have noticed strands of hair everywhere! On my floor, towels, clothes-during laundry day, Breakage and shedding! It's not coming from my head during wash days so where is it coming from? Any ladies can relate.

It may be due to the fact that I am more "conscious" of my hair and I may have not noticed it back then. What do you ladies think?

I have the same problem. I moisturizer, I comb very gently. I don't know what else to do. I wash and condition once a week. I am conditioning right now. I am going to try moisture first, then protein next week and then reconstructor the following week. Basically I am going to try Supergirls advice.

The longer my hair gets, the more I notice hair a lot of different places. I think longer hair strands are more noticable laying around. When you shed 80-100 hairs a day, those hairs fall out of your scalp, even without combing. If they are hairs as long as the hair on your head is, it's not breaking, just perfectly normal shedding. I once had a friend with butt length hair and whenever she left my house, hair was everywhere! There's a reason crime shows are able to find DNA so easily.

I noticed the same thing. I think it's in part because you know what to look for now. I think the other part is when you comb/detangle some hairs fall to the floor or counter unnoticed. We tend to look at the comb and not all around the room when we're done combing. But, not all of them end up in the comb.

Me too! Since coming to this board, I've noticed every little hair that falls from my head, too. I get stressed when it appears to be too much, but then I remind myself that before I came to this board, I used to see a lot more hair on my bathroom floor, so I figure I must be doing something right.

nefertitiblack said:
The longer my hair gets, the more I notice hair a lot of different places. I think longer hair strands are more noticable laying around. When you shed 80-100 hairs a day, those hairs fall out of your scalp, even without combing. If they are hairs as long as the hair on your head is, it's not breaking, just perfectly normal shedding. I once had a friend with butt length hair and whenever she left my house, hair was everywhere! There's a reason crime shows are able to find DNA so easily.

:D :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

That is soo true!

MissVee said:
I have the same problem. I moisturizer, I comb very gently. I don't know what else to do. I wash and condition once a week. I am conditioning right now. I am going to try moisture first, then protein next week and then reconstructor the following week. Basically I am going to try Supergirls advice.

Me too! No matter what I do, I still see strands all over the bathroom floor. I have stopped all heat (I rollerset) and it is still breaking. I am going to try Supergirls suggestion and see if that helps. If not, I won't know what else to do.

Yeah ladies I have the same problem but I think it's because we know what to look out for now. I have a handvac that I use to clean hairs from my bathroom floor and every couple of days I'm doing this now. I just moved into a new house a few months ago and the hairs on the tile are more noticeable than they were at my old apt. I even had to ask my bf about it b/c I thought I was shedding alot but he said its always been like that. So I'm no longer paranoid. I just started my hair journey 5 months ago so before then I was not paying too much attention to shed hairs or anything like that. So more than likely nothing to worry about :)

LOL@ the crime scene comment! I totally feel it!

I'm glad I'm not alone. It's like, I think I am doing good, seeing no breakage on wash day and what not and I went to do laundry last night and i saw breakage strands all over my towels and washcloths.

I was/am confused.

Maybe it is because I am becoming more hair consious!

I tend to shed more in the summer months (not by much but enough for me to notice) but SO dosen't notice at all. Last night I made a comment about my hair being so thin, to which he gave me this ":eek: your kidding" look. Realistically I know its what my hair does and that for me its totally normal. However, I still think it sucks.

I'm finding also that the longer my hair gets, the easier it is to see (allt hese big black strands everywhere...ugggg!!!!)

-A

Arcadian said:
I tend to shed more in the summer months (not by much but enough for me to notice) but SO dosen't notice at all. Last night I made a comment about my hair being so thin, to which he gave me this ":eek: your kidding" look. Realistically I know its what my hair does and that for me its totally normal. However, I still think it sucks.

I'm finding also that the longer my hair gets, the easier it is to see (allt hese big black strands everywhere...ugggg!!!!)

-A

You are right about that one! I guess I need to stop tripping!

Hair will shed or break no matter how careful we are when it comes to taking care of our hair, but that doesn't mean we aren't making progress in reaching our hair goals. As long as it's less, then there's really nothing to worry about nor can we do much about it. Now if it were coming out in clots, then I would be concerned.

Duo-Tex protein conditioner. It is great do a search for it on this site.

Breakage (short pieces of hair) is easy to combat. Your hair needs protein or you may call it a reconstructor.

Barbara said:
Hair will shed or break no matter how careful we are when it comes to taking care of our hair, but that doesn't mean we aren't making progress in reaching our hair goals. As long as it's less, then there's really nothing to worry about nor can we do much about it. Now if it were coming out in clots, then I would be concerned.

This is definitely something I needed to read! Thanks!:D

You are not alone, I always find shed hair of varing lengths by my bathroom sink and it drives me bonkers. Even w/o combing daily hair just seems to fall there when I take me hair down from overnight twistouts or bantus.

Back