What's better? Having a regular stylists or not?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What\'s better? Having a regular stylists or not?

I've been thinking about getting my own hairstylist and plan on going every other week or every month (depends on how my tight budget
laugh.gif
). For years, I have been letting my mom or myself do my hair. Ive only been to the salon for proms and dances when I was in high school. Is it better to have a stylist or doing hair myself? I was referred to a stylist that is known to have "growing hands" and knows alot about healthy hair care (thanks to dreemssold
wink.gif
). Will my hair be healthier with an excellent stylist? After you vote, please indicate why!
smile.gif

Re: What\'s better? Having a regular stylists or not?

That all depends. If you are comfortable and happy with the results that you have had from you or your Mom doing your hair, then why would you want to change? I am lucky that I have a good stylist that can be trusted to do what I say and NOT what SHE wants, so I continue going to her. I don't think one is better than the other, it's all case-specific.

it depends on your stylist...personally if her hair looks [** potty mouth **] up then dont count on your hair to look any better
laugh.gif
i benefited from going only when my touchups were due
smile.gif
Mainly because she was in Buffalo and I went to school in MD. I relied on my friends at school to do my rollersets and flat iron my hair (sometimes with the flat iron). It looked just as nice
smile.gif
Saved me money too because I sure didnt have it at school.

I like having a stylist for my relaxer touch-ups only. Otherwise, I just do my hair myself.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
That all depends. If you are comfortable and happy with the results that you have had from you or your Mom doing your hair, then why would you want to change? I am lucky that I have a good stylist that can be trusted to do what I say and NOT what SHE wants, so I continue going to her. I don't think one is better than the other, it's all case-specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, whichever way works for your hair I say go for it.

I don’t think this is a yes or no issue. It’s a matter of choice and personal experiences.

SOME FACTORS TO CONSIDER:
-Quality of products
-Scissor Happiness
-Honesty
-Good reputation
-Professionalism
-Respects your opinions
-Understands your goals
-Understands Healthy Hair
-Detangling techniques
-Relaxing techniques (overlapping?)
-Coloring techniques
-Treatments (protein, condition, hot oil etc.)

Often times doing it your self may out weigh the benefits of a stylist and vice versa. My problem is that I can’t find one to do my hair to my satisfaction and one who LISTENS. So, until then it’s just me and “Tresses”.
wink.gif

Well, I've been referred to a stylist who is said to have "growing hands" and she knows a lot about healthy hair care (thanks to dremssold). So what do u think now?

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Well, I've been referred to a stylist who is said to have "growing hands" and she knows a lot about healthy hair care (thanks to dremssold). So what do u think now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, it will be easier to assess the situation, once you actually go to the stylist a few times. Then you can decide whether or not this may be for you and whether or not she truly has "growing hands".
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

take your chances, but dont rely on her too much
smile.gif

Aren't you a college student? save that money! knowledge is power.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Aren't you a college student? save that money! knowledge is power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont plan on going all the time or every week...maybe once a month or every other month. I would just like my hair to look nicer sometimes or have a different look.
smile.gif

If you're on a tight budget and having you and your mom do your hair has been fine, then keep it that way. I personally like having a stylist that does my touch-ups and does my hair for special occassions. I should mention that my hair grew the most and was most healthy when I got my hair done every two weeks and/or once a month.

I think you should have a regular stylist who can trim your hair the WAY YOU LIKE IT TO BE TRIMMED and a regular stylist who can relax your hair.

Let me add that, If I found a stylist who met most of my concerns, then I would go maybe once a month and for my relaxer touch-ups.

I would say generally, that is is better to have a stylist especially if you're relaxed. It's nice to have someone you can trust, someone who learns/knows your hair, and someone you can count on to do a nice job on your hair for a special occasion. (That last sentence applies to relaxed or natural!)

I agree that this is not a yes or no issue. It really does depend on you. Whether you have a great stylist or not, you still have to take care of your hair when you're not in her chair. Therefore, if you jack up your own head, then they may not be able to help you much at all.

Personally, I'd say to learn to do your own hair and just perfect that. My hair thrived when I stopped relying on a stylist and began relying on my own learning to take care of my hair. The other reason I stopped going to a stylist was because folks often told me that my hair looked better when I did it myself.

LOL@ the shout-out
smile.gif
. Well, I prefer to have a stylist, but that's because I don't know how to do my own hair. I just very recently learned how to wash my own hair. I want to try a set, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet
ohwell.gif
, and I'd chop all this mess off before I'd think about putting in my own relaxer. On the other hand, I have a friend who laughs at me for NOT putting in my own relaxer. It's such a matter of personal preference, ability, needs, and budget. I think a regular stylist is a good thing if it's someone you trust, you can afford it, and you are receiving benefits you could not yield on your own. The thing is, in your case, it appears you have managed so far, so good, so I'm not sure I'd go to a stylist "just because". I adore Kaye (and all she's done for my hair), so I'd recommend her, but if you don't think you need a stylist, of course, you ought not go. I don't have a stylist where I live now, but luckily, I live in an area that I don't care much about what my hair looks like. Otherwise, I'd be in the salon every week as I've done for most of my life. Out here, I'm content to just wear a ponytail. I think it's a pretty personal decision, and you'll be better able to gauge how necessary it is for you once you visit a stylist. HTH
smile.gif

I personally enjoy going to the salon every now and then when I can. Just sitting there, letting someone else do my hair, watching other people get their hair done....it's one of my homes away from home.
laugh.gif

I have regular stylist, because I have a relaxer in my hair.
If I tried to do it myself, honey, my head would be as bald & smooth as a baby bottom! She's really good at working with my hair & helping me grow it as long as possible. That's what she does with all of her clients : !

Back