What's a good smoothing product for hair that

InsertCleverNameHere

What\'s a good smoothing product for hair that

doesn't take well to serums. Serums leave my hair crunchy, hard and dry. However, oils usually don't smooth and shine well enough and grease is well, too greasy. What do you girls who dislike serums use for shine and smoothing?

Re: What\'s a good smoothing product for hair that

* L’Oreal Nature’s Therapy Unfrizz Taming Crème
This is great for smoothing for my hair.

I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined. You can usually find it if you have a BigLots near you since it's been discontinued.

<font color="brown">I like Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme. It smoothes and it adds shine, even when I airdry.

AngieK </font>

soulchild,

How do you apply the SS Loosely Defined. I bought some of this a long time ago but I don't know how to use it. How much and all that?

I have salon selectives loosely defined but I am looking for something for straight styles. I do love that stuff, though. hairlove, just put a little in the palms of your hair and work it through while damp. It gives great curls.

I guess I am looking for something for pressed or flat ironed styles.

How long have you used Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme AngieK? Also, does it seal moisture in?

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
How long have you used Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme AngieK? Also, does it seal moisture in?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="brown">I have been using it for about 8 months. Yes, it does seal in moisture and it adds great shine to your hair. In addition to the herbal extracts, it is formulated with aloe, glycerine, castor oil, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba oil. There are some silicones, but they are water soluble (no problems with buildup). I think there is a great balance between the oils and silicones, and you don't end up with a greasy looking result. I use it for roller sets, as well as braid-outs and regular air drying.

The instructions tell you to:

"Emulsify a pea-sized amount between fingertips and apply evenly through damp or dry hair to seal in moisture and add brilliant shine. Comb through damp hair and allow hair to dry naturally or use a blow dryer for a sleeker finish."

You can learn more about it at: www.aveda.com

AngieK </font>

Hairlove, I don't have a very specific method on how I use the SSLD. Usually my hair will be damp from a conditioner wash. I first apply my leave-in, then work the SSLD through. The amount I use is just enough so that I feel all my hair is covered. I don't layer it on too thick though. HTH

Have you tried John Frieda's Daily Replenisher? It's a surface smoother that's in the Relax line in the purple bottles. I've had good luck with it...
Take care,
G
Rose.gif

[ QUOTE ]
greenidlady1 said:
Have you tried John Frieda's Daily Replenisher? It's a surface smoother that's in the Relax line in the purple bottles. I've had good luck with it...
Take care,
G
Rose.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. It leaves my hair soft and smooth.

[ QUOTE ]
AngieK said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="brown">I have been using it for about 8 months. Yes, it does seal in moisture and it adds great shine to your hair. In addition to the herbal extracts, it is formulated with aloe, glycerine, castor oil, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba oil. There are some silicones, but they are water soluble (no problems with buildup). I think there is a great balance between the oils and silicones, and you don't end up with a greasy looking result. I use it for roller sets, as well as braid-outs and regular air drying.

The instructions tell you to:

"Emulsify a pea-sized amount between fingertips and apply evenly through damp or dry hair to seal in moisture and add brilliant shine. Comb through damp hair and allow hair to dry naturally or use a blow dryer for a sleeker finish."

You can learn more about it at: www.aveda.com

AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to the Aveda salon today to get some more Brilliant Anti-Humectant pomade. I asked the owner about the Brilliant Universal Styling Creme. She said she had no idea except it is a heavy product and it's best on coarse hair. She looked it up in her manual and it only listed the same instructions on the back of the styling creme. She admitted she has not yet worked with black hair but the styling creme probably works great when blow drying. She seemed very surprised when I told her I do not use heat on my hair. I told her I have an idea of how I will use it. She asked me three times to please let her know how I used it.

On the back of mine it also says:

"Get ready to straighten or curl hair beautifully. Plant humectants seal in moisture for shining results with curling aids and irons. Creates flexible curls and sleek finishes with enduring style and luster."
"Apply a small amount to dry hair. Distribute evenly with Aveda Paddle Brush. Brush, curl or straighten to finish style formaton with incredible shine. Or, apply to clean conditioned wet hair for light control and incredible shine."

Like you said AngieK, this looks (and feels) like a good product to use on wet hair right after a leave-in to seal in moisture.
smile.gif
It has a creamy-oily texture, but is not greasy.

Are you still using this AngieK? Anyone else having success with this product?

(bumping for replies from anyone)

[ QUOTE ]
sunny said:
elasta qp mango butter

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the mango butter and also suggest CD healthy hair butter.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
(bumping for replies from anyone)

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently used the universal styling creme for a press, with the anti humectant, it turned out ok. but not enough softening for me and it seemed to make it harder to press. i still say the satin creme press wins over the aveda for a press

btw i would see no point in using the universal styling creme if your not going to be using it for heat styling. from what the folks at the Aveda shop told me its designed to protect hair up to 400 degrees. and at least for my hair it left alot to be desired for moisture. the anti humectant was better for that purpose

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
...the folks at the Aveda shop told me its designed to protect hair up to 400 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any other products on the market that mention the heat degrees they protect up to?

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
btw i would see no point in using the universal styling creme if your not going to be using it for heat styling. from what the folks at the Aveda shop told me its designed to protect hair up to 400 degrees. and at least for my hair it left alot to be desired for moisture. the anti humectant was better for that purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that explains it. I used it in my hair to seal in moisture day before yesterday, after my leave-in. I also applied some Anti-Humectant and airdried as usual. Yesterday, it didn't look so good - very dry looking and dull. It also felt dry and stiff. It didn't have the usual swing and bounce. I figured it would be ok since it has good oils in it.
ohwell.gif
I washed it out last night. The Aveda lady wants me to give her a report on the results.
Thank you Irresistable.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that explains it. I used it in my hair to seal in moisture day before yesterday, after my leave-in. I also applied some Anti-Humectant and airdried as usual. Yesterday, it didn't look so good - very dry looking and dull. It also felt dry and stiff. It didn't have the usual swing and bounce. I figured it would be ok since it has good oils in it.
ohwell.gif
I washed it out last night. The Aveda lady wants me to give her a report on the results.
Thank you Irresistable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope thier interested in hearing my results....cause im'a have a fit up in dat place
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
...the folks at the Aveda shop told me its designed to protect hair up to 400 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are there any other products on the market that mention the heat degrees they protect up to?

[/ QUOTE ]not that i know of Hairlove

Yay! The Aveda salon let me exchange the Universal Styling Creme for another product today, even though I used some of it. I just got more Anti-Humectant. I explained how it really dried out my hair and she said it's probably because I don't use heat. She admitted never using it before on a client.

Back