what's a good flat iron brand??

Kurlee, whatcha wanna know? Since I first posted, I've grown to live it even more. I'm on this 'straighten every two wks/ dust once a month' reggie now and it's still working out well. For heat protectant, I use Oscar Blandi (works up to 470 deg). I have a weird patch at my nape that I had to stop relaxing. It was holding back my whole head of hair, breaking all the time and leaving me with a 'w' hemline. I straighten that patch on the exact midpoint btwn 230 and 300 degrees, the rest on 230. No, my 4c areas dont get bone straight, but its straight enough. I've been on this reggie since the end of August and the improvement is clear: thicker, no more 'w', and I'm finally growing out some 'permanent layers', lol. All that, and I actually stopped using henna this summer, so yay Solia and yay me. :lol:

Kurlee, whatcha wanna know? Since I first posted, I've grown to live it even more. I'm on this 'straighten every two wks/ dust once a month' reggie now and it's still working out well. For heat protectant, I use Oscar Blandi (works up to 470 deg). I have a weird patch at my nape that I had to stop relaxing. It was holding back my whole head of hair, breaking all the time and leaving me with a 'w' hemline. I straighten that patch on the exact midpoint btwn 230 and 300 degrees, the rest on 230. No, my 4c areas dont get bone straight, but its straight enough. I've been on this reggie since the end of August and the improvement is clear: thicker, no more 'w', and I'm finally growing out some 'permanent layers', lol. All that, and I actually stopped using henna this summer, so yay Solia and yay me. :lol:
Honey Bee
:lol: does it snag, do u get heat damage? does it last? i guess it's kind of hard to grasp that it's so good, yet cheap:look:. I'm used to having to find bargains on the expensive stuff, but this one is well priced and seems to have good reviews. How is it getting at the roots?

Honey Bee
:lol: does it snag, do u get heat damage? does it last? i guess it's kind of hard to grasp that it's so good, yet cheap:look:. I'm used to having to find bargains on the expensive stuff, but this one is well priced and seems to have good reviews. How is it getting at the roots?

Kurlee, :lol: Don't laugh, this is a major break-through for me. It snags a little, but only on certain parts of my hair. Those parts are fine like little white doll baby hair, just wrong. :nono: On the thicker strands, no. Heat damage? Since I'm trimming every month, I don't think it woukd have time to show, but no little broken pieces. In fact, I gwt more breakage with -out styles. Does it last? Yes, lawd! I usually wash twice a week, but I can't if I'm gonna be straightening so much, right? So I bought some Oscar Blandi dry shampoo (since I liked their heat protectant), and it's a good thing I did because the first time I did it, that mess lasted two weeks! Roots? Good. I use light tension and I do it vertically instead of horizontally.

Example: I'm 7 wks post, flat ironed maybe two days ago and forgot all about it (Hurricane Sandy, some dental drama I'm going through, putting together furniture, etc). I never wrapped it, I just did pin curls. Well, today, I decided to moisturize ("there's hurricane coming? oh, excellent time to play in my hair" :spinning:) and wrap and it came out nice and silky. (a little too flat for my taste, but that's fine hair for you, smh) My 4c patches are a little puffy at the roots but less so than I expected and it is pretty humid here.

Since I seem to have all the popular hair types on my head, I'd say, 4a and below, bone straight and silky below 300. 4b may have to use 300 (which I haven't done) or a little elbow grease and an extra pass (my preferred method).

Kurlee, :lol: Don't laugh, this is a major break-through for me. It snags a little, but only on certain parts of my hair. Those parts are fine like little white doll baby hair, just wrong. :nono: On the thicker strands, no. Heat damage? Since I'm trimming every month, I don't think it woukd have time to show, but no little broken pieces. In fact, I gwt more breakage with -out styles. Does it last? Yes, lawd! I usually wash twice a week, but I can't if I'm gonna be straightening so much, right? So I bought some Oscar Blandi dry shampoo (since I liked their heat protectant), and it's a good thing I did because the first time I did it, that mess lasted two weeks! Roots? Good. I use light tension and I do it vertically instead of horizontally.

Example: I'm 7 wks post, flat ironed maybe two days ago and forgot all about it (Hurricane Sandy, some dental drama I'm going through, putting together furniture, etc). I never wrapped it, I just did pin curls. Well, today, I decided to moisturize ("there's hurricane coming? oh, excellent time to play in my hair" :spinning:) and wrap and it came out nice and silky. (a little too flat for my taste, but that's fine hair for you, smh) My 4c patches are a little puffy at the roots but less so than I expected and it is pretty humid here.

Since I seem to have all the popular hair types on my head, I'd say, 4a and below, bone straight and silky below 300. 4b may have to use 300 (which I haven't done) or a little elbow grease and an extra pass (my preferred method).
have tried a sedu? I'm trying to decide between this and the sedu with beveled edges. I want to be able to curl it one time.

ghd....best flatiron I ever owned..
Yes! Hands down the best flat iron and I have tried them all. CHI, sedu, solia, FHI, maxiglide, vidal sasoon, babyliss...... etc.....

The GHD is pricey (I paid over $200 fo my latest one) and not widely available --as they should only be purchased from authorized dealers (no amazon, ebay etc) due to the all fakes (which are had to detect) flooding the market BUT so worth the investment. I have been using the GHD for over 10 years.

I've said it time again that I am surprised that the GHD is not more popular on LHCF... it's raved about on all other beauty forums I have been on.

Still using my CHI. Sometimes I use my Miniglide for the edges. I got good results with the GVP Iron too. I still have mine.

I stans for a SEDU iron, but I must agree its not about all about the iron. I had my Sedu almost a year before I began to fall in love with it. Why? I developed a full proof technique that worked for my hair. Besides my Sedu I have 2 other irons, but in all honesty none of them gave me the sleekness, shine and smoothness that my Sedu gives me and that's even with my technique.

Im selling my FHI platform flat iron for $70. Bought it about a year ago on folica and rarely used it. I mainly rollerset and airdry. Includes original box, manual and heat map. If interested please pm me.

Thanks

FHI. I've tried others and always come back to my FHI. It gets my type 4 natchal hair relaxer straight and doesn't leave my ends crispy feeling/looking like most other irons.

I have had a Sedu, Jilbere, Maxiglide, and a Babyliss...nothing comes close to my $40 candy apple red Andis Tourmaline Ceramic. I keep trying different ones, but I always go back to my Andis. I've replaced it several times over the years...and when I start straightening again I'm gonna get a new one. :yep:

My faves are my Sedu, Joico KPak Straightener, and Remington Teflon iron.
I also used to have a HANA and it was very nice also.

Back